Falltacular 2019...a thank you in advance/thread for TNs and comments

Excellent!

I hope the fundraising went well.

Good morning to all of you. It’s humbling for us to do this event, that all of you keep coming back year after year to support Laura’s House. As we consider yesterday, some thoughts I want to pass along…

The fellowship and relationships that are in the core of this event are powerful. The generosity, warmth, sense of family and all the threads that tie these important things together were on display yesterday. An amazing group of people you are.

Thank you to the wineries for the support, as well as the individual donators who made the inside of the house and the garage successful. When I have a firm # to share with all of you, I will post it in the coming days. And for those who spent $$$ in the garage auction, we will surely break any existing record we had for the total.

As we put a close to this year, please send a winery (or more) a note if you enjoyed their wines yesterday. What we want to remember is that without the wineries, there is no wine being poured. Email or message them to show them their wines were appreciated. I always thank them but I need for you as a group to do the same. Please.

And again, THANK YOU!

I was remiss yesterday in thanking Neudesic and fellow Berserker Mark Jones for the support in providing all of the custom glasses not only for the Friday dinner, but the event last night too. Mark, really appreciate the dedication you and the firm show Laura’s House. Rock solid man and we appreciate it and you.

Is that a garage or an airplane hangar? Wow, that’s a lot of wine!

I hope this thread helps to illuminate what a unique and special event this is. I can sincerely say that I am fortunate to live near this group of people and to be able to attend this event.

I cannot imagine the effort and coordination it takes to pull off this event, and the patience required to allow 175-ish people to eat/drink (and spill wine:food) throughout your house for 10 hours. Frank and Jill do it on an annual basis, and for some (likely many) of us it’s one of the happiest events of the year!

Thank you’s almost seem too subdued…we all get back so much more than we put into this event. Anyway…a sincere thank you!

Oh, yeah, and this event will likely raise $50K to help change the lives of abused women and their children.

We always hear an inspiring speach at the event from a victom of abuse who was provided shelter and guidance towards a second chance by Laura’s House.

We should be similarly inspired by Frank/Jill, the women in red in the photos above, the winery participants who donate their wines, and many others who make this event possible. In these polarizing and exceedingly self/greed-oriented times, selfeless efforts like these should also be an inspiration.

Andrew, well said. You’re a beautiful friend and a long-time supporter of the event. Thank you, man.

Three cheers for Frank, Jill and everyone who supports the event, near and far.

Domestic abuse is a scourge upon society, and it’s heartening to see how the community supports those who are suffering its effects.

I was able to blast through a few TNs before the insanity set in. I saw Grammar, FMIII, Seiber and a few others scratching on crumpled pieces of wine stained paper so more notes should arrive over the next few days.

• 2016 Sandler Wine Company Grenache Boer Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (2/17/2019)
    Dark garnet pushing black. Excellent herbs and spices across the palate. Dark cherry and a tannic blast follows the attack. Big green note during the finish. Well built in the style of age worthy Grenache from southern France. This requires more age to blossom. It’s tasty just aggressive.

