Falltacular 2019...a thank you in advance/thread for TNs and comments

My sixth year supporting Laura’s House on behalf of Tablas Creek, and second with my own Delmore wines on the table. Really great seeing those I’ve met through Falltacular over the years and some Tablas wine club members as well! I knew nobody on year one, but thankfully got seated by Paul Hiyake, and cut to this year I didn’t taste everything because I knew a good chunk of the folks at Frank’s pad and was just digging seeing familiar faces, catching up and reveling in the good vibes of a good cause. Everyone that supported or attended deserves a bravo, as the testimony this year again drove home how essential Laura’s House is for people who feel they’re alone in an unsettled world and have nowhere to climb out of it. Thanks to Frank and Jill!!

As for what I tried, my standouts were Carlisle’s 2017 Compagni Portis White Field Blend (intense floral, muscat-bursting, fruit laden nose, crystalline-fruit sweet palate that turns amazingly dry and mouthwatering), Cobb’s 2016 Mariani Chard (undercover Meursault), Kutch 2017 McDougall Pinot Noir (touch more richness than the other Kutch wines and the stems really worked here… when I was at Hirsch in 2010 we worked with that vineyard; as good as Hirsch!), Dirty and Rowdy Antle Vineyard (showing elegance and purity of Mourvédre, not too natty either), and the Grimm’s Bluff Contango Cabernet (Rich and savory at the same time, not as gripping as the other Cabs on hand).

I’ll be back.

Frank, I’m new around here but not to planning and hosting fundraising events for local causes. I know the work it takes and this sounds like a great event.

I know shipping could eat into profits but have you thought about doing an online auction of some of these lots? Maybe in lieu of bottles it could be winery tastings or dinners? We’ve used a couple sites geared toward charity auctions locally a few times.

The wines were planted in 1978.

Humm… interesting idea. Brilliant actually. For items that you mention, it’d be perfect.

Laura’s House already has access to an online auctioning application which they use for the big gala event every year. They use givesmart. Here’s the Gala auction from 2016. Laura's House Gala | Powered By GiveSmart

Paging FMIII.

Hi everyone—another fantastic year, and so glad my friend Heather could again partake and share. Frankie—that is an amazing total–even if I did hope to hear $50k. As has been said, the best part about this event is how much everyone has embraced it organically. It has been a pleasure and privilege to come down from Toronto any year I have been able to make the event.

I have been super-busy [grin.gif] both Sunday (lunch with Bernie, Dave, Mark and Brad, dinner with Paul Hiyake and various others) and yesterday (SB tasting for a day, finishing dinner at Jim and Perry’s). I promise to have notes up for all stuff (though the dinner notes will be more sketch-like than is my wont).

Online auction—we thought about it too at Sunday dinner, but one of my worries would be how it would impact the terrific dynamic of people being there at the live event—that and what might be hellish logistics. Maybe there can be separate lots for an online–espec. if there are duplicate-style lots. Certainly, still worth considering (the plus side being the ability of those who can’t make it in person to still contribute to the event and cause).

An unmissable event for me now, thanks to everyone who helps make this happen

Mike

Exactly, my thoughts. You still have all the insanity of the live auction because that’s just plain fun being there when it goes down.

But Frank could certainly have “online only” auction items dedicated to those not in attendance so they can play along. As JDR mentioned, things like dinners or winery visits are perfect items for that format.

I am open to looking at the auction idea and perhaps how technology could improve the event. What we have toyed with before unsuccessfully is addressing the online nature of auction versus the paper forms in the garage. If we’re to truly bring the auction to something technology-driven, where there is no confusion and the interface of what’s in play, who is bidding on it and where the person ‘is’ can be resolved, then it may work.

As an aside, we have a legacy attendee who has some ideas for getting more technology into the event, especially the garage’s silent auction. We will explore some of her ideas in the coming weeks, as she may have some ability to put some resources against the ideas to make them happen.

More to come…

Now…let me ask the Falltac family once more. Everyone, post some TNs and some experiences please. I’m not asking for several paragraphs but I would like to see you step forward and share. One thing I want to make sure is that the wineries know you appreciate them. If our event is to go another 13 years, we cannot take for granted the wineries know how we feel about their donations, their craft. Brig, Mike and I cannot be the only folks who stand up this ship. Come on…take 15 mins to post something about what you liked, tasted, etc.

This year, I chose to begin upstairs. Wanted to focus on Big Red Wine. Upstairs was the place.

For the big reds, here are those that were most memorable IMHO.

