Europe Travel - Safe?

I don’t know, but probably not the DRE for the prostate exam, but rather a prostate biopsy, that increases the risk.

I don’t know, but probably not the DRE for the prostate exam, but rather a prostate biopsy, that increases the risk.

I’m certain that is the case too.

I’m flying into Paris on the 31st. I always figure after an event like this is the safest time to travel. Security is up, and bad guys will want to lay low for a while.

Hard to make it thru a day without at least one rationalization.

Hell, I had to do that just to get out of bed this morning.

I’m at the winery in Spain right now and returning to the US through Madrid the day after tomorrow alone with my 12 year old daughter. I am nervous, no question about it. We fly on Iberia / American and that adds to my uneasiness.

Lol, me too.

Nola, as others have said, it’s good to be aware and cautious. But remember that these events are extremely rare, and millions of people are traveling every day without incident. Honestly, I don’t give it a thought when I travel, it’s not something I allow to affect my daily life and emotional state.

I’m with you Alan, but I think because this just happened and reading about the deficiencies that were present recently in Brussels makes me doubt the efficiency of the security in Madrid as well. Just reading (and looking at the photos) that the two terrorists who were wearing a single glove and that it is apparently known in counter terrorism (that where they hide the detonation device) that that should have been a huge warning sign. But the security is quite inefficient and under staffed.
I’m going home and I’m not letting them dissuade me from traveling but I’m still nervous.

Once you say to yourself, “well, i am not really in that much danger” its probably best to change your plans.

Safety 101 in just about anything includes “am I safe?” Which each one of us may answer differently based on our experiances in life.

The flip side though is that i have never asked myself that question when i travel to Napa.

Depends on where you are and what you’re doing, of course. Believing you’re not in much danger walking through downtown Mogadishu is one thing, traveling through a major western airport another.

Nola, if you want to be as safe as possible, you can do some things that I believe are in your favor: get to the airport and check in early, and get through security while there are few people waiting in long AA check in lines. Avoid long security queues if you can. Once past security into the gates, things should be quite safe. I tend to avoid places where there are likely to be large groupings of Americans (like American-branded stores or restaurants, but that kind of goes without saying anyway :wink: ). If you see army/security with heavy weapons, stay close to them [wow.gif]

We check in in Almeria and will pass security there. Barajas has essentially 2 airports, the Iberia terminal and the main international terminal. Iberia international flights leave from the Iberia terminal so IIRC I won’t have to pass through security again, that’s a plus.

A hotel I stayed at in Jakarta was bombed 2 weeks after I stayed there. Many of my peers refused to travel because the risk is real, but other places are far more dangerous. In Central & South America being a victim of the violent drug trade & kidnapping is more likely than a terrorist act, but that rarely seems to stop anyone from traveling there.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Absolutely travel to Europe, while of course keeping an eye out for signs of something amiss. As they say in the NYC Subway system, “If you see something, say something.”

I was in Paris for a month from late January to late February, and they checked bags at the main department stores but not the subway or TGV stations (though as always lots of heavily armed police patrolling).

If you change your life on the off-chance of something happening, you are handing a victory to those who want to affect our lives.

My thoughts:

Is it safe?

Compared to what.

Compared to staying in bed, no.

Compared to driving in Orange County on the Freeway, much, much safer.

can we all agree that dying from a prostate exam is the worst way to die?

that’s because you’re not that cute.

champagne.gif champagne.gif

Just spent last 4 days in Paris and all fears were squashed after arriving. There is military/police presence but not much more than usual.
We used Uber a lot and everyone of our drivers were of Muslim/Islamic descent and were a joy to talk with and very accommodating.
Life seems to be back to normal in Paris with the youth rioting in the streets and restaurants packed.
The world is a BIG place and what fear the terrorists have dispelled seem to be pretty minor in the whole scheme of things.

Confirmed - I love to travel!

Agree. I was in Sicily & Paris end Feb, then in Paris a few days before Brussels event, and will be in AMS, next week. More security apparent, and restaurants packed. Uber makes things a lot easier these days. Life is short, so drink/hunt for more/better wine :slight_smile:
Just like anywhere in a big city, whether at home or abroad, be aware of your surroundings and if something looks out of place, just walk away.