Ever boycott a winery?

Thank you. This makes me want to buy from them even more. However, if someone has a different opinion than I do and this makes them not want to buy from them, that’s they’re prerogative and I have nothing against it.

Part of the problem much?

Ditto on Constellation/Mondavi - because of dishonesty on To Kalon.

I thought the Pax email was the best I received among the many emails, social media posts and various advertisements.

Not because of some statement Pax had his PR team write, but because his employees put their own comments and resources out there. I think the point was to encourage their customers to learn and then form an opinion. It is outstanding for a company to allow their employees to have such a platform and stake in the company’s external communication.

Ditto!

Pax just moved up my list of wines to seek out.

If I was boycotting Pax due to an unsolicited email supporting the Trump re-election campaign, would I be part of the problem, David?

Since that’s not what was going on it’s not relevant.

Dude, you frequently come off as a know-it-all grouch. Just my impression.

First, I was thinking about buying the wine boycotts at retail.

Second, boycotts do not require group participation. An individual can conduct a boycott on his or her own.

Third, and most important, you may think you know a lot but how can you assert with authority what my intentions were in making this post? You simply don’t know.

I don’t need a pat on the back from you or fellow members about what I choose to do. I was merely curious about what others thought about a complex issue.

You may enjoy your prickly counterpunching, but the act is getting old to me.

See my signature line …

I am a grouch, and you are making a useless gesture.

I did not know, or did not remember knowing, and received the answer in a PM.

I tend to move on from wineries that get purchased by the corporations.

I admire the work they put in and am happy for their success, but I then want to change my support to owner operated wineries.

Very much not the same thing. That email was a pretty politically inert message.

If you hold your email that sacred, I would recommend you not give it out to any business.

To the original topic, I haven’t “boycotted” any winery. I very well may if I knew of egregious behavior of the principal(s). I don’t really care who they support politically, as it is their right - again, unless it is a very non-mainstream and egregious position.

Just looked it up (easy google search)…had no idea, the more you know…

Yep. There’s only one alternative to thinking that black lives matter.

Yes. I actively boycott Weingut Keller in the reinhessen because of the pricing.
Alex

Wow there are some interesting people in this thread to say to least.

To answer the OP Question the answer is yes. There are certain brands/businesses that once I know what their political/environmental/ethnical stance is & if its a complete 180 I choose not to support them. They always say vote with your wallet right… and like most things in life there’s always choice in what you buy, where you buy, and how you buy.

I think business know this very well and try to keep their stance or founder’s stance separate from the business (see Home Depot vs lowes). I think it’s admirable when a business chooses to make a stand for something regardless of the backlash because there will be one.

1 Like

Acting in ways that are consistent with your values is not a useless gesture. The financial impact may not be profound, but that’s not the only way to measure a behavior.

My dad modeled this a lot when I was growing up, refusing to patronize businesses that treated my disabled brother as a second class citizen. I’m sure those businesses did just fine without our money, but I’m glad we didn’t stay there, eat there, whatever. It taught me something important.

the hate on Pax’s email in particular is interesting, because I actually thought it was an upstanding move, and I liked the idea of suggesting reading material to further educate instead of just preaching. We have ALL gotten so many “message from our CEO” emails lately preaching at us without really saying anything that it was refreshing to see a “don’t just take our word for it, educate yourself” for a change.

im right there on the Rhys and Wagner no-buys. Also in my no-buys are just about anything with a Rolland influence, but thats just a taste thing, not a political statement (I mean, unless “I don’t like the direction right bank Bordeaux took” is a political statement?). I’m sure there are some others, but the world of wine is so big that generally avoiding I think is a very different stance than outright boycotting.

Thankfully, I think the non-oblivious / non-racist folks here agree with you, and the hate is limited - or so I’d hope…

You really want to go down this path? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.