Does anyone else prefer Champagne to not be overly yeasty?

Hello!

Are there any good liquor stores in RVC? Baldwin certainly doesn’t have any (at least not for Champagne).

I’ve been to quite a few Total Wine locations in several states, and I wouldn’t call any of them a good wine store. I mean that seriously, and not in any argumentative way, but just to point you toward some of the retailers recommended in this thread or any number of other options available in your broader area. You obviously have a passion for wine that requires much better selection and guidance than Total Wine offers. They make it look good, with a lot to choose from and all, but I literally had to drive to another store when on vacation in Florida because I couldn’t find a few decent bottles for the hotel room (based on my preferences, of course; they have a good domestic selection at seemingly every location).

I went on their website and they had good prices on a lot of the Champagnes I wanted to try, that’s why I had them in mind.

But I’ll keep what you said in mind and find somewhere better.

I’m absolutely open to trying another bottle of Charlie. I think it could be something I really enjoy if it were just a little different from the bottle I had.

I see. They do have good prices on some of the big names, and some of the big names in Champagne are making nice wines, so that makes sense to me. Getting out into the broader world of Champagne, especially grower producers, will require going elsewhere.

Lowell,

Yes, the base vintage is 2010 and it is then blended, bottled, and laid to rest in the cellars in 2011. Kind of confusing, but it is a ‘traditional, old school’ Champagne way of talking about things. Just stating the base vintage would be easier, but even as Champagne becomes more open with information, they still like to play some games. This particular release is the most pre-disgorgement aged normal release Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve that I have come across. Add in the heavier quality of the 2010 base vintage and you end up with the expression you experienced and are not a big fan of. As I mentioned earlier, try a much younger and lesser pre-disgorgement aged version of the wine before writing it off.

I don’t mind and actually enjoy some of whatever one wants to call this in my Champagne. But I have a good friend who hates it. As a result, he cannot stand Krug.

I second recommendations on trying grower champagnes. Another one to try is Moncuit Robert Extra Brut Les Grands Blancs NV.

The Total Wine near you is good and there is a Stew Leonard liquor store in Carle Place also has a decent selection. Wine Library in NJ will ship to you if you check out their website.

Howard…I am like your good friend. I do not like Champagne ( and never try to get into it in my wine life). I will drink it…if someone else pay for it… [snort.gif]

Raeders Wine in Albertson has a pretty good selection of Champagne. It’s not the closest to Baldwin, but still Nassau County.

I went to Astor Wines and picked out a bottle of Michel Loriot Blanc de Noirs (100% Pinot Meunier), it was delicious and a good value at 29 dollars. Unfortunately they were sold out of the Charles Ricciuti, I wanted to try that one out too. I also got a bottle of J Lassalle Preference, it was pretty good too.

I don’t remember the J Lassalle as vividly since I was pretty drunk when I had it, I should have saved that bottle.

They were both pretty fruity and creamy. I was surprised at the Blanc de Noirs being so smooth.

To celebrate my birthday yesterday (a day early), I had a bottle of Laurent Perrier Brut NV and Dom Perignon 2008 which I bought on a whim.

The latter was fantastic, I split a bottle with my friend and we couldn’t stop talking about how good it was. I didn’t find it to taste “yeasty” at all, more so earthy, rich, and just all around really good. I found it hard to describe the taste, just really damn good.