Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé - Controversial Producer?

they need age and I like them very much. The Chambolle 1er, Bonnes Mares and the Musigny

I think they’re making top notch wines - the 2010s were some of the best wines that I’ve tasted at a winery before with the 2012s not that far behind. GCs from the 60s and 70s can be great if they’ve been stored well over these many years ('47, '71, and '78 are A+) with the 80s having some deficiencies in quality IMHO. The '93 and '99 are wines that will reward in the future - especially the '93… In short, no controversy just needs time. Also, I can’t wait to taste the new Vogue Musigny blanc at some point - I can’t imagine that a label change would make this blanc much better than average+. P.S. – I’m holding a big bottle of Vogue BM in my avatar pic :slight_smile:

FWIW: Given house style, I enjoy the wines in less solar years. Tones down the burliness and extraction.

Here’s my note from recent 01 Bonnes Mares:

About the most transparent Vogue or Bonnes Mares wine I have ever had. Fabulous nose of crushed raspberry and soil. Super elegant but structured in a sneaky way. Very red fruited – with a pleasing hint of decay – and long. It held up remarkably all night despite its delicate nature. The wine feels like it wants to be opened up in the next 2-3 years but can hold for a decade.

I had the Vogüé Musigny 1993 in december 2002 (served with a brilliant Leroy Corton Renardes 1993). The wine was very good and turned out to need time to reach its best. Hence, tough (the style of the domain + the vintage), however pleasant.

I wish I could taste it today (idem for the 1996, as I expected more from the Bonnes-Mares 1996 and the Amoureuses 1996).
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Vieilles Vignes 1993 : december 2002
PC16,5 - DS18 - PP17,5 - LG17/18 - RT17 - EF16,5 - GL17,5 - VM16,5. Note moyenne : 17.
La robe est moins évoluée que la précédente.
Ici aussi, le nez est marqué par un fruit éclatant (dominante de cerise) ainsi que par des notes particulièrement mûres, florales, légèrement lactées.
Le vin semble en revanche moins prêt à boire. Plus réservé, il affiche réserve et (relative) austérité. Il n’en reste pas moins long, fin et élégant. Impression tactile de velours, de taffetas.

The 01 musigny you opened last year @ republique was quite nice. I’ve enjoyed both the 01/02 in the recent years from them.

But like Jon said, the 70s are stunning wines from them

The 01s are really nice. I had both the Amoureuses and Bonnes Mares relatively recently and both were awesome—the Amoureuses particularly.

An email just landed from Dan Posner with some very positive reviews. Gilman certainly doesn’t give points away.

1. 2011 Comte de Vogue Musigny Vieilles Vignes
    6 btls available
    Grapes Sale Price: $599/btl
    A View from the Cellar 95+, Vinous 95+
    “The 2011 Comte de Vogüé Musigny V.V. shows off a superb sense of both depth and harmony and this will be a quintessential example of Musigny with sufficient bottle age. The excellent nose jumps from the glass in a pure mélange of red and black cherries, plums, lovely spice tones, a complex base of soil, violets, cocoa and a touch of new oak. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied and very transparent, with superb mid-palate depth, ripe, utterly suave tannins and outstanding length and grip on the focused and very classy finish. This will be a great wine.”-John Gilman

2. 2012 Comte de Vogue Musigny Vieilles Vignes
    6 btls available
    Grapes Sale Price: $799/btl
    WA 98, A View from the Cellar 97, BH 97
    “The 2012 Musigny Vieilles Vignes from the Comte de Vogüé is also a brilliant wine in the making. The deep, pure and nascently complex nose wafts from the glass in a stunning blend of red and black cherries, raspberries, red plums, cocoa, a stunning base of soil tones, hints of the smokiness to come, pungent (morning) violets and a discreet base of vanillin oak. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, pure and perfectly focused, with a sappy core of fruit, glorious transparency, fine-grained tannins and impeccable balance on the very, very long, pure and perfectly focused finish. A great wine.”-John Gilman

3. 2014 Comte de Vogue Chambolle Musigny
    6 btls available
    Grapes Sale Price: $189/btl
    A View from the Cellar 89-90+
    “The 2014 Chambolle AC from Domaine de Comte de Vogüé is a very pretty and promising village wine, wafting from the glass in a vibrant blend of black cherries, red plums, smoke, a lovely base of soil and a gentle topnote of mustard seed. On the palate the wine is pure, full-bodied and very suave on the attack, with a lovely core, moderate tannins and a long, tangy finish. This should prove to be an excellent middleweight and quintessentially Chambolle with six to eight years of bottle age.”-John Gilman