Riverain Tench Oakville, William & Mary Shifflett Ranch, Myriad Stelzner, Sojourn Beckstoffer Rutherford (All Cabernet Sauvignon), Fogline (Rocky Ridge and Grist Zinfandel). With respect to Syrah, I most enjoyed Darren Delmore Cambria and Myriad Halcon.

For PN, Darren Delmore SRH, Rivers-Marie Summa, and Sojourn Gaps Crown made a clear impression. Oh, and Alesia PN was quite nice. I believe that Alesia is Rhys second label?

Please note that I tasted about half as many wines this year. I chose to be very selective and to drink less. After maybe 2-3 hours of drinking much water between wines, using spit cups, pouring very light, etc. I just knew it was time to stop. Didn’t even get to the whites nor rose’. Know and recognize limitations.

It was very difficult to be so selective with so many great wines available. It seems that the opportunities get better with each Falltacular.

Thanks to all participating vintners. The opportunity to meet some of you and to learn your backstories and approach is priceless.

Thanks to Frank and to Jill for another great Falltacular. We hope to be back!

Dr., you are an inspiration and a beacon. Much respect.

This event is one of very few things on my bucket list.

Many thanks to Frank and Jill for hosting such a wonderful event. I feel lucky to be a part of such a great community contributing to such a worthy cause.

Unfortunately I did not take any formal tasting notes (I was having too much fun talking and tasting and eating), but here are some impressions from what I remember…

This year I tried to focus on the newer producers at the event, and found a number of them quite noteworthy:

Cobb Wines - they had 3 wines (the 2016 Monticue pinot, the 2016 Rice-Spivek pinot, and the 2016 Mariani chard) and I thought all 3 were beautiful. The pinots were elegant and flavorful (I went back for a second taste later in the day to reconfirm how much I liked them), and the chard was on the leaner side and absolutely delicious.
Delmore - he offered up his 2017 Sta Rita Hills pinot and 2017 Cambria syrah - the syrah was well balanced, albeit a bit young, and the pinot (which I got to later in the afternoon) stopped me in my tracks - just a mouthful of pure red fruits with a touch of earth.
Marnet - 2017 Alder Springs pinot - I had this earlier in the day, so it was a bit tighter, but had a lot going on with a darker fruit profile. Got a chance to meet Daniel the owner/winemaker, who said he was only focusing on pinots, with the goal of making distinctive pinots - and this one certainly succeeded in catching my attention. I tried to get this at the silent auction, but sadly was outbid.
L’Ecole - not a new producer, but new to the event - i really enjoyed both their 2014 Apogee and 2014 Perigee Bordeaux blends - made in an old school cab style, both were extremely tightly wound up (it felt like the wines were ripping the enamel off my teeth as I was tasting them), but they both had great stuffing underneath. I would love to try these wines again in 10 years to see how they evolve.
Young Hagen - another new pinot producer, he was showing his 2014 and 2015 vintages of his Riddle pinot. I really enjoyed the 2014 pinot, which offered up dark cherries and spice. Another I tried to pick up at the silent auction, but again foiled by a higher bidder.
Grimm’s Bluff - I only got a chance to try the 2015 Petit Verdot (he was also showing a cab and a Sauvignon Blanc which I did not get to try) - the flavor was big, mouthfilling black fruits and pepper, but it was not over the top - I have not had many 100% PV’s , so it would have been interesting to spend more time with this wine to see how it opened up over time
Dirty & Rowdy - I know this is a board favorite, but it was my first time tasting Hardy’s wines, and as an added bonus, got to spend some time talking to Hardy. I enjoyed all 3 Mourvedre’s that he offered, though for my tastes, I might give a slight nod to the Skinner White Oak Flats. Hardy also pulled out I think a Petite Sirah later in the day which was also very nice.

In terms of other wines tasted, some of the ones that stood out to me were (again, sorry no specific tasting notes)
2015 Matthiasson Cabernet Sauvignon - I remember thinking to myself as I tasted this wine that “wow, this is so approachable for a young Matthiasson”
2016 Tablas Creek Espirit Rouge
2015 Ladd Cellars Avio Zin - totally made in Eric’s style, very elegant but lots of flavor - glad I bought a couple of these during BerserkerDay
2016 Model Farm Chard
2016 Pax Testa Carignane
2016 Rhys Alpine Pinot
2017 Rivers Marie Summa Pinot

Larry Schaffer also pulled out a Petite Sirah later in the day that he had opened the previous day (I can’t recall which vintage) which was amazing - dark, grippy and delicious.

