Facebook "10 things others like but I don't" challenge - adult beverage version

Any form of coffee

Martinis

Port

Margaritas that are frozen or use sweet and sour mix

Infused spirits

Bespoke “up” cocktails from hipster mixologists that taste like medicine or turpentine

Sour, bretty beers

Sparkling wines from anywhere but Champagne

Sangria

Any wine or spirit “made” by a celebrity front person

I couldn’t agree more. This was definitely subsumed in my category of drinks where the only flavor comes from the non-alcoholic component.

And to think there was a time that keeping a bottle of Stoli in the freezer was “sophisticated” (at least in my circles). Take a liquor whose sole purpose is to be flavorless and then chill it down to further suppress any flavor that might have accidentally snuck in - Mmmm, delicious! [scratch.gif]

1. dry sherry
    2 dessert wine…period
    3 red wine and chocolate (regardless of what everyone says)
  2. Islay scotch that smells like fire damage
  3. IPA
  4. hard cider
  5. any beer with Lite or Light in its name
  6. italian bubbles including prosecco
  7. anything anise flavored…ouzo, zambucca, pastis
  8. flavored vodka
  1. There are two Cotats who are cousins. I have not found much difference in their wines. Cottat is much different.

2. If you ever see Vatan at a good buy this is certainly also worth a try. But they have gotten much harder to find and more expensive over recent years.

You really left yourself wide open for that and I could not resist. [oops.gif] Sorry. [pillow-fight.gif] [cheers.gif]

I also don’t like coffee, so even with the list sticking to alcoholic drinks, I should probably put coffee drinks (Irish coffee, etc.) and coffee liqueurs on my list and demote one of the others to 11. And add Beaujolais Nouveau for number 12.

I have enjoyed a bottle or two of Vatan, but not enough to continue seeking it out. Cotat has never worked for me.

My sauvignon blanc issue is that I don’t like cat pee AND I don’t like grapefruit (the fruit itself, and the flavor in wine).

What I’m a little surprised not to see yet is Italian reds. I mean every category is going to have someone who loves it and someone who really doesn’t like it, but when I first started getting into wine, and wine boards, the major category that many loved (including me, then and now) but seemed to most often be cited in sentences like “I love wine, but I just can’t stand …” was Italians. The phrase “battery acid” would come up more than once.

Of course, times were different and those were the days when most of the internet winos were chasing '89 and '90 Bordeaux, and the newly emerging cult cabs from Napa, so Italians probably did taste overly acidic by comparison…

This has been an interesting read. I’m curious what are white wines (if any) that the folks who hate Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc do like? Do the SB haters also hate Sauternes for example?

1. DeKuyper
  2. Mixto tequila
  3. Any non fresh squeezed Orange juice but especially with flavor packets and enzymes added. Most orange juice is de-oxygenated and sits in tanks for years:
    Orange juices with/without flavor packs and pulp-dissolving enzymes - Toxinless
  4. Dark roast coffee. Unless you are making espresso, get light roast arabica. Flavored coffee makes me gag.
  5. IPAs
  6. Dry sherry
  7. Tawny Port
  8. Sauvignon blanc
  9. White Burgundy: I thought Simon Bize Corton-Charlemagne was pretty boring on the nose and once you add in pox, I just can’t imagine. It seems to me chardonnay has very little primary flavor and winemakers mostly like it in that it is so open to secondary flavor.
  10. I have some Cahors aging in hopes that it does the trick–but have never had a malbec that I liked.
  1. German beer
  2. Gewurztraminer
  3. Martinis with anything besides traditional pimento-stuffed olives (citrus, cocktail onions, bleu cheese-stuffed olives, etc.)
  4. Martinis made with a.) too little Vermouth, and 2.) anything other than Gin.
  5. Ardbeg - it’s just too much.
  6. Warm booze (like Irish coffee, for example, or mulled wine)
  7. Bottles of mixing spirits that are large. Why can’t some company manufacture tiny little bottles of vermouth? I’m actually not sure if this meets the criteria of the OP, as I’m not sure anyone likes them. I know, I know, the packaging wouldn’t be environmentally friendly. But still. This is a fun discussion.
  8. Rioja / darn near any wine made from Tempranillo.
  9. Most village-level red Burgundy.
  10. Offlines at restaurants.
  1. Facebook
  2. Buttery Chardonnay
  3. heavily oaked washington cabs/merlots
  4. most anything Macallan has made in the past 15+ years
  5. DIPA
  6. most domestic saignee rose
    7-10) Also Facebook

I don’t get either grapefruit or cat pee in Sauternes, or in the couple of skin-fermented SBs I’ve had, which is why I listed them as exceptions to my dislike for SB. I wonder if the other SB haters feel the same.

