Ever Have To File A Complaint About Another Winery?

I will not object to your self-characterization. See, I am not always a PITA (although, why I resemble flatbread is odd).

The 2020 factual experience of almost 155,000 other Americans might trump your inexperienced opinion. By your opinion that they hurt only themselves, that would constitute quite a suicide epidemic.

Everyone presupposes that I have not already reported them, which I have. Was just looking for how others would handle. And much to the chagrine of Merrill, I am open to and do listen to other opinions . . .

Cheers.

If it was because I was impacted financially short-term, I probably wouldn’t say anything .

If the concern was the safety of me and my employees, or i was concerned that all wineries in my area would be shut down (resulting in a longer term financial impact ) I would say something .

Form conclusion, start fact finding? I hope you never make detective.

Not even a larceny detective?

Maybe long term, unauthorized borrowing?

I don’t think i would report anything to authorities. If I knew the egregious party well enough I would talk to them

In person, so that nothing possibly leaks to authorities? The more egregious the party, the more private the discussion?

Do you apply this duty-of-care standard to just winemakers? How about doctors, pilots, and bus drivers?

Yes

Interesting. Should Larry and the other winemaker wear a mask, when chatting discreetly?

Victor,

But that’s the ‘catch 22’ - the winery owner does not ever wear a mask [snort.gif]

As I said above, I was just curious what others would do in a similar situation. It sucks that any business has to be concerned about any of the other businesses in their area, and this has zero to do with ‘competition’ whatsoever. I do not wish any business ill will, but I also can’t stand by silently if a business is going to put my business at risk and after I have spoken to them directly. And as I said above, this is not about ignorance - it is about arrogance.

Cheers.

Make no false dilemmas. Some people can be both ignorant and arrogant.

I respect that Larry. You certainly are put in a bad situation.
Victor i read your posts here and you are a vital part of these forums however I don’t personally know you and thus don’t and won’t interfere in your decisions. No judgement either

I am not in the business, but have been a frequent visitor to wineries and tasting rooms. My wife is a lung transplant recipient who is at extreme risk from Covid-19. I consider people who do not wear masks as an extreme threat to her health. I would report this winery (and hope the authorities come down hard on them)

I have absolutely zero tolerance for anybody deliberately not wearing a mask. It is stupid, selfish, and puts lives in danger. This is not just some voluntary action that affects the people doing it, but something that can easily affect others who have not had any say in whether or not some crazy winery flouts the law and refuses to enforce mask wearing.

As for keeping good relationships, I really don’t give a damn. They are acting in a way that impacts your community, and puts lives in danger. What is the point of quarantining if a few assholes decide to spread the disease either through some deranged political ideology, selfishness, or being too fucking stupid to do the right thing?

Like Andy, I’m in Oregon. I would be loathe to call official authorities and would prefer to work within the community. If I felt something was seriously jeopardizing the industry, the AVA association would be my first stop. Next I would enlist other wineries to talk with them and to help drive home the point you are making - that we are all hurt if one of us fails to follow protocols. Calling authorities could get ugly … the press might learn about it and paint all wineries with the same brush, etc., damaging the reputation of the region and industry.

The virus could do exactly that also----but far faster and fatally. Out of the wok, and into the fire…

So, bad publicity, as a possible but unlikely by-product to protect innocent people about the truth, would be far preferable, in my uninformed, noodle-slinging opinion. Nobody ever died from an infection of bad publicity.

Moreover, to stop bad publicity, simply stop the bad underlying behavior. Solve the cause, not the symptom.

Todd,

I am not one to do something to ‘harm’ anyone that is part of my industry. This winery is not part of our Vintner’s Association, complicating matters a bit more. And should the press learn about this, they will find that nearly every other winery in the same vicinity are bending over backwards to follow the regulations as required. It would make them look even worse . . .

Cheers!

Take pictures.