Is it too early to start planning for next year’s event? [cheers.gif]

It’s difficult to be effusive about an event that is a home run every single trip to the plate. I’m just happy to have been able to take part quite a few times. What Frank and Jill do all on their property is positively outstanding. But it’s also about all the participants bringing and donating their time, wine, food and personalities. Cheers to all of you.

I tasted a good amount of wines but didn’t take any notes. Maybe I need to go back to that. I remember tasting many of the big guns along side many I had never seen before. But I don’t remember noting anything about say Rhys or Rivers Marie that stood out for me. And without notes I don’t know if that was due to the wines or my distracted palate.

A few things I did note mentally:

• Cobb Pinots - both of these made me take notice. Nicely restrained style while still throwing some complexity. On my watch list.

• Young Hagen - I again liked the style here even if every bottle wasn’t strong. The build and direction pouring from these is, again, worth paying attention to.

• Ladd Cuvee Voile Chard - I’m pretty sure I noted it last year but it’s again a hit for me. Eric lets the flor develop on this but doesn’t let it go full on Arbois stylee. Just a light touch which gives this a great, dry finish while adding some interesting notes you just don’t see from California.

• Matthiassion Cab - While this didn’t give up a ton in terms of complexity, my palate was struck loudly by the refreshing nature of the wine in comparison to many of the previous Cabs/blends i had tried around it. Very refreshing in terms of build compared in comparison to the weighty, extracted quality of most of the other wines.

• 2005 Alcina “The Sorceress” Petit Sirah - Great to have Greg and Rita back. Greg cheated slightly by putting some of his old release in the lineup but he did bring a good one. I’ve told people previously this is among the very best straight Petit Sirahs I’ve had and after trying it from these bottles, both with crumbly corks, I stand by that assessment. Petit Sirah rarely shows much in terms of complexity by itself but this version does. And like many other PS wines, it’s barely moving in bottle.

• L’Ecole ‘old vines’ Chenin Blanc - Loudly expressive and complex nose on this one. Pulls you in and holds on.

• Tercero Aberration - A darker rose which is where I think Larry’s roses shine. Nice depth of expression here.

I heard about a couple I missed being quite good from palates I respect. Notably the Fogline SC Pinot seems to be something I aims to pay attention to next year.

Thanks again to everyone who came. Always great to party with old and new friends from near and far. champagne.gif

I am a bit surprised that there have not been more notes posted - or at least impressions from those who were there. I saw plenty of notebooks out with folks feverishly jotting things down . . .

I power tasted through many of the wines before most folks got there just so I could free my time up to mingle as much as possible. There were a number of wines that stood out to me - and my feelings may or may not be shared with others:

L’Ecole’s Reds were outstanding, and definitely stood out from the CA Bordeaux variety wines. Elegant with enough herbaceousness to keep me quite happy.

The Matthiason Cab was another outstanding effort from someone who has a deft hand in creating elegant wines with layers. Really nice.

Tablas Creek’s Esprit Red and White blends were both stand outs for me - elegant, balanced, joys to drink indeed.

Dirty and Rowdy - it really was a blast not only getting to taste more of Hardy’s wines but getting to spend some quality time with him and ‘talk shop’ (get that MourvedreCon going, my friend!). Of his wines, I really enjoyed the Evangelho bottling as well as a few 2013s he opened up later in the day - and the PS that was named for his daughter was a real treat indeed. It had the ‘powerful nose’ of a PS like the Mending Wall without the ‘wall’ of tannins.

I enjoyed the Cobb pinots as well - that stood out nicely in a room full of pinots that were aromatically pretty but a bit too lean for my tastes.

And Cris, the 2018 aberration you tried is not a rose - it is a blend of Cinsaut, Grenache and Carignane, picked early intentionally, foot stomped by me, whole cluster fermented for about 10 days, then pressed and put into stainless steel (sees no oak). I affectionately refer to this wine as my #gamalais - as it reminds me of a gamay/bojo . . .

And don’t forget the beers - Zac stepped up and seemed to open a million cans of stuff, but my fave was the Bottle Logic Fundamental Vanilla Bourbon Barrel Stout . . .

And Paul, the PS that was opened was my 2010 - opened the evening before and enjoyed over dinner - but truly singing with a day of air.

Kudos to Jill, Frank, Margaret, all of the volunteers . . . and to those who contributed in any way that they could.

Cheers.

