Ever boycott a winery?

Trump Winery.

Iā€™ve never understood corporate activism. Just seems like bad business to alienate half your customers for something unrelated to the business. I know some get bullied into ā€œpicking a sideā€; but I do respect the ones that stand their ground.

As for boycotting wineries, I only boycott the ones that act like pretentious jerks when I visited or that have crappy wine.

Cancel culture is not ā€œexperiencing consequences for your behaviourā€, FYI.

Specific to wine, I boycott Norman Hardie wines here in Ontario because he sexually harassed his staff and then put out a total piss-ant ā€œapologyā€ where he took zero actual responsibility for his actions. However, my partnerā€™s family lives in that wine region and whenever we drive by, the winery attached to the restaurantā€™s parking lot is jammed full. Maybe others donā€™t care, but like other folks here have said, there sure as hell is a lot of wine to buy that doesnā€™t come from people who behave in ways I think are abhorrent.

I donā€™t respect companies or individuals who stand their ground when that ground is planted with the seeds of bigotry, personally.

1 Like

I meant standing their ground on neutrality, not whatever they are doing wrong.

After I watched a video where Kapcsandy said retarded, I blew them off.

And we thank you for your sacrifice! [snort.gif]

Neal,

OP posted about Woody Allen allegedly molesting his daughter, and you missed it - get with it, Man!

Rich S did step up to the plate in your absence

Care to expand on what the email contained?

I boycott Lafleur, Ponsot, Domaine Romanee Conti, and other French wineries which have not vouched for the impeccable, utterly impeccable integrity of Rudy Kurniawan, John Kapon, Allen Meadows, or Gil Lempert-Schwarz.

So glad no one is examining each and every one of my actions. Iā€™d be afraid my wife would boycott me. Might be a good idea to consider some sage adviceā€¦ ā€œLet he who is without sin cast the first stoneā€. [wink.gif]

Alpha Omega due to a certain minority investor.

I wonā€™t buy from Justin because of their land clearing and water tactics.

A friend of mine would not buy a car that advertised on Fox.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I havenā€™t bought and donā€™t plan on buying any Rhys or Justin since finding out that they engaged in business practices that I consider unethical, harmful, and very unreasonable. I recently saw a social media post indicating that the owner and a winemaker of a winery I like are big Trump supporters and donators (I am not). If I find the claim in that post is accurate, I probably wonā€™t buy any or much from that winery either. I donā€™t know these are necessarily boycotts (and honestly, I donā€™t have nearly as much problem with people supporting a politician I donā€™t like as I do with complete disregard for the environment), but with so much great wine available, I just donā€™t see the need to buy from producers with whom I really cannot identify or agree. Iā€™m not going to give people shit for buying from these wineries (although, I may inform them why I donā€™t buy their wines), but for me, they just lost their competitive edge in an extremely competitive marketplace.

Well said.

Support for BLM

Well said on all accounts. This is how I feel as well. While politics/environment is not something that is anywhere near the top of my list when deciding on what wines to purchase, in an extremely competitive market those things can affect whether I purchase one wine over another. The owners and wine makers have every right to support whomever/whatever they prefer and I have the right to not buy their product. Freedom at work. I wonā€™t elaborate an further on my personal political beliefs because there are other venues for that.

Might be getting too political here but I donā€™t like people using their companies as a vehicle to push their personal political agenda. Corporations should stay out of politics. (Side note if it matters - I am a minority)

1 Like

I hear what youā€™re saying, but Iā€™ve been alive for 52 years and had black family and friends for all of those years. I understood Kapernick kneeling, and supported it but living in rural Oregon wasnā€™t sure what I could do. Watching George Floydā€™s death isnā€™t something I want any American to have as a possibility in their lives.

And my winery, S-Corporation that it is, is still my winery. And if itā€™s bad business to alienate half or 100% of my customers by me speaking out on IG, then I donā€™t need to be in business.
I donā€™t have a personal IG account, and I donā€™t miss it. I was rarely responsible for the posts prior to to Memorial Day, but Iā€™m not going to get bullied, either by those who think I should speak up or those that think I should stick to selling wineā€¦not anymore than Lebron James should ā€œshut up and dribbleā€.

People can buy wines from whomever they want. And if this post makes me a pretentious jerk or be perceived as one, thatā€™s my fault. But my ā€œbusinessā€ is my life, so it has to function according to my moral character not according to whether offending someone is a poor choice.

Unless corporations can transport themselves into a vacuum itā€™s impossible for them to live outside of a political world. Not only from the world coming into them but from their actions affecting the world. Thatā€™s why they give so much money to parties and candidates.

For some reason acknowledging that publicly upsets people though.