Does wine flipping pencil out?

Is comparing specific wines to a broad based stock index really an apples to apples comparison? Agree with Marcus above.

Sure, Rene Engel has outperformed the S&P over the past 15 years and if you had guessed that in advance and put all your money in a single-wine Rene Engel portfolio you could have made a very good return relatively (assuming you could sell it all at a reasonable transaction cost). But Amazon has outperformed the S&P by much much more than Rene Engel over the past 15 years and if you had guessed that in advance and put all your money in Amazon you would have done far better. So even if we are assuming people own time machines and can go back and invest their money knowing what the future will be, you wouldnā€™t use that time machine to invest in wines, youā€™d still use it for stocks.

also keep in mind that I believe your tax rate on the gains is viewed as a ā€œcollectibleā€ and not a ā€œcapital gainā€ and as such is subject to a higher rate than gains in stocks.

Something seems off there. In the vinous database the release price of 05 la tache is listed at 1200/bottle. Thereā€™s another thread where someone mentioned it was sold at one retailer for $700. Also the pound was worth much less than so your returns on using gbp to buy stocks would also have been much worse.

Exactly. Data mining is the perfect way to validate ex-post a winning strategy. Implementing that same strategy in an ex-ante manner is a touch harder.
But, then, we Chinatown noodle-slingers are dumb and poor for a reason.

Doesnā€™t have to be either/or. Buying wine is a lot more fun and if it doesnā€™t pan out, you can always drink it. You canā€™t do that with any loser stocks.

Exactly. Itā€™s like saying you could get rich betting on the NFL by looking back at results and hypothesizing that you had bet a lot of money on the winning teams. The question is whether you could consistently do that before you know the results of the games.

Suppose one said today, I am going to invest $100K to make significant returns investing and then reselling wines. What would you buy? How confident are you that it will generate significant positive gains in the coming years, especially net of your shipping, auction/broker, storage, insurance and other costs?

As Ethan said, somthing is not right here (initial price you mention is far too high, the La Tache clearly beats the S&P). Buying La Tache (or RC) is always a great investment as you can sell it the day after you bought it for at least double of what you paid (in good vintages triple of what you paid). S&P500 hardly ever doubles in a day. :slight_smile: Would have worked with the 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012ā€¦

So you arenā€™t talking about the asset appreciating, but just that certain insiders are in a position to buy it at 50% of the actual market price?

If so, then that is what it is, but I donā€™t think that really speaks to ā€œbuying wine as an investmentā€ generally. It would be like saying certain executives from Apple can buy their stock at 50% of its value and then turn around and sell it ā€“ that is great for them, but it doesnā€™t really imply whether regular investors buying Apple stock today are making a good investment going forward.

Also, those insiders with access to steeply discounted DRC, how many bottles can they buy at those prices? Youā€™d have to be able to buy more than a few for this to be a foundation of a meaningful investment strategy.

And do you have to buy other wines as part of a bundle, or be some big time customer of those sellers, to have that access? How do those other wines perform as investments? If you had to be a high roller buying six figures worth of wines per year from this seller for many years in order to get a case of DRC at 50% of market, you have to factor all that spending, and the value of those wines, into the profit you may get off the DRC bottles themselves. You canā€™t just view those in isolation.

Doesnā€™t flipping imply selling almost immediately after the purchase? (Iā€™m just confused why people are making comparisons of multi-decade investments in equities versus multi-decade wine investments when I think the OP was talking about the math for flipping.)

To enable non-comparable comparison.

I think the orig question is does investing in wine make sense vs. something like the S&P 500. The answer to that is pretty easily no. Wine is not that ā€œliquidā€ as an investment, has higher cost to carry (store insurance etc), and broad wine returns (not cherry picked) generally are less when all the costs are included. That certainly does not mean one can not make some $$ when selling wine. But it generally is not as good nor liquid investment as broad equities etc.

I think many people read of some great buys from 20/30 years ago and think they can do the same. Alternatively it is a common way some validate buying more wine than they would otherwise with the I can always sell later if I need to mentality. Nothing wrong with either approach as long one has realistic expectations which are always the tough part.

FWIW, as a retired investment profession I have no issue with people who view wine (or anything legal) as an investment. Nearly anything can be sold these days and Ebay has done wonders for market transparency and the re-cycling of many things that would have been tossed in the past. A world with better informed buyers and sellers is a great thing.