Notes are coming—I’m 2/3 of the way through typing up mine. Hopefully latest tomorrow :wink:

I’m really bummed now that I didn’t taste the Cobb products, Cris—Heather fully agrees with you, her biggest positive surprises of the day.

Didn’t even notice Frank snapping a pic of me as I was helping to set up—sneaky!

Me too. Much thanks, Brig, for letting me have the two 14 Chards, so happy to add those to my cellar!

Yes! Steve Matthiasson’s Cabernet (and Merlot!) based wines are outstanding, and hit a more classical California profile, while not being in any way austere. Some of my tip-top favorite California wines.

A beautiful wine indeed. And it’s challenging for a wine
Like this to stand out in a tasting like this. It definitely is made in a more restrained and demure Style and doesn’t scream at all, but certainly is beautifully layered and elegant.

Another big thanks to Frank and Jill for opening their home once again for a great event in support of an even greater cause. I’ll admit that when I first attended 10 years ago I didn’t even realize it was a charity event until I got there, and had never heard of Laura’s House. I had just heard about the great tasting event from friends and signed up. And even though it is still a great tasting event, it is the charity aspect and the group’s unwavering support for the mission and success of Laura’s House that keeps bringing us back each year. What a special place and so deserving of our support.

Circumstances resulted in us driving up/back from San Diego for the day, so I really cut back on the tasting and spent most of the time chatting with some of the great friends we have made over the years, some active on the board, and many not. Of those wines I tasted, favorites were:
Tablas Creek Esprit (Blanc and Rouge)
Matthiasson Cab and White blend
Both Rivers Marie and both Kutch Chards
Ladd Chard
Tercero Verbiage Blanc
Myriad Halcon Syrah
Riverain Cab
William & Mary Proprietary Red

Truly appreciate the effort the wineries make to support this event year in and out, particularly those who are able to attend in person. I’m still a noob on Instagram with only a handful of followers, but did post a note on Falltacular and thanked as many of the wineries I could find on IG, and tagged some in the photos as well (I quickly learned I can only tag up to 20 per post, so not able to include them all). I did get some likes and comments from a few of the wineries, so hopefully that helps to let them know their efforts were noticed and appreciated.

Already looking forward to our 11th year.

Thanks again to Frank and Jill all those who contributed in any way!

As I note in the IG post, it was a beautiful day, and not just due to the sunny weather.

Cheers, [cheers.gif]

Steve

Thank you to all of you that have taken the time to post and share impressions, whatever you’re able to. Many of you now have stepped up to post and that goes a long way. Steve, Rock, Paul, Pat, Larry…I really appreciate it.

There are more of you out there. Please post. So many of you that play in Facebook and post there, please take a moment and post here. Some thoughts, some of the wines you tasted. The wineries who send us wine every year for this event deserve to be recognized, in whatever you like or want to say.

Due to my wife being a late scratch due to a bad cold, I had more time to take notes than usual. Finding time to type them up has been tougher, but here goes:

William & Mary 2016 Cabernet. Big but balanced. Pretty fruit, dusting of cocoa, a bit of menthol. Well oaked but not over the line for me. Seems like a very good big modern Napa cab for those who don’t want to go all the way to the extreme.

William & Mary 2016 Proprietary Red. I liked this even more than the cabernet (or maybe it’s just in a better place at a young age?). Great marriage of big fruit, pleasing hints of leaf and mineral. Rocking.

Myriad Cabernet Steltzner Vineyard 2016. Restraint? Who needs restraint? Huge and inky, lots of power and concentration. Lots of plush oak. Reminds me of a young Quilceda Creek.

L’Ecole Cabernet 2015. Lean, tight and minerally. Probably needs 5+ years to open up and hit its stride.

Calluna Cabernet Chalk Hills 2015. This is an austere style, lean and savory, high acid. Hard for me to evaluate, but I’d think if you buried this in the cellar for the medium term it might turn out to be a good classic style cab.

Switchback Merlot 2015. As always, this is playful and yummy in a plump style. Plum and vanilla flavors dominate at this young age.

Fogline Zinfandel 2016 Rockpile Vineyard Rocky Ridge. A standout to me from the event. Great nose, wild berry bushes, fresh crunchy red berries, minerals, spice. I think high 14% alcohol. This finds the perfect space with beautiful fruit but before veering into darker and heavier character.

Fogline Zinfandel 2016 Grist Vineyard. Darker, riper, smoother than the Rocky Ridge. Very good too, but less what I’m looking for than the Rocky Ridge.

