Fait-Main Save the Date

This new release will be the second wine from St. Emilion he’s made under Fait Main.
http://faitmainwines.com/Todeschini-Asteria.html

The Todeschini Asteria St. Emilion’s are on Benchmark for $162-$188 depending on the vintage. I’m not sure what they were on the list at release but that doesn’t seem far off from what the Napa Cabs are.

The email said, “Inaugural vintage…” so the first one must have been from a different vineyard. Thanks for posting.

Correct. The email says “our inaugural vintage from the Le Châtelet Vineyard in Saint-Emilion”. The first Fait-Main St. Emillion being the Todeschini Asteria and the 2015-18s are all available on Benchmark. From what I gather the Todeschini family owns Chateau Mangot & Chateau La Brande though I’m not sure which or if both make it into the Asteria.

Melka was making one from the same vineyard I believe … not sure if the project fizzled out or if they are now both making one from there… and unsure of the quality vs marketing vs QPR. Will be interested to see launch price.

In reference fo the Chateau for having a “surprisingly low profile for many years” in this link: https://www.thewinedoctor.com/bordeaux/chatelet.shtml
“The other reason this estate has flown under the radar in recent years is, perhaps, that it too was demoted; this was back in 1996 (ironically, the year Château Beau-Séjour Bécot returned to its previous ranking), the property cast out from the rank of grand cru classé into St Emilion anonymity. Under the current management, however, quality here has been on the up, and the property was accordingly reinstated to the grand cru classé rung of the classification’s ladder in 2012.”

1 Like

2018 FAIT-MAIN LE CHÂTELET VINEYARD ST. EMILION GRAND CRU
The sunny exposure and limestone-rich soils of this historic 8-acre site produce fruit with incredible energy and perfumed aromatics. This medium- to full-bodied wine is pure and intense, full of warm plum, crushed black fruits, and thrilling tension. Velvety tannins and a long, aromatic finish make this 100% Merlot a vintage to remember – ready to savor now, but also structured for graceful aging.

100% Merlot
75 cases produced
$375 for a 3 pack

It is 100% Merlot.

How exactly does it work for Benoit to release a wine from Bordeaux and wines from Napa? The growing seasons and harvest dates for Napa and Bordeaux are aligned so he clearly can’t be in two places at once. I have to think he’s directing the winemaking for the Bordeaux wines but not actually making them himself.

Seems a little odd for a label that literally means handmade to offer a wine that the named winemaker never actually touches.

That’s the offer I got: 2018 FAIT-MAIN LE CHÂTELET VINEYARD ST. EMILION GRAND CRU 3 X 750ML $375.00. It looks a good price, compare with the price range you mentioned. However, I am not a big fan of Merlot, and I bought enough 2018 Realm Tempest, so I think I will pass this release.

1 Like

Good point.

1 Like

From the website on the Asteria:
“Almost as soon as I met Lionel Kreff, I knew that we should make wine together. It took some time for the pieces to fall into place, but our collaboration finally became reality the same year Lionel’s son—my godson—was born. Together, we would make a St. Emilion Grand Cru from the Asteria Vineyards in St. Étienne de Lisse.”

The email didn’t say anything about the new one but I would imagine it’s also made by/with Lionel.

1 Like

I bought one and then also a 6 pack of the Chard. I had selected 2 three packs but saw the extra shipping cost and also thought “I don’t need that much Merlot.”

1 Like

Cool, I am looking forward to read your tasting note [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

The wines arrived a few days ago. I don’t think I’ll open any of the Chatelets for a few years. I’ll do the 16 Asteria sometime this year probably.
I am glad I added on the 6 pack of Chard, we opened one last night as we transitioned from oysters to clam linguini. Obviously CA Chard when we blinded but waffling on the place - someone said SLH until we eventually did open a Lucia 19 SLH and did a side by side. Lots of life left for the wine so the 5 bottles will maybe do 1 a year or so. Lots of coconut - Hawaiian tropic suntan lotion - juicy pears, green apple, lemon/citrus oil, white pepper/piquant acidity.