Does wine flipping pencil out?

no way I’d buy for investment now or join one of those wine investment groups. The only wine area in which I have expertise is Burgundy and that’s in a bubble.

no way I’d buy for investment now or join one of those wine investment groups. The only wine area in which I have expertise is Burgundy and that’s in a bubble.
[/quote]

I think that’s the question: what do you believe Burg prices will be in 5 years? Like you, I would never join one of the investment groups. Though, I do believe Burg prices still have a ways to go, especially the bottom part of the curve (villages, 1er cru closing the gap on a relative basis to GCs, “second and third growth” producers catching up to the top tier). That is the reason why I buy more than I can drink: I am worried about the prices will be a lot higher in the future.

Is your head in the same place? Curious as to your thoughts.

A more appropriate comparison for single wines would be to single stocks. Apple is up well over 50,000% since 1995. Nvidia is up something over 30,000% since 1999. If you wanted to take a high risk investment, would you rather do it on a single name stock, or a single wine?

That’s why I looked at wine indices vs a stock index. Looking back, you can always find an example - looking forward is much harder to do.

I agree. Comparisons with the S&P should be with dividends reinvested, as those aren’t accounted for in the S&P’s “price.” That puts the S&P total return at about 285% for the last 10 years, likely well above any wine index.

I also presume those wine indices don’t include cost of carry or transaction costs, which will be proportionally significant.

Single-asset investing is rife with measurement bias, via survivorship bias. Nobody admits to their bad choices, provided that he or she survives them.

Yes, 285% is with dividends reinvested. Also not excess return on either (no round trip cost to buy/sell) - though wine generally carries higher cost. I guess if we wanted to really make it apples to apples, you would have to take physical delivery of shares…

Anyway, point is few broad asset baskets have made that kind of return over the last 10 years. 2000 to 2010 much easier to beat the S&Ps -5% return.

I’ve been so wrong that I wouldn’t even listen to myself! Never would have thought Rousseau Chambertin would be $3000 a bottle, dozens of other examples. No idea where we go from here with Burgundy.

I hear you. Let’s drink and find out [popcorn.gif]

Yeah, forget theoretical arguments about putting your entire retirement savings in wine, this is really what we all need to know – where Burgundy prices will go.

Burgundy feels like a bubble, the constant price increases and escalation of village wine prices above world-class wines from other regions definitely give that impression. But the two things that give me pause about that are:

–Burgundy quality and winemaking is noticeably improving just in the last 5-10 years over what was already a very high baseline
–Burgundy has tighter supply restrictions than any other wine region, by far

the only thing that works to open up new supply in Burgundy is improved winemaking and weather in non Cote d’Or satellite regions like Marsannay, Givry, Santenay, St. Aubin, etc. This has clearly been happening but there are limits to those areas production capacity

I wouldn’t call it “getting it below market price”. You’re getting it at market price (release price + distribution margin of the retailer), but then the next day, the market price has already climbed significantly. It wouldn’t be fair to compare performances of a wine and other investments by taking a price that is higher than the official release price. It’s buying at the IPO price, not buying pre-IPO.

There are some wines with so much demand that they instantly increase in value: many Burgundies (we all know the names), some Bordeauxs (Lafleur),

Not some insiders, the whole allocation all the retailers get from the winery are sold at that initial price. Everything that happens afterwards is secondary market at higher prices. No retailer who gets direct allocation from the winery or the direct importer of the wine is allowed to sell it at the much higher market price. They would quickly lose the allocation as the winery doesn’t want speculation.

That is a fair point and should be taken into consideration if you compare the performance of your wine investment vs other investments. I don’t invest in wine myself, so I never made the calculation. My point was more on the La Tache example which is wrong (wrong starting price).

I can only speak of my personal experience: to get to the point where you get allocated rare wines like this you have to be among the top few percent (in case of my retailer top 0.5%, the CEO told me) of all clients in terms of amount spent per year. So you will never be able to just buy a bottle of DRC and flip it. If I would want to flip one day I guess it would be still show good performance as the wines I buy with this retailer are mostly in this DRC category with instantly higher secondary market prices (I buy DRC, Roumier, Fourrier, Rousseau, Leflaive, Comte de Vogue, Trapet, Clos de Tart, Chave, Harlan, Shafer, as well as a bunch of Bordeauxs where performance is more depending on the vintage).

I’m with you here. Some 2015s/2016s did come down from their peak levels already (by 10-20%).

Maybe the climate change with less bad vintages (before it will get too hot in a few years and you will have bad vintages because they’re all too big and ripe) and improved quality across the board can counter the upwards trend in prices a little bit. At first I thought the Covid might put an end on the upward pressure which is there due to an ever increasing middle class and more wealth concentration across the planet but with all central banks flooding the market with cash which kept and will keep asset prices high and higher and due to the nature of the pandemic (affecting mostly lower paid jobs vs the financial crisis where it affected asset owners too), I doubt that upward spiral will not stop.

La Tache 2005 750ML was released during Spring 2008 at a Wholesale price of $740/bottle(prior to a case break fee per bottle by a Distributor), or $4400/6-pack. So, a $1200/bottle retail price referenced by Vinous seems reasonable as this would be 38.3% retail margin. However, I recall bottles being flipped immediately at release for as much as $5000/bottle.

Sounds as if many folks here should start a wine investment fund.

Hi everyone, i’m new here but my friend Matt Latuchie looped me in to the forum. A lot of great points on here. I have a background working in the Asset management industry and generally I don’t think wine is a better investment than equities. However, at the current time I am looking at both wine and whiskey as investments given the inflated equity market. A lot of points here talk about the potential upside, but not as many talk about what I see as the main benefit in the current environment which is the less likely downside. Many major macro equity folk are predicting flat or negative performance for equity over the next 5-7 years. Here’s published predictinos from GMO https://www.gmo.com/americas/research-library/gmo-7-year-asset-class-forecast-august-2020/ which has a -6.5% projected return for large cap equity the next 7 years. I personally think thats a bit overly negative, but I think wine/whisky will outperform.

Wine I think is generally more stable and has the benefit of younger generation both getting wealthier and buying more wine than previous generation so creating a macro net inflow. Still doing more research there but that’s my general sense.

Best wishes to you with your project.

Speaking in very broad terms, do you imagine mostly buying blue chip wines with a track record of appreciating (Grand Cru Burgundy, First Growth Bordeaux, Napa cults, Grange, etc.) and hope they keep trending upward, or speculating on finding future high flyers (wines that will be the next Juge, Bartolo Mascarello, etc.), or a mix?

Does one ever make a decent return on investment with “second tier” wines? Does not mean that they are not excellent wines for drinking, but for investment?

Inflated prices on equities - what about wine. The price of virtually any imported wine could easily go down 25% (or a large portion thereof) if the tariffs go away next year. What makes you think wine prices are not inflated right now?

I wonder if there is a needed balance between structured investment purchased wine and wine purchased for individual cellars (effectively to drink, but we know that many wines require long term storage and many of us buy more than we might reasonably ever drink). In other words, if nobody in the market is drinking the stuff, will people lose interest? What fraction of a healthy wine market could be in pure investment vehicles?

I used to buy/trade/sell/flip quite extensively about 20 years ago, but I found it was taking the fun away from my hobby and it became too much like work. The money was nice but I also have a full time job. Same reason why I don’t guide ice fishing, it mingles my job with my fun. My purchases have slowed down as my cellar matures and I only buy now what I intend to drink or gift.