Facebook "10 things others like but I don't" challenge - adult beverage version

1. Hoppy beer (almost any beer outside of Pilsner/Lager actually).

2. Most California wine

3. Anything that ends in -schlager

4. White Viognier

5. Wines on American oak

6. Flawed wines posing as “natural wines”

7. White wines with too much texture

8. Flavored alcohols (infusions are fine)

9. Most wines made from Bordeaux varieties

10. Pinot Gris

In no particular order.

Totally forgot about this one. “Cinnamon whiskey,” “peanut butter whiskey” (which, yes, is a thing in case you’ve escaped it). Definitely on my list. I need to make it a top 15 instead.

Ha- I have a bottles of both fireball and screwball as jokes.

We have Fireball in the house. Among other things, we have a family member who was doing promotions work for them at one point, and we had others here who wanted to try it, etc. So I have been familiar with it pretty much since it hit the big time.

But having said that, I had no warning that peanut butter whiskey was a thing until I was in a local store and found myself walking toward a promotional pour table for something I couldn’t yet see. “Would you like to try some peanut butter whiskey?,” the nice young lady asked as I approached. Now, there are several things I would expect to hear from a nice young lady behind a tasting table at the hooch store, and I was prepared for any of them, but “peanut butter whiskey” are three words it never occurred to me would ever be uttered in that order in my presence. Caught completely off guard, I audibly laughed, managing a “no thanks” somewhere in there as well. I felt bad, as I generally am polite enough not to laugh at people pouring samples just because I don’t like what they are pouring, even if it’s Meomi or Apothic or Buttercream chard. But dang, a guy needs some kind of warning before you just fire “peanut butter whiskey” at him, if you want the polite response.

[snort.gif]

I obviously lead a very sheltered life.

Basically a copy and paste for me except for #2. Would replace it with chenin Blanc for me

Me too!

I eat peanut butter or almond butter every day, but that sounds disgusting.

X100 to #7…end up with a bunch of crap in the back of the cabinet destined to sit there forever (as next time I need it I forget I have it already).

Totally invites disagreement and ridicule!

And Robert obliged immediately! Gotta get those kicks in when someone is feeling all vulnerable and sensitive.

At least I’m used to it at this point in life. Sigh.

The thing about bourbon and hard liquor is the alcoholic burn. I really dislike that. And with Pinot Noir it’s that grape jelly taste. If it goes away and there’s some earthiness I don’t mind it at all. But more often than not it’s apparent no matter where the wine is from.

Tim - there’s not much Sauv Blanc in Sauternes. I think the one with the largest percentage by far is Guiraud and they’re only around 30% or so. Most of them are Semillon with only miniscule quantities of SB.

It is not nearly as bad as you think- not disgusting IMO but it is, for lack of better words, simply very very weird. A bit sweet of course. Can’t imagine anyone drinking it on a regular basis or as more than just trying it to see.

There isn’t much wine that I don’t appreciate with a few exceptions so I had to go beyond food & beverages.
Since you asked…

1. Gruner Veltiliner
  2. calamari, fried rubber bands anyone?
  3. Arnot Roberts wine
  4. Alternative music from Iceland
  5. panettone, aka boring dried out sweet bread
  6. green chile beer
  7. wine tasting like biology experiments gone bad, see #3
  8. vegemite (ok, I don’t know anyone who likes it but I know there are some)
  9. tattoos
  10. mint chocolate

Let me know when you want to trade beer for wine…

1. Beer which does not taste like beer (mocha habanero raspberry IPA…)
  2. Most Sauvignon Blanc
  3. Spanish wines with lots of dill from the oak
  4. Cambie
  5. High alcohol/high oak Pinot Noir
  6. Constellation
  7. Most Gamay (but the search continues)
  8. Captain Morgan
  9. Fireball
  10. Weissbier

[dance-clap.gif]

Anytime! Would always be happy to trade for the beat Pilsner made in America! Not buttering up. Folks, if you have not had the Heater-Allen Pilsner and you like the taste of BEER then you’re missing out on the purest and most “draft beer” awesomeness that exists in the beer world.

Hopefully this is actually a list of things most here DO like - as the name of the game entails.

1. Zinfandel
  2. Rose Champagne
  3. Peaty Scotches
  4. Ordering wine from a restaurant
  5. Oxidized whites
  6. Floral notes in wine
  7. IPA’s
  8. Buying current releases
  9. Garnacha
  10. Zero-dosage bubbles

It’s still booze. Anything over 30% alcohol is firewater.

…as opposed to?

Viognoir

Viognier added into Syrah. Makes the wine more interesting. Viognier on its own…not my thing.