Ever Have To File A Complaint About Another Winery?

I believe that relationships within the community (winemaking) are important. Whether some one is wearing a mask or not at another winery, I would not consider my business.

OK, I am stupider and wronger than usual. To make up for my jumping to logical conclusions, how about if Larry and I drop over tonight for a very cozy, make-amends dinner. I can bring over some noodles and dumplings.

No masks, of course. Nobody will blow the whistle on us three.

That’s a serious problem. You clearly just want them to comply, not get shut down and not start a feud, create a public spectacle or trigger an over-reaction by bureaucrats that would hurt other wineries. Is there an authority you can trust to take the right measured action - a warning they’ll take seriously?

Merrill,

Again, you and I have different opinions about ‘morals’ perhaps - there are plenty of consumers out there who prefer to never wear masks, never social distance, etc. That is there prerogative. But businesses have been given regulations - they’re not difficult to follow, and if an owner out of arrogance refuses to do what they are supposed, possibly jeapordizing my ability to do so, I won’t stand for it, especially after communicating with them directly about this.

You look at this as possibly being negative on the wine community - I look at it as supporting the wine community and what we are all going through. Again, different ways of looking at this.

Cheers.

If strangers were more respectful of relationships, this pandemic would stop. Right, Merrill?

Worst case is this winery becomes the credited source of an outbreak that becomes a big news story, causing the state to shut down tasting rooms state-wide. Selfish, reckless, egregious.

You know what you want to do - why come here asking for “opinions” if you don’t want to consider them?

What if Larry is also a customer, not just a competitor?
How would your logic process that?

winemaking, production, vineyard crews, hospitality, sales, marketing, transportation, etc: it’s all intertwined. we need to be undivided in the message of health and safety.

::likebutton::

Then, why present your authoritative “knowledge“, disclaim any first-hand experience to justify that “knowledge”, and finally ask why others will not uncritically accept it?

This debate has been like shooting fish in a sous vide bag.

An alternate suggestion:

Reach out to your AVA Association and have your Executive Director contact the offending winery to politely remind them of the rules.

We are doing this as much as possible within the Willamette Valley.

This is also an issue with Social Media posts. An innocent photo at a winery posted on Facebook or Instagram with C-19 rules being ignored is an invitation to unwanted scrutiny.

To Paul’s point above, everyone is in this together and if there is a winery related outbreak it would reflect poorly on the entire industry.

I wouldn’t do that either.

I guess I’m simple minded, why post about it and not just report them to the authorities? Let them investigate. I think it would be the right thing to do in these times.

Why?

It has been effective. The call is made from the perspective of: “reaching out to ensure you don’t get blindsided. There have been reports that…”

<<>>

Where is the line, Merrill?

Jay walking
Speeding
CD theft
Wine theft
Exposing the public to a very virulent and lethal health issue
Arson
Murder

Wine theft? Arson? Murder (by virus)?

Just a wild guess and I’ll say this is happening in and around his tasting room.