• 2014 Ladd Cellars Chardonnay Cuvée Voile - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2019)
    Love this wine. Really strong mineral as the basis for strong citrus flavors. Lemon, lime, and pineapple. Supposedly there was 20% new oak but it’s nowhere to be seen. Clean, lean, and mean the way I like my chardonnay.
  • 2015 Big Basin Vineyards Altitude 2292 Coastview Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County (2/17/2019)
    I didn’t even know they made this type of wine, shame on me. Really nice dark plum notes with black cassis and coconut/oak note. I like it.
  • 2015 Bohème Wines Pinot Noir Taylor Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2019)
    Distinctly dark color compared to a few of the light PN previously tasted. There’s medium level of toasted oak with bright red cherry and muddled Raspberry.
  • 2015 L’Ecole No. 41 Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/17/2019)
    Really nice cabner Sauvignon in a style I prefer. The tannins are quite forward at this age so cellar time is required if that’s an issue. Beautifully flavored cassis and light toasting. Additional red fruit note at the finish. Nice QPR.
  • 2015 Liquid Farm Chardonnay Golden Slope - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (2/17/2019)
    Burgundy nose. I haven’t tasted GS in a few vintages, this seems to have more acid and less of the heaviness I remember. Medium oak wtih lime and lemon rind. Very tropical finish.
  • 2015 Young Hagen Pinot Noir Riddle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2019)
    I tasted this wine 6 months ago but didn’t write up a tasting note. I knew I like it. Cool Pinot. There’s a smokey luxardo cherry flavor, if you like old fashions then you know what I’m referring too. Dark fruit/Black cherry/blackberry. Foundation of medium+ minerality. Very good.
  • 2016 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Coastview Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County (2/17/2019)
    You can taste the redwoods in this wine, really neat. The wood treatment results in sandalwood but since this is near the redwoods, I’ll defer to the mighty tree. Red fruit profile and slightly drying finish. Age worthy here.
  • 2016 Carlisle Zinfandel Papera Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (2/17/2019)
    Nose was a little disappointing, it’s muted compared to the field. Don’t worry, the palate is ridiculously good. Great concentration and intensity of mineral and red berries. Superb.
  • 2016 Fogline Vineyards Pinot Noir Hillside Block (Estate) - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2019)
    I like everything Evan does and he’s a great and entertaining person to talk with. The wine is dark garnet and it sparkles. Great balance of acid and fruit with gentle oak notes. Think Zinfandel but with a cranberry and rhubarb kicker. Great wine.
  • 2016 Fogline Vineyards Zinfandel Rocky Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Rockpile (2/17/2019)
    Very dark color of a zin which led me to believe it would be concentrated but not the case, this is a feminine and graceful zin of pomegranate fruit.
  • 2016 Grimm’s Bluff Sauvignon Blanc Reserve - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (2/17/2019)
    My first Grimm and I’m a fan, not just of this wine, but everything I tasted. Explosive nose, aromas are tropical, yellow pear, juniper berry, and pine tar. I haven’t even tasted it yet and I like it. Palate shows a solid chalky mineral base with a long finish. Great complexity for SB, this isn’t your New Zealand acid bomb which I do like too.
  • 2016 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Steltzner Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District (2/17/2019)
    This is a glass strainer, wow… Looks like a petite Sirah. Nose is a big fruity Napa cab. Thick cassis wrapped in cocoa and roasted vanilla coffee. Not my thing but it’s certainly a popular style.
  • 2016 Tablas Creek Esprit Blanc de Tablas - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles Adelaida District (2/17/2019)
    Nose is interesting and then the palate was just okay with a big hole in the middle. I moved on.
  • 2017 August West Pinot Noir Peterson Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (2/17/2019)
    I’m loving the mossy nose, the earth tones are refreshing. Red cherry and tart cranberry flavors with a fresh cut pine finish. I always like Peterson and Ed is an awesome person. Win win.
  • 2017 Delmore Limited Release - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (2/17/2019)
    Hey, Darren! Nice wine. Deep violet color with a perfume and Raspberry aroma. Reminds me of a nice Sanford wine, makes some sense since it is SRH fruit. Tart Raspberry and pomegranate.
  • 2017 DV8 Cellars Viognier Victory Camp 4 Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/17/2019)
    Mango and pear fruit with a hint of jasmine. Medium weight and good mouthfeel. Would I call it Viognier blind? Probably not but what do I know?
  • 2017 Fogline Vineyards Gewürztraminer Flora Spring Hills Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (2/17/2019)
    Winner and a standout in the lineup of whites. Nose has a flint aroma and something I could only classify as “unique”. It’s old world, it’s complex with flavors of matchstick, sage, and parsley. Excellent wine.
  • 2017 Iskaranu Pinot Noir Secret Clone Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (2/17/2019)
    The 50% new oak shows in this wine immeditely with a maple syrup nose. It’s big and powerful. If you like your dark fruited and sweet toasted oak/maple notes then this is perfect.
  • 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2019)
    Last tasted 6 months ago. Wow, this is evolving and getting better in my opinion. There’s an earthy clay pot and pulverisded lava rock aroma. Tart red fruit and white chalk.
  • 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Graveyard Block Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2019)
    This caught everyone off guard, the citrus notes are omnipresent. It wasn’t like I was the only one pulling this marmalade profile. Specifically, an orange note much like you’d get off Summa Old Vine from Rivers-Marie but even more prevelant. The flavors are cranberry and lean but a general citrus flavor. Great stuff.
  • 2017 L’Ecole No. 41 Chenin Blanc Old Vines - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/17/2019)
    Yellow fruited core with a light lime as the basis of the finish. I wonder how old “old Vine” Chenin might be? Nice.
  • 2017 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay B. Thieriot Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2019)
    Interesting discussion between the geeks over this and the bearwallow. Very different styles. This wine is more in the modern big California style with lots of oak influence. Nose is red apple. Immediately the mouthfeel is obviously medium plus and slick. The oak is toasted and there’s a clear sawed wood finish.
  • 2017 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay Bearwallow Vineyard Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/17/2019)
    This was more my style versus the Theibiot. Sweet pear aromas with a fun lychee nut. This comes across much higher in acid and angular which I prefer. Mid palate is tropical, pineapple, and light smoke note at the finish. Very good.
  • 2018 Tercero Mourvedre Rosé Camp Four Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (2/17/2019)
    Always a favorite Rosé for the house. This continues a string of very strong and consistant vintages. Love the peach aromas and flavor with an earthy foundation.

