Essential Books on Burgundy?

Thank you, Henry.

Did the Yankee Bainbridges marry into the English Huxleys around the same time that the Vanderbiltā€™s married into the Spencer-Churchills?

Friends,

To read meaningful publications on BURGUNDY : i would not sibscribe to either WINE SPECTATOR or WINE ADVOCATE. I stopped subscribing because far too little emphasis on my favourite region. The latter changed from contributor as quickly as they changed from underwear. Only recently Willliam Kelley joined WA and hopefully he will stay there for at least a few years since he seemed to be very capable. So sorry WA lost NEAL MARTIN who went to VINOUS. I would suggest BURGHOUND, JASPER MORRIS , Sara MARSH, WINEHOG, VINOUS provided it does not become a second WA and gives the region the attention it deserves by at least by-monthly publications on BURGUNDY. . Any others somebody know of and any magazine worthwhile reading or subscribing to ?
SINCERELY JOHAN

I completely agree. For many regions of France, but particularly for Burgundy, this book taught me how to think about Burgundy and appreciate Burgundy, which probably are more important than knowing specific producers (changes over time) and vineyards.

Also, I would delete Parkerā€™s book as an ā€œessentialā€ book on Burgundy. I would add:

Allen Meadows, Burgundy Vintages ā€“ A History from 1845
Andrew Jefford, The New France: A Complete Guide to Contemporary French Wine - although this is not just about Burgundy, the portions on Burgundy are first rate.

Also, there is a second (larger) edition of Burgundy by Anthony Hanson from around 1995 or so.

Curtisā€™ book is excellent, but a bit hard to read.

1 Like

for all the attention it draws these days,it is interesting that almost all the relevant books are 10+ years old. Cote Dā€™Or by Raymond Blake is copyright 2017. Pleasant enough if not nearly comprehensive. Pearl of the Cote by Allen Meadows is also pretty good, although obviously of most interest to those with incomes of $500,000.00 yearly. I think of Meadows as pretty modern, but yikes it is copyright 2010! I think everyone is really waiting for the Jasper Morris redo of Inside Burgundy where he can be a little bit more candid about the producers than he was in the first tome. (diplomatically of course!) This is supposed to be due in 2021 sometime.
It is just a pain in the ass to write these things I suppose, and within a couple of years they start to get outdated because of changes in ownership, sales of vineyards, etc. I subscribed to World of Fine Wine this year, although some of the writing is extremely good, it does skew heavily toward the Lamborghini/Ferrari crowd. The Burgundy articles are really pretty top shelf. Lalou BL is on the current edition coverā€¦

Rosenthalā€™s book has a bit more on burg.

Itā€™s in French so will require some ā€˜applicationā€™ - certainly for me - but FrĆ©dĆ©ric Villainā€™s new Grands Vins de Bourgogne - by the same publishers as all Jacky Rigauxā€™s books (Terre En Vues) - is interesting, looking at the region with a 19th-century perspective, including the mapsā€¦

Glad to see my friend Charles Curtisā€™ book here. I have most of these books. As an aside, as dated as the book is at this point, I still love Matt Kramerā€™s ā€œMaking Sense of Burgundyā€. That book is fun to read. Great list Nowell. I like the additions too especially Howards.

The best resource book on geography and history is ā€œThe Climats and Lieux-dits of the Great Vineyards of Burgundyā€ by Marie-Helene Landrieu-Lussigny and Sylvain Pitiot. It is a must have for folks who really want to understand the geography of Burgundy. Comprehensive.

Kramerā€™s book makes the rest understandableā€¦

Butā€¦Jasperā€™s is the one to get if you only get one.

FWIW, the importersā€™ books: Lynch and Rosenthalā€¦belong on Donald Trumpā€™s bookshelfā€¦with whatever else he stores on itā€¦egotistical viewpoints of how great they are at their ā€œjobsā€. No thanks. Their high prices - and arrogance-- already let me know thatā€¦

Are you saying theyā€™re not good at their jobs?

I personally really enjoy all books of this genre; perhaps my favorite is thad voglers about different spirits but I find them all great.

Iā€™m looking forward to that.

Bourgogne Aujourdā€™hui is an excellent magazine.

John Gilmanā€™s A View from the Cellar. John has posted here occasionally in the past and does a great job with Burgundy and other regions.

I think Bill Nansonā€™s Burgundy Report is certainly worthwhile, for it overall coverage of Burgundy, wine reviews and photographs.

Bill Nanson, like William Kelley, is kind enough to post here and I appreciate both their contributions.

Completely agree with Don on his second rec. More of an intermediate or advanced read but this is the book I go back to now time and time again. Great book!

Burgundy Grand Crus by Jacky Rigaux (translated). Very precise descriptions including Sylvain Pitiot maps. Good historical background and quotes related to each cru. Rigaux has published a number of other Burgundy books that have been translated from French. There are very few who know and understand Burgundy more than Jacky Rigaux.

You might enjoy Pinot Noir by Andrew Barr. He has an ability to get people to say remarkable things they later regret.He wrote two books on wine and moved on.

Not at allā€¦I have no clue about that.

Iā€™m saying that their books are mainly self-thanks for being so great at what they think theyā€™re great at. They didnā€™t take on Covidā€¦of course.

Thatā€™s generally what autobiographies are, right? Most people donā€™t write about how theyā€™re a useless pos.