Great insights here, thank you. Assuming I wanted to divest of 60 bottles of cult, does it make any sense to try and time the market. Is there much buyer vs. seller market fluctuation?

I know people who buy expensive wines and then sell half of it later for a profit. Then they say to themselves, ā€œI am drinking for freeā€.
But they could have done better by investing that money in the market and celebrated their big gains.

The one thing I remind people when they ask me about this: the stock market is set up so you can buy and sell easily and without huge commissions to the broker. and/or the pain in the derriere factor.

On the other hand, a friend of mine lived off the money he made flipping Petrus 82 for several years. Very unusual circumstances tho.

I got the price data from the wineinvestment.com site and included the link you can click through. It says the price is as of April 2008, so seemingly very close to release, and the price shows a spike over the rest of 2008 like an early release wine. It is probably a market price as opposed to direct from winery so I probably shouldnā€™t have said ā€œfirst trancheā€. As someone said, if you are getting a below market price, like an insider deal on an IPO, then all bets are off. You are then not trading on wine market values but on connections.

Yeah, but Rudy has low housing, food, and travel expenses for a while.

As people learned via Rare LLC, Silver Spirits, Premier Cru, Rudy/John/Allen, Safe Harbour Wine Storage, WineCare LLC (Hurricane Sandy), Hurricane Katrina, and Mare Island, one unexpected loss, damage, fraud, legal, or casualty event can blow away a wine portfolio, with scant net recovery.

Concentration risk kills, irreparably.

agree. No way Iā€™d buy DRC now for investment. But depending on what time frame one chooses, he/she can make the argument work. I lucked out buying during a time of great value and itā€™s all appreciated beyond S&P.

And donā€™t forget you can lose EVERYTHING with a stock. The only way you would do that with a wine was if the bottle broke or was corked.

ā€¦and comparable asset. Is the S&P the right comparison? Why not Treasury bonds? Why not art? Why not the equity of Constellation Brands?

The S&P comparison is cherry picked just like 82 Lafite is cherry picked. Many trades underperformed the S&P over the last 10 years. If you bought the exact components of the WMJ indices, you would be down 2% in Bordeaux, up 25% in Cali Cult and up 190% in Burg. The S&P is up about 190%.

The question, always, is what do you think will happen? If you donā€™t have a view, what do you believe the best default choice is? If the broad US equity market, why?

Given the annualized price volatility of wine indices tracked by WMJ is around 15-20%, consistently making 5-10% flipping wine would be a good risk adjusted return. You probably canā€™t do that at volume like you can in deep asset classes, but you could probably do this in the small. Given you are buying retail and the various market frictions (seller commissions, taxes, shipping, storage, etc) you probably need at least 20-25% price clearing.

Of course, you should think about why flipping is even possible so you donā€™t get in a situation where you are long wine you donā€™t want and canā€™t offload it. Some obvious reasons why you can are: 1) ability to call the next winner, 2) access to highly sought after wine at below market price, 3) ability to get around a geographic or legal barrier cheaper than the alternative (there are probably others). Considering you are basically operating the same business model as a wine distributor, you have to wonder whether you really know something they donā€™t, have access they donā€™t have or are operating on a different timeline where profits exist they arenā€™t set up to capture.

I think flipping, like ticket scalping, can be helpful in small doses but it has the risk of distorting the wine market in ways that are not great for wine drinkers broadly. The positive is obviously greater access to wine for people who donā€™t have connections or donā€™t have 10 years to get on a list. Itā€™s bad when wine is stocked up by people solely looking to turn it for profit. Profit isnā€™t bad but, in that case, the profits arenā€™t flowing to the wine producer but the middle person (see the ā€œHas KL lost their mindsā€). If a wine maker is keeping prices low on purpose to make sure access is a function of allocation and not ability to pay, flipping hurts this relationship between the wine maker and their intended consumer. As weā€™ve seen with concert tickets, prices have both gone up in response to scalping and artists have employed methods to ensure their less affluent fans still get a chance to experience the show through giveaways, inability to resell, etc. You see some of these flip barriers erected by big names but I suspect, for the most part, the flip seems to be mostly tamped down by importer and retail price response.