Do you double decant before BYO to restaurants?

Interesting Howard. Once, years ago now, I was told (Mintwood?) that DC law prohibited them from serving from an open bottle. They made an “exception” for me that day but since then I have just muddled through with less attractive options (decanting myself at the restaurant, making an ass of myself in instructing the waitstaff, just gritting my teeth etc). You’ve never had an issue?

I’m mostly with Jonathan (I do dbl decant); in my case it’s usually for going to friends’ houses for dinner: I hate TCA surprises even though I typically bring extra bottles. Plus I don’t like sediment and I like to give the wines a bit of air, or even more than a bit.

Never. Do it all the time.

I’ve been turned away at a couple of CA restaurants for this practice (Russo’s in Santa Rosa was one) - so I don’t try it anymore.

Howard, I’m not clear on what you mean.

Howard meant to quote Neal’s question

In WA it’s also not allowed legally apparently. Altho notnsure what the specific law is.

Turned away at cafe Juanita (actually we walked out since they used to let us and suddenly one time said no).
Other places have said it’s not allowed but made exceptions etc.

I ah-so the cork out. Clean bottle/cork. Push back in. The capsule I just say I’m checking for fill/issues. Never a problem. I don’t think restaurants are looking to be fussy. They sometimes just don’t want to openly violate a law. So if there’s a cork in there they won’t say anything.

Like one previous poster, I drop off old wines at the restaurant at least a few days ahead of time. This only works with wine-savvy restaurants, but I’m not bringing an old BYOB to any other kind.

Dan Kravitz

This.

I hit respond to the wrong message. I meant to respond to Neal’s reply to my message.

I am with Howard. I will double decant a bottle where I think it will need time or throw sediment - but that’s if I have my crap together enough to ha e picked my bottle out way ahead of time, etc. Have not yet had issues with bringing a opened and then recorked bottle into a restaurant but admit that it could happen. Not sure what DC law says.

If I bring an old bottle and don’t DD it, I will bring my Durand. I trust no one to open an old bottle…

When you double it do you pour it into another decanter or bottle if the original bottle has sediment?

No. I wash out the bottle, pour the wine back in and put a stopper in it (usually, but not always, not the original cork).

Put it in the trunk. What’s the problem?

I agree, nothing worse than a muddled older bottle with shaken up sediment at a dinner.

However my desire to open and decant prior is certainly specific to the wine, not concern wrt appearance.

Your local laws could create problems as Don has noted. I know they’re tough on this in TX.

For those who do this frequently, do you have a rule of thumb for how long to DD before the dinner start time? Does it differ for burgs (Howard?) versus BDX or other reds?

I haven’t done this but plan to start experimenting with Barolo and BDX and then eventually red Burg

I do this right before I leave home or, when I was working, my office. Remember I am not trying to aerate young wines. I am trying to remove sediment from older wines because sediment does not taste good.

23 DCMR seems to suggest the restaurant has to open it, although one might suggest a recorked bottle is being “opened” as well.

717. CORKING FEE
717.1 The holder of an on-premises retailer’s license may permit a patron to bring to and consume on
the licensed premises an alcoholic beverage that the licensee is permitted to sell or serve under its on premises retailer’s license; provided that the alcoholic beverage is opened by an employee of the establishment, However, the holder of an on-premises retailer’s license shall not permit any alcoholic beverage opened on the licensed premises to be removed from the licensed premises.

This is the Answer, as official as it gets!

Dear Noah,

Nothing prohibits you, as a customer, from pre-decanting a beverage at home, returning it to the bottle, and resealing it for use at a licensed establishment that allows corkage or BYOB.

Please note that the bottle should be resealed before you go out because having an open container in a vehicle or in public may violate the District’s prohibition on open containers. Moreover, please be aware that an establishment cannot return a bottle to the customer once the establishment opens it.

The official corkage regulation is below for your reference:

1. CORKING FEE
    717.1 The holder of an on-premises retailer’s license may permit a patron to bring to and consume on the licensed premises an alcoholic beverage that the licensee is permitted to sell or serve under its on-premises retailer’s license; provided that the alcoholic beverage is opened by an employee of the establishment, However, the holder of an on-premises retailer’s license shall not permit any alcoholic beverage opened on the licensed premises to be removed from the licensed premises.
    717.2 The holder of an on-premises retailer’s license shall be permitted to charge a corking fee provided that the corking fee is disclosed to the patron prior to the opening of the alcoholic beverage.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Berman
Assistant General Counsel
Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration

*For additional assistance, questions, comments, or concerns, please call ABRA at 202-442-4423 or reply to this email.

Thanks Noah. Wonder why the restaurant staff has to do the opening? Do you think that the restaurateurs asked for that language so they could track the number of bottles for corkage fees?

I suspect it’s designed to avoid having people put something else (stronger) in a bottle, which of course is defeated by allowing a double decant.