Sojourn Cabernet Beckstoffer GIII 2015. This is another very good example of bigger Napa cab done right, with a good balance between dark purple fruit, some green accents, and overall a sense of restraint.

Caterwaul Cabernet 2016 Regusci Vineyard. Intense purple fruit, lots of new oak, chocolate. Smooth textured. Big and showy – will be a hit with fans of the style.
Riverain Cabernet 2016 Tench Vineyard. I think my favorite young Riverain cab thus far, and they’ve all been good. Smooth dark fruit, good ripeness without veering into sweet or heavy, some lift from the bright acids, and some real tannic structure for aging. One for the cellar.

Matthiasson Cabernet 2015 Napa. This was my favorite among the more restrained cabs at the table. Feminine and red fruited, but the fruit isn’t shy. Minerals, spice, and legit tannic structure. Drinks very well now, but promises more ahead.

Big Basin Altitude 2292 2015. A Bordeaux style blend from a high, very cool site in the Santa Cruz Mountains. This stood out in the upstairs section for embracing the pyrazines, and for having the most complex nose. This is old school / old world in style, black fruit, tobacco leaf, bell pepper, menthol, high acids. I enjoyed it, though it’s not for everyone.

Kutch Chardonnay 2017 Trout Gulch. Lime, slate, brine, lean and focused, needs a couple of years. Jamie continues to have a master touch with chardonnay.
Kutch Chardonnay 2017 Sonoma Coast. Very similar to the Trout Gulch at this young age, but maybe a bit simpler? Or maybe just label bias on my part? Very promising wine on its own merits, anyway.

Ladd Chardonnay 2016 Sonoma Coast. Sweet lime, sea shells, would have guessed Chablis if tasted blind. Ladd continues to overdeliver.

Cobb Chardonnay 2016 Mariani Vineyard. Weird as it may sound, I think this was my favorite wine from 2019 Falltacular. Like a great Meursault. Hint of flint and smoke, then pure lemon, earth, white pepper, long acidic finish. Great and should get even better. Seriously one of the best chardonnays I’ve ever had.

Marnet Pinot Noir 2017 Alder Springs. The inaugural vintage of this wine. A new project from a winemaker (didn’t catch his name, very nice guy) who is an assistant to Thomas Brown. Cool cherry fruit, cherry pit, dark spice. There is some oak which lingers a bit, but I don’t think it’s a wine that sees much if any new oak, and it’s probably that it’s only a 2017. Shows very good promise for fans of the style. 13.2% alcohol.

Liquid Farm Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills 2015. From a magnum. Really a tasty, inviting wine. This would be a great low alcohol avant garde California pinot to take to nonbelievers and show them how good it can be, like a gateway drug. Bright red cherry, red apple, orange, orange peel, baking spice. So easy to love.

Rivers Marie Pinot Noir Occidental 2017. Very much in the R-M house style. Ripe cherry, orange cream, orange peel and mineral on the finish. Tasty and sure to improve.

Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Graveyard 2017. This was my favorite from a strong lineup of young 2017s from Kutch, or maybe tied with the Falstaff. Interestingly, everyone I talked to who tried the 2017s liked them but had a different favorite. Which I think speaks to the high quality, yet genuine vineyard / site differences, visible in Kutch’s wines. Tart red cherry, moderate stem notes, fresh herbs, lively acids. Drinks surprisingly well already at such a premature age.

Kutch Pinot Noir MacDougall 2017. High toned and tart red fruit, but the fruit has enough generosity and promises more. Sappy cherry skin and citrus acids. Needs time, I would wait several years to open this one.

Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff 2017. More accessible at this age than the MacDougall for me, though as mentioned above, everyone had a different favorite. This really finds the sweet spot in Jamie’s style. Bright red cherry, herb, juicy orange, orange peel, great acids on the finish.

Ladd Cellars 2015 Zinfandel Avio Vineyard Sierra Foothills. This was a 13.8% zin picked at 23 Brix. I love zin, and I’m not at all against riper and bigger versions of it (at least if the oak is kept moderate in them, like Turley and Carlisle), but I am also really happy to see the range of sites and styles expand, as I think zin is capable of more things than we’ve mostly seen so far. This has wild raspberry and cranberry fruit, a notion of mountain berry bushes, sage, mineral, bright acids. Really a distinctive and excellent wine, promising more with age.

Cobb, L’Ecole, and Grimm’s were standouts for producers with a broad lineup.

The Cobb chard had a LOT of people buzzing…

I’ll have to ping all three of these producers to participate in BerserkerDay IX next year.