Do you like new world grenache?

In addition to others mentioned, Ojai makes a nice Grenache.

I’ve had a few, SQN, Cayuse, No Girls…and all of them were enjoyable…I thought they were even outstanding. However, they’re all wines I rarely could see myself wanting to drink?

I’m late to the thread but didn’t see Keplinger noted. Helen’s Basilisk is impressive to me (and the Grenache-dominated Lithic of course).

Jonathan

I enjoyed this one a few days ago. 91% Grenache and 9% Mouvedre.

• 2009 Wind Gap Wines Rana - USA, California (3/30/2014)
    Delicious. I hate to compare it to a French Rhone, but if this was served blind, that’s what I would have guessed. Nicely restrained for a CA blend of Grenache and Mourvèdre. Good acid, medium weight. Ann and I killed this bottle and were left wanting more. Improved with a little air. Should drink well for a couple more years. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

How about at $30 a bottle? The current offering is $90/3-pak.

Robert, what are the style differences between the Tribute to Grace Grenaches? The current offering is $30 per bottle, as you mentioned…but the fall offerings were around $70 per bottle. What is the difference between the two? I think the prior was called Shake Ridge.

I’m unimpressed by most domestic Grenaches. In the New World, South Australia has turned out some first class wines led by Clarendon Hills. However, they are pricey.

MrBigJ

Not a fan, but I keep trying!

In addition to some of those mentioned in this thread, I also really liked Tofanelli Family Vineyards Grenache - Vince recently started bottling and selling it. The current release, which is 2011, is his first I believe.

I also recall some nice bottles of Jaffurs Grenache, but I haven’t purchased it for quite a while.

IIRC
SB Highlands Grenache was around $40
Shake Ridge around $70
I think the new $30 bottle is a blend of vineyards.

Eric is like a walking, talking and breathing primary source book on wine. Never met anyone as knowledgeable.

The problem isn’t with the wines. It’s that we all don’t like the same things. Nor should we.
I quite like California Grenache, especially from the top wineries in Paso, most all listed above. Perhaps my favorite variety. The wineries in Paso can’t get enough quality Grenache grapes, far too little was planted, and it does great in Paso, especially on the west side. I’m going to do my part and plant some.

While I tend to stay away from most of the overblown Rhone styled wines from California - I am absolutely in love with California Grenache.

Especially in the Santa Barbara area - they ARE big and gushy and some can get downright medicinal in richness and intensity, but I love them.

Something about that bright berry fruit that seems to jump out of the glass of the best ones, without the heat that the big Syrahs and Zins bring to the table. And why even compare them to the French Rhones or Southern Spanish Garnachas, they really have nothing in common with them.

Funny, I was reading this thread and was surprised at no mention of Helen’s Grenache. I had an '07 N=1 100% Grenache a month or so ago and it was a dead-ringer for a Rayas. I would venture some of what folks prefer/identify with about Old World Grenache is the whole-cluster element that gives it the stemmy garrigue quality. I tend to prefer the producers that include stems in the wine. As others have identified here, Tercero makes some beautiful Grenaches that don’t have that “red Jolly Rancher” quality to them. I also have had some tasty ones from Alban, SQN, some of the Paso folks, but to me they tend to lean more toward Syrah than what I expect from Grenache.

Ooh, I forgot about that. It is good stuff, very old world. I think I have one bottle left, wish I had a case.

There are a number of producers in Paso Robles that are doing great things with Grenache. Tablas Creek, Denner, Villa Creek and Nicora of note (that’s not a comprehensive list). We can broaden that significantly if we consider Grenache dominated blends.

A number of these show beautifully when young with a lot of freshness, expressiveness and vibrancy. They may not suit everyone’s palate, but they’re generous wines that show warmth, spice and sunshine. I think the challenge is going to be for them to show gracefully with age. I’ve tasted a few that haven’t fared so well with time.

yes. Not showing their full potential is a lot different from not showing their greatness. Very few truly great wines don’t show evidence of that greatness when they’re young. I think great young CdP’s do. Most New World Grenache lacks balance as I define it, and I don’t think they’ll ever be balanced. I haven’t had any from SQN, so I can’t comment on that.

aren’t these in the style that the OP seems to eschew?

At this very moment I’m drinking a Grenache Blanc from Tablas. Does not exhibit any of the descriptors the original poster mentioned… granted it is a white. I recently had a Grenache from Outpost that enjoyed.

Grenache blanc might be my favorite white grape in California after chardonnay. But it’s an entirely different grape than grenache noir, and it doesn’t really belong in this conversation any more than pinot grigio belongs in a pinot noir thread.