Fantastic espresso machine--Le Cube Nespresso

Built in Miele that went over 9,600 shots in 7 years before the heater went t*ts up. New heater 600 bones, but worth just pressing the button in the am.

This made me want to check the computer on my Jura, which I bought about 5 years ago or so, 12525 shots… had to do some work to it a few months ago…which cost about $400… so not terrible…otherwise, I haven’t had any real issues with it…

Wanted to have some fun w/ this math:

Based on 14 grams/double shot, that comes out to roughly 375 lbs of coffee. At at average of just $12 per lb (which is on the low side of high-end coffee), that’s about $4,500 spent on coffee over 5 years ($900/year). But holy shit that’s almost 7 shots/day! Hopefully Scott had some guests over.

The comp here is espresso drinks at retail – which for a shot to a latte is about $2 to $4, so let’s say $2.50 to account for more espresso than milk drinks (Scott isn’t a sissy*). Total retail comp is $31,312 or $6,200/year!

On a per year basis, delta between raw materials and retail comp is $6200 - $900 = $5300.

$5300 is more than enough money to get pretty much the sickest home setup and pay for a lot of milk, cups, upkeep, etc… You can get a very sick setup for under $3,000 easily.

I always knew it was more economic, but that didn’t matter because the joy of making my own espresso and the fact that it’s better than 99.9% of anything I can buy was more than worth it. But wow that’s pretty stark.

\

• Assumed for this model - not independently verified.

Well, you drink a lot more espresso if you are at home than if you have to go out for it every time you want one, even if you live in a high density urban area, but even taking that into account, that still leaves you with a mighty big difference.

I bought a Tassimo last year and it works great for both coffee and espresso. The best coffee pods are Seattle’s Best Henry’s blend and Starbucks Verona. Nice to have a really good cup up coffee with almost zero effort in about 60 seconds after waking up. But I was really surprised about the quality of the Gevalia espresso. While the espresso at best coffee shops in the city like Joe’s, Aroma, Everyman Espresso are better, this is pretty damn close. I have had espresso made for me by friends who have the Keurig and I don’t like it. I don’t like the Keurig coffee either because it is mostly Green Mountain Coffee which I find to be weak and bitter. The cost for the Tassimo works out to about $.50 per cup.

My consumption and costs are quite different from Scott but a year worth