Posted from CellarTracker

Brig, good set of TNs. That period in the morning is really a gem to allow some wines to be tasted. Funny, the 2017 Kutch Falstaff…in Cellartracker, there are 4 TNs–your 2 and my two. It likes a game of TN tag.

The dog just went to sleep and god forbid I walk into the front of the Falltacular Mansion and walk by his pen. Once I can get up there to that wing, I will grab my TNs and post them. I think I got about 10 done before it got crazy in here yesterday. I suspect Sweater Boy Grammer got close to 100, as he usually busts out most of the house. Maybe Counselor and Rock, too.

Looks like I will have the privilege of writing more Kutch notes in the future. The warden got a little excited during the auction and took down two Kutch auction lots. There was a mag in there too.

I won two of the three Clos Pepe Estate lots.

We were big winners. LOL

My “Haultacular”
327FBF6B-0F11-415F-8B5F-91FB62BBA565.jpeg

LOL

I got the “oh, don’t think you’re leaving those there.”

“Baby, you bought most of them” fell upon deaf ears…
20190217_195130_HDR.jpg

Brigger, between you and Rat, you took down a portion of Mr Bueker’s 2 case donation. Also, John Webber got some of the Ceritas, too.

Buek, thanks for the generosity. As you can see, the wine you sent me translated into real benefit for Laura’s House, with the wines ending up in the hands of Berserkers. Bravo, man.

Glad to see it, and glad a bunch of it got into the hands of fellow Berserkers!

Brig,

Great seing you and the Jersey Girls once again - and thanks for posting your notes. I dug many of the wines that you wrote note on but definitely had some different expressions - and part of this may be due to the timing of the notes. The Carlisle Zin, for instance, was quite muted when I tried it when I arrived, but a few hours later and it certainly was more ‘open for business’. And the Tablas Espirits - both Red and White - were certainly in the running for my wines of the day - just pure elegance in a bottle . . .

Looking forward to seeing more notes - I saw more folks this year with notebooks than I’ve seen in quite some time!

Cheers.

Well done Frankie and team! A vicarious thrill for this reader!

So, a final total is in order. We did crush the record from 2018, beating it by about $7,000.

We did $17,000 and change at the front door.
We did $30,000 and change in the silent auction. Of note, we had an opening bid total of about $15,500 and so we damn near doubled that with your bidding and winning totals.

These are both records. Big time. $47,000 raised.

To do $47,000 in one day is tremendous. Again, think about it…this is a completely volunteer-based event. All of you donate willingly, from the wineries to the guests, and it all goes to Laura’s House.

When you think about Wendy’s survivor story from Saturday that you heard live, these are the women and people you are helping to save and turn their lives around.

In a world where ego, division and narcissism defines leadership, where collaboration and leadership is missing, we proved as a family of people we can beat back that dynamic and for one day, regardless of what you believe and putting aside differences, we came together as one to do something important. Jill Murray and I are humbled by all of you in showing the leadership, generosity and kindness to do something bigger than ourselves for Laura’s House.

In service, thank you.

Given all the work that you and Jill did, it hardly seems like “one day.” I did not sense the exuberance of last year, and am glad that I was wrong. It looks like several wineries included events at their wineries, which must have helped. Great job, Frank!

A great time as always, so many familiar names/faces - thank you for hosting. I’m not a note taker but thanks to Todd I tried my very first Picpoul, which was unexpected to see and rather enjoyable.

As the host for the event, it is nearly impossible for me to taste as I am running around the house the entire event. But, there is always a small window after we set up when we can taste the front bottle (we always have at least 2 bottles of every wine in the event). I typically try and do 10 or so wines before I have to stop and start doing my thing. So, I gravitate to the wines that I may have tasted during my last Nor Cal trip, for example. Nearly all the TNs that follow are in that narrow lane of things, aside from the August West Graham, which is always close to my palate’s heart.