The only other major categories of whites I actively dislike are those that are overly oaky and/or buttery, or those made in an oxidative style (like Lopez de Heredia whites, though I love the reds). Most of the whites in my cellar are Riesling (traditionally sweet Kabis and Späts rather than GGs or trockens), Loire chenin (sec and demi-sec), Chablis, and Rhônes, in that order, but there are others in there, too. Not counting sparklers and stickies, both of which also have their sections.

And I agree re “interesting read” - taste being as personal as it is, it’s fun to see the variety out there. Most of the lists posted so far have at least one thing on them that I drink fairly often, and enjoy - milk, Champagne, whiskey, Earl Grey tea, syrah and grenache, stout, (certain types of) chardonnay, Port, dessert wine, and Islay Scotches (including my favorite, Ardbeg). Just as I’m sure some will look at my list and say “how do you not like Central Coast pinot?” or whatever.

Which is good because if we all had the same favorites and hated the same stuff - think of the prices!

I also dislike a lot of SB. That is why I mentioned Cotat and Vatan as exceptions.

1. Gin (i’m a really affable character, but Gin makes me want to get into a fistfight for no good reason)
  2. Coffee (don’t like the flavors, and seems it’s more about “the ritual”)
  3. Hot Tea (see Coffee)
  4. Grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed or otherwise)
  5. Absinthe (not a fan of black licorice)
  6. Meade (just comes off as thick and heavy)
  7. Rose’ with discernable RS
  8. Laphroaig (if i wanted a mouthfull of dirt, i’d take a spoon and head to the garden)
  9. Wheat beers (just not my jam)
  10. Pinot Noir from Carneros (i’m a big PN fan, just don’t find this AVA as compelling as others)

Trying not to steal it all from Greg T…

Oxidized flavor profiles.

Light/Lite Beer

Sour Beer

Bourbon

Licorice flavored alcohol: Sambuco, Ouzo, Jager, etc…

Residual sugar in wines I think should be dry.

Alcoholic beverages with milk/cream in them.

Coffee based drinks.

Hard Seltzer

Fat, flabby, overly sour milk malolactic Chardonnay.

I’m really surprised at how many people dislike Bourbon. I’d assume it’s mostly because it’s too sweet, no?

Orange wines
Bordeaux younger than 25
Warm climate chardonnay
white burgundy producers who continue to gloss over pox
Napa wines
“regular” beer & sour beer
martini’s
anything “shooter”
Port younger than 40 or 50
“fruit” wines

1 - Any wine that sounds like the name of a subdivision.
2 - Almost all wines with more than 25% (or so) new oak. There are a few exceptions.
3 - Wines that taste creamy and thick.
4 - Wines with lots of alcohol that finish hot.
5 - American oak…dill and whiskey do not belong in wine.
6 - Wine that is produced in hundreds of thousands of bottles but that people think is “rare” or “fancy” (Clicquot, Rombauer Chard, etc.).
7 - Wines that get attention just because of points.
8 - Wines made for the sake of weirdness that are “interesting” but not delicious. A wine’s first duty is to be delicious enough to where you want another glass.
9 - The phrase “grape varietal”. Grapes have varieties. Not varietals. “Varietal” is an adjective, just like “societal”.
10 - Beer. All of it.

1. Beer with a lot of hop
  2. Ice in whiskey
  3. Cocktails unless I’m at a beach or pool
  4. Coffee
  5. calamansi beer (nasty beer i tried in Philippines)
  6. Gin & tonic
  7. Port