DRC 2018

that is an adorable photo/idea

3 Likes

Buy a lot of stuff you don’t really want from the same merchant. For several years. Then ask.

with the tariffs being suspended, would love if anyone has an inside scoop if WD held the shipment in France in case something like this happened and we’ll see non-tariffed prices?

I don’t want to be pessimistic but i think they saw they could sell it at those “tariff” prices so might just continue at it.

yeah, trust me, I don’t expect to see any prices go down, but maybe best case they would stay the same this year instead of increase 10-15%.

1 Like

Actually I would amend that to “Then beg, cry, whine, and promise them anything”

In the U.K. you shouldn’t really expect to get an allocation if you aren’t spending (minimum) $35k with that merchant (ex DRC).

1 Like

Typically mid to late May. Might be a bit later this year as shipments were delayed waiting for tariffs to adjust down.

1 Like

But it’s also one of the rarer recent vintages where I would take the Richebourg in preference to the RSV…

looks like US prices are right in line with last year, not surprisingly. with UK prices up about 10%, and tariffs down 25%, it seems they kept the 15% difference for themselves.

Still remember some 20 years ago seeing mixed cases of DRC sitting on the floor at LA Wine Company marked at a couple of hundred a bottle and nobody was buying them (sat there for weeks at least). Times have changed, no?

1 Like

WD taking their sweet time to get the allocations out to the distributors and retailers. no doubt a real cluster deciding who gets screwed with the reduced yields. hearing it should be soon, now, but they’ve been saying that all month.

Anybody heard anything from retailers? This is getting crazy late.

Coming soon to the atl market. In the next couple of weeks I’m told.

Any word on the 2019’s. What are MSRP pricing for the US market on the 19’s.

Joel

1 Like

'19s are long gone. Mostly landed in Aug/Sept this year. Everything was up 15-20% from the Domaine, but a lot of places were +40-50% depending on retailer markup. I found this year even the traditionally solid markup places were squeezing deeper than usual.

For example one retailer on LT

'17 - $2750
'18 - $3150
'19 - $4500

3 Likes

Whoa, big jump from 2017 to 2019, I guess the harvest was down in 2019 + market forces?

Was offered a few 2019’s and did not know if pricing was fair so I guess it wasn’t too bad.

1 Like

Rousseau and DRC were up 100% on the secondary market for 19s.

4500 for 19 LT is a steal. I would buy cases at that price. The only ones I got that cheap were very early on.

2 Likes

Really, did not think $4500 was a good price for LT 2019 but I am no DRC expert, just that the way people talk in the forums makes it seem that the “real” price for DRC is a bit lower for people who have “access”. Not direct access to the Domaine, but direct access to allocations or Wilson Daniels.

If I look up the DRC 2017 thread, there is mention of “that is market price” , so I assume there is a price that is special for long time buyers? Anyway, happy with the lone bottle that I got as it looks like I got an OK price.

Yes for like one bottle you may be able to get a better price if you’re a long term buyer. You typically can’t buy in quantity at that price unless you’ve been buying from the domaine for a long time.

I can usually get a good amount from different sources I have but 19s have been tough for the most part.

3 Likes