Do you like new world grenache?

My extended experience is limited with CA 100% Grenache bottlings (the SQNs are blends though often 90%+/- Grenache and the Saxum are blends) and so perhaps that is where some of the complexities come from (I also like the Tablas Creek blends but do not happen to collect them). Though, I am very fond of CdPs like Chapoutier Barbe Rac and Rayas which are 100% (the Rayas 1978 and 1990 are among my favorite wines ever) - but both Barbe Rac and Rayas need many years to show. Though for fun, I would open 07s or perhaps younger, I don’t think anyone would suggest that you will see the best Rayas has to offer from any recent ones - no reason to view the best of CA differently. At least from my experience with SQN and Saxum, they are definitely better and have far more depth and complexity arise after at least 3-4yrs and even 6-7yrs in the cellar after release - no question that I would suggest waiting.

Scott, I just thought of another example when Larry mentioned Larner Vineyard. I bought some of the 05 Herman Story Larner shortly after release. Opened one about a year or 18 months later and found it just too much all around and a bit disjointed. Forgot about them for a while and just opened one about 12 months ago - it was very good and a much better, more developed and interesting wine after the time in the cellar. I was ready to give up on it originally but was glad that I hadn’t once it had the appropriate cellar time.

I have a bottle of Bucklin I’m looking forward to trying soon.
I’d say that the best grenaches I’ve had have not be 100% grenache, more like 70-80%. But it is not something I go out looking for as I’ve too many subpar experiences.
I was tempted by Tribute to Grace, but without a baseline of what to expect I wasn’t keen on the price esp as I think I had to buy 3.

Not had any CA grenache, but enjoyed the WA grenaches I’ve tried - Kerloo, aMaurice, Gramercy and Maison Bleue. Granted, these were tastes, not glasses, that led me to buy bottles that I don’t plan to drink any time soon (all 2008 - 2012 vintages).

I’m doubtful these will ever develop the complexity of old world grenache, but that does not surprise me nor do I really expect them to. If I want that, I’ll drink an old world grenache. I like them for what they are, but I don’t recall my prior tastes leading me to think candied, but palates differ.

Absolutely!

Dig a lot of the recs already mentioned as well as what Ed does with his Sandler grenache.

I think Outpost is Ok but I still find it a bit sweet. I’ll be babykilling a No Girls Grenache pretty soon so I’ll report

I remember Mick Unti saying that the grape wasn’t really realizing it’s potential in California for just that reason. Beyond overcropping, he said the Central Valley was not the best location for it.

We opened an '09 Bucklin Grenache last week - it was quite primary and really simple/lush/fruity (not candied) but started gaining some interesting complexity with a couple hours of air.

Larry, Thanks, that’s good to know. Mine is the '10. I’ll try the other bottles I received first.

I can’t believe I forgot this in my first post, but Big Basin sources from a grenache vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains, which Bradley thought was one of only two grenache vineyards in the SCM (the other not being one used in the significant wines).

From it, he makes a grenache-heavy blend called The Grizzly that has really wowed me on two occasions, and he talked about making a standalone grenache from that vineyard in the future.

Really a strong offering, with balance, modest use of oak, and complexity, and great acids and energy.

Chris,
Are you sure that isn’t the estate vineyard? We planted some grenache there in 06 that should be coming along now. Bradley also has some great Grenache terraces contracted at Coastview. Another very strong site for the grape.

I was just shooting from the hip there, Ian. Here is what the Big Basin website says about the 2010 Grenache.

The 2010 Grizzly is our third vintage of this Grenache dominate wine which features fruit predominately from vineyards comprised of decomposed granite soils with veins of limestone in the Galbian Mountain range - Coastview Vineyard and Antle Vineyard in Chalone - 74%. Fruit also comes from the rocky shale and sandstone, iron rich soils of our Estate Vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains - 26%. The final blend is 56% Grenache, 31% Syrah & 13% Mourvedre. The wine was aged for 27 months in a combination of large and regular format French oak barrels.

I remember Bradley telling me about future plans for a standalone Grenache from SCM, but I can’t remember what the exact vineyard was. I’ll definitely be looking out for it, though.

Just got back from Paso Robles. I really liked the Grenache based wines of Linne Calado, Villa Creek, and Paix Sur Terre. Really bright, cool fruit with excellent acidity and very minimal oak.

I’ve never thought of Linne Calodo or Villa Creek as “very minimal oak,” but I haven’t had them for a few years. I wonder if they’re dialing it down – if so, that would probably be a good thing. I think oak, more than ripeness/alcohol, is the bogey for some of the Paso reds.

Rasa and Denner are ones I have enjoyed.

I prefer old world Grenache. But Burgundian like S Rhone along the lines of Rayas, Charvin, Ferrand, Clos des Papes. I don’t like the big fruit S Rhone Grenache wines. Or Priorat Grenache blends from Spain.

I’ve had new world, like A Tribute To Grace (cooler climate new world from what I have read), and I just don’t like it as much. It’s too sweet and warm and that’s a bad thing when it comes to Grenache. I like A Tribute To Grace as a lighter style new world Grenache, but not at $50 a bottle.

We liked the Eric Kent Wine Cellars Grenache The Barrel Climber

I don’t care much for new world grenache.

Dave Smig made some '08 & '09 Dacalier de la Terre that was restrained old world @$25. He reduced inventory last years BD Special @ $10. A very good wine that I went strong and shared with friends who drank with great enjoyment over the last year. I even have some left. [cheers.gif]

Don’t care for it. The only non Rhone & Spain ones I tend to like remind me of Rhone & Spainish ones…