• 2016 Rhys Alesia Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/18/2019)
    Pretty similar in showing to my bottle from this past July. Little smoky in the aroma, with pineapple and citrus cutting through the wine and ending with some mineral in the finish. Good length, balanced well. It doesn’t have the intensity and depth of the single vineyard 2016 Chards, but hell, that’s the point. Bottle the wine that doesn’t make the SV cuts but yet still represents the quality that comes through on the Rhys wines. Quibble for some who want to argue the strategy, for me it makes sense and for around $45 bucks, I like it.
  • 2016 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/18/2019)
    3rd bottle since 2018. What I continue to appreciate about this wine is the equal balance of acidity and fruit, which gives the wine a terrific energy. Raspberry, red apple that are both vivid and zesty, with the same lively quality in the finish. Terrific showing again.
  • 2016 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/18/2019)
    Third bottle of this wine since 2018. This bottle was the most distinctive and compelling of the three. Like with the 2017 Kutch Falstaff I tasted a few mins prior, this Rhys Alpine made me stop and pause, too. The aromatics and even a bit of the core remind of syrah. No, not the previous decade of CA stuff that was the big, ripe 16% syrah that my comment may get you thinking…not that style. What I mean is the gamy note, both in the aromatic and the core of the wine. This gamy nuance is then married with a deep cherry, light herb and soil. Then, it finishes long and clean. This is a superior vintage for Alpine, for sure.
  • 2016 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (2/18/2019)
    This is juicy and approachable. Blue and red fruited, crunchy and zesty. Reminds me some of the 2015 that I drank a few weeks ago. A wine not to really ponder and study but instead enjoy.
  • 2016 William & Mary Cabernet Sauvignon Shifflett Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District (2/18/2019)
    These were slow oxed for maybe an hour before they hit my glass. Plum, shoe leather, graham cracker, cedar and primary, deep/ripe fruit. Polished and approachable.
  • 2016 William & Mary Proprietary Red Shifflett Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District (2/18/2019)
    I tasted this next to Will’s other wine, which is his 2016 Shifflett Ranch Cab. For me, I prefer this Proprietary and this was my same opinion when we tasted the wines together last summer. It’s juicer than the Cab, less primary in tone, too. It has perfumey, floral note and yet possesses the same cedary note as the Cab. Whereas for me the Cab is more approachable, the Proprietary has more structure and is also more vivid and brighter than the Cab. Palate preferences do matter and some may dig the Cab more, but to me that other wine comes off as more modern whereas the Proprietary is built more to my style.
  • 2017 August West Pinot Noir Graham Family Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (2/18/2019)
    I have been fond of this wine for so many years. I remember drinking the 2005 vintage of this wine and loving it then and even with my palate shift since that time, I still enjoy what Ed does with Graham Family. This is zesty, with creamy red fruit, rose petal and that pale red color that always seems to be this vineyard. Delicious.
  • 2017 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/18/2019)
    Damn, first TN. Cool. Jamie put this into Falltacular 2019 and this was my first wine of the day. Light toast aromatic and what seems like a kiss of oak in the wine too. Lightly creamy with a deep cut of lime zest, tangerine and slate in the core of the wine. Powerful at this stage and should be another strong vintage of Kutch Chard.
  • 2017 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/18/2019)
    I tasted this alongside the 2017 Sonoma Coast, FWIW. Leomny, lemon oil and medium weight I really like. Intense with slate, citrus and grapefruit. It doesn’t have the depth of the Sonoma Coast, which I prefer.
  • 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/18/2019)
    Damn. Jamie really hit the home run with this vintage of 'Staff. Each time I have it I find myself pausing and just appreciating what a genius of a wine this turned out to be. This bottle showed a lift of stems and perfume from the cluster that I didn’t remember from the last few bottles, which is fine because it adds that extra factor to what is already a dynamic wine. Tasting this, at one moment it is crunchy and then the next a pure push of black and red fruit that follows into a long finish that also offers structure, too. The length, purity and complexity of this vintage of 'Staff is simply gorgeous. For me, clearly the best wine Jamie Kutch has ever made. No question, and one of the best CA pinot noirs I have tasted. Bravo.
  • 2017 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay Bearwallow Vineyard Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/18/2019)
    Brig and I tasted from the same bottle–see his note below mine. I found this creamy with yellow apple, lemon meringue and some pie crust from the oak. It does have some good acid running through it to help cut the richer core, which I found pretty true to the RM house style.
  • 2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/18/2019)
    Classically RM Ox. Dark fruit, sexy, tangy with some loam and citrus to refine it all together.
  • 2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/18/2019)
    Orange rind, blueberry, with a purity of fruit that reminds me of the 2016 that shot out of the gate last year with so much polish. Also here is red apple, then a finish that has spice and a brushing of caramel. This is delicious Summa, with that sexy, pure quality that makes this vineyard so cool to drink.

Posted from CellarTracker

I do hope that of all the Berserkers that were here on Saturday that we will see some more people post some comments. I challenge you guys to get on your computers here and post some TNs or impressions. Please.