Europe Travel - Safe?

Those places are considered as generally safe ones. But I would also be prepared, since in Italy, in general, are a lot of muggers and pickpocketers. So always, keep an eye on your belongings. Paris is, also, not a very safe place in these terms. So keep an eye on your belongings, and don’t take all your documents and money with you. Before visiting a new place I usually check here Is Kuwait Safe for Travel in 2023? • African Jacana. It was really helpful with my last trip to Kuwait. I knew the things I should be prepared for.

When traveling overseas, I always split my credit cards between at least my wallet and luggage.
Moreover, I load my passport onto US-approved phone apps, and save a detailed, color photocopy on multiple e-mail accounts.

This matters little now, as we 'Mericans can no longer travel out of our national sh1th01e.

My perception of risk is rather different, with Covid and BLM issues going on in the states I would suggest many Europeans would be asking if the US is safe to visit. Personally I enjoy travel and apart from known trouble spots would go anywhere

Post is over 4 years old.

George

How is this old gem not in a Hall of Fame?

That entirely depends on where you go in Italy, France and indeed any country.

If you only ever go to the big tourist destinations, along with the hordes of other transient tourists, then yes that is what creates a setting for pickpockets and bag-snatchers. Outside of these easy pickings, pickpocketing is simply not a viable career option.

Thus if going to any major tourist destination, take proper precautions and also extend that caution to public transport to/from that location. That would be true in Paris, New York, Amsterdam, Venice, London etc.

However, if you explore these countries away from the tourist hordes, then you’ll find there is no such ‘general’ problem, general being a foreigner’s perception based on the vast majority of tourists getting no further than Rome/Venice/Florence. If you go to St Omer, Utrecht, Aosta or Durham and you’ll need no more precautions than you would at home, and for some of our home locations, quite a lot less.

Whilst your photo album may not contain an array of the most famous landmarks, the interaction with local people will be much more rewarding and especially in Italy, you can experience a level of hospitality that is exceptional. It’s possible to do this without learning the local language, but making even a little effort goes a long way to being able to build a rapport with the people you interact with.

It’s a choice that needs to be individual. For some the famous sites are vital to the experience, as is the ability to get by without a worry speaking, hearing and reading English. If that’s the case, then the negatives that come from the mass tourist trail (poor quality food, dirtiness, crowds, petty crime) are to be tolerated for the positives.

Regards
Ian

The south of Spain is having a really tough time right now. Travel restrictions, mask and distance mandate and curfew at night!
Our village Ugijar has about 2000 residents and are logging in 30-40 new cases. Only a clinic, no hospital less than an hour away.

People under-estimate the conditional riskiness of the last point.

be as safe as you can Nola (and indeed that goes for all forumites)

Thanks, I’m in Dayton. I do a lot of management via zoom and WhatsApp. Not that where I live in Ohio is less dangerous (it isn’t)!

I have had three friends in France test positive in the last three weeks.
One in Lyon, one in Paris, and one in a small town in Savoie.

The surge is real.

Situation is not so bad than discribe on tv.
You must know that France we are testing a lot (first because one of test is french) and for us problems are more a question of organization or lack of beds in public hospitals.
Also for having more subvention and money, hostipal wright covid than pneumonia or fever.

I don’t know about Paris but in Granada it is bad. Below is the daily update from our little village Ugijar.

COVID-19 INFORMATION IN UGÍJAR Municipality (15.11.2020)
According to new data provided by the Ugíjar Health Center, the population is informed that no positive case has been confirmed today, so at this time there are still 4 active cases of coronavirus in our municipality. The infected people continue in isolation and house lockdown, to which we continue to send our best wishes and our greatest encouragement to cope as best as possible with this situation, thinking that Health comes first; the effort they are making is key and very important for all.
It is very important not to let our guard down, as we continue to have positive cases in the municipality and, if we trust, the data could be ignited again.
We remind you that all the Province of Granada is located in #Level 4, #Grade2, of #Alert so you can NOT leave or enter the municipality of Ugíjar without justified cause regulated by law, also all municipal facilities, including children’s parks continue to be closed, except the Consistorial House, and all cultural, tourist and sports activities of municipal promotion continue to be suspended, in order to minimize the risks of contagion by Covid-19.
All official information about this will be brought to the attention of all the neighbors of Ugíjar by this means.
Together we will overcome this virus!
GO AND STRENGTH!!!
#JuntosPodemosLograrlo
#TodoSaldráBien
#EsteVirusLoParamosUnidos
#UgíjarTeInforma
#Ugíjar :heart: #Cherín > :green_heart: > #Jorairátar > :heartpulse:
#LasCanteras > :blue_heart: > #LosMontoros > :yellow_heart:
#LaAlpujarraLlenaDeVida > :heart:> :green_heart:> :heartpulse:> :blue_heart:> :yellow_heart:

Given Europe’s vaccination problems, will there be a time this year when restaurants, museums, etc. will be fully open? Thinking of Italy in October…

Which year?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-04/when-will-covid-pandemic-end-near-me-vaccine-coverage-calculator

I was hoping this year. I’m not getting any younger…

OMG! You’re not going to leave your apartment for 7 more years! [rofl.gif]

Same here. I was hoping to travel there in late June but I think that is overly optimistic.

What I am hearing on the ground in Spain is, no. During the first phase they were able to keep the cases quelled. It is not controlled by any reasonable thought right now or for the near future. Their vaccine rollout is worse than ours…

That was my point. But folks are welcome to scout out the situation there, and try to report back.