Discussion of 2001 Red Burgs

Had a 2001 Engel Vosne Aux Brulees last night that was enjoyable, but VERY advanced, seemed much older (tasted blind).

Off the top of my head over the past year:

'01 Rousseau Chambertin: Drinking great like you Rousseau Chambertin tends to do. Young but come together and harmonious (as opposed to the '02 which I still find a bit disjoint). Totally loved it.

'01 Rousseau CSJ: Same

'01 de Courcel Rugiens: Very tight, great structure and material, just too young. Closed up but should be good.

'01 Dujac Clos St. Denis: really nice but young, really loved it.

'01 Armand Clos des Epeneaux: Corked

'01 Cathiard Malconsorts: nice but very reticent, nowhere near the aromatics on release, still needs time.

'01 Faiveley Latricieres: Very nice, open with complex aromatics, but no secondary notes, should continue to age. Very glad to have more in the cellar.

'01 Faiveley Beze: more compact, intense and complex than the Latricieres. Wonderful wine, just very compact, needs real time.

'01 Mugnier Fuees: Seemed fairly open, great fruit, not super complex but really nice in an understated way, still needs time but accessible.

'01 Hudelot Malconsorts: Drinking well but not super showy.

That’s just off my head, I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

Cheers,
-Robert

Faiveley Latricieres 01 was fantastic last year but has now closed totally.

Interesting, because I have had this and the RB at least 3 times in the last year, all from different cellars, and all purchased on release.

All showed considerable browning as far as the color goes, and in fact in one bracket it was in, we were drinking blind some other older DRC’s, and most thought the '01 was either a '78 or an '85!

I also had this a number of times on release (and loved it, that’s why I bought 7 or 8 bottles), so I clearly remember the wine, and it has significantly changed since release, and not for the better…

Paul,
I have had exactly the same experience and impression. I loved the '01 DRC RSV on release but it is a little 2000-like now and mature. Very surprising evolution…

At that tasting the surprises were the 2000 and 2004. 1999 was an anticlimax.

Had the 01 Engel Clos Vougeot on Monday. In very good shape and surprisingly lively, nice detail on the finish and quite pure. Had it along a 99 Trapet Latricieres which was decidedly funky and more evolved. Cheers Mike

What was the problem with the 99?..he asks pensively…

Nice Robert!

Also shows that the “faiveley is too rustic” issue ended a while ago.

I recent Mugnier Chambolle Musigny showed poorly with fading fruit and no structure. It was really tasty a few years ago so I’m not sure what happened as I expect this wine which has some premier cru juice to be showing much better at 11 years of age…

Leah, surprising result with the Mugnier. Sorry to hear it.

Had the Mugnier Fuees a couple of years ago and would agree with Robert - young but accessible and very enjoyable.

Cheers,
Doug

All of were expecting a lot more from this great vintage but the wine did not appear to deliver at that level. All wines were tasted in a non-blind format. Expectation bias I suppose…

Modest datum: multiple bottles of 01 Pavelot Guettes over the past couple of years consistent with Maureen’s and Yaacov’s comments. Quite brilliant a year and a half ago; underwhelming recently.

01 d’Arlot Clos des Forets was very open & pretty last night.
alan

2001 Rousseau CSJ was singing two days ago. Very nice balance of fruit and acidity. I think I see what some folks are talking about in terms of “advanced” coloring at the rim, but I wonder what that proves? If the fruit and acidity are abundant and in harmony, it seems the wine is hardly in danger of premature death.

Agree on the color, sometimes it doesn’t necessarily mean anything with old Burgundy (although '01 isn’t really old…).

What concerned me more with a number of the older bottles was the secondary fruit profile and the structure, both of which appeared to belong to much older wines…

Paul, it’s worth remembering that maturation of red Burgundy is not a linear process. I’ve lost count of the number of wines that have at one stage appeared pre-mature only for them to regain their youth.

i remember the color of a lot of 2001s being pretty advanced from day one, actually.

Good to know. I had the Rousseau Clos de la Roche last year and it was still young but oh so good. It had that perfect red cherry color of a young Burg and showed no signs of early age… This will be an interesting vintage to follow and I have to say most 2001’s I have had were superb!