4. 2014 Comte de Vogue Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru
    3 btls available
    Grapes Sale Price: $339/btl
    BH 93, Vinous 92
    “The intensely floral-suffused nose reveals notes of lavender, rose petal and lilac along with plenty of spice elements on the mostly dark berry fruit aromas. There is notably more volume to the equally pure medium weight plus flavors that positively vibrate with energy and minerality before culminating in a harmonious and beautifully well-balanced finale. This marvelously complex effort really builds from the mid-palate as the finish is sneaky long.”-Allen Meadows

5. 2016 Comte de Vogue Bonnes Mares
    2 magnums available
    Grapes Sale Price: $1299/magnum
    WA 94-96
    “The 2016 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru was 70% affected by the frost, though François explained that the north side was spared the damage. It offers slightly darker fruit on the nose compared to the Les Amoureuses: blackcurrant, tobacco, sage and in the background a touch of flint and violet petal. The palate is medium-bodied with fine-grain tannin, though not quite as supple as the Les Amoureuses. I admire the symmetry here: a detailed and linear Bonnes Mares with impressive mineralité on the finish that lingers 45 to 60 seconds after the wine has departed.”-Neal Martin

Last Musigny I drank was curiously the '97, which was really very, very, good, contrary to my expectations. In general, I think after its famous old vintages Vogüé began to underperform, which is a shame given how much of the vineyard they own. Roumier and Mugnier are absurdly overpriced for what they are in my opinion.

The 66 was one of the best wines I’ve ever had. I consider this the best “value” GC around. In that the potential for a profound wine can be had for under $1K.

I still have a bottle of the 1990 Musigny.

One of my greatest experiences was a pristine bottle of 1971 Musigny from Vogue. The 1993 is DELICIOUS! Always loved the 2001. The wines from Francois Millet take some time to round out. I think this is an excellent address.

didn’t Christophe Roumier’s dad make the 71?

I don’t know this. His grandfather was the regisseur for a very long time there. I think Francois has been the winemaker since the mid 80s.

FWIW, I have yet to have a mature bottle of the Musigny, having had '90, '91, '93 and ‘96 all with 20+ years’ age. Quite recently, an Amoreuses from '96 stole the show ahead of the '96 Musigny and the '96 Mugnier Musigny. The Bonnes Mares also requires less time to be really pleasurable. Are they controversial? Depends on how you define it - there’s people who don’t like the wines and that’s just fine, as there are people who don’t like Coche or Raveneau. I have yet to see any major critic come down on the side of “these wines just aren’t very good”.

I reckon the wines of the past decade or so have a much lighter hand than the older wines. They taste sublime from barrel and are impressive on release, with obvious ability to age. When we used to look at some of the big guns from the latest vintage (served blind), including the likes of Rousseau and DRC, the Vogue Bonnes Mares and Musigny have always performed very well.

The older vintages were indeed built for the cellar and demanded long aging. Had an '85 Bonnes Mares with Paul Hanna a few years ago that was sublime. The '87 Musigny drinks really well today and a '61 Bonnes Mares is one of the very best aged red Burgs I have had.

Drank a 97 Amoureuses a couple years ago for our anniversary…we were BLOWN away by it…rated it 100pts in fact. Vogue on release or under 15yrs of age…VERY primary…yet with potential. The lesser vintages show better imo. Still a producer I want in my cellar and stomach…and consider classic Burgundy in my book! [cheers.gif]
F43AB256-C6E9-4E52-BBBA-828756ACE62E.jpeg

Have any thoughts on when the '07’s might be ready. I have the regular Chambolle and the Musigny in that year; the only ones I own, perhaps for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance!

Yet more systemic, pervasive, pandemic Infanticide courtesy of Wine Berserkers.

This board needs a new name.

Something along the lines of the Wine Carthaginians or Wine Canaanites or similar.

I dunno, on second thought, maybe it’s apropos.

Not sure what pandemic of vinfanticide you mean in this thread, Nathan, but whatever you do don’t go looking at the 2019 WOTY thread :wink:!

Nathan just needed to inject his usual Debbie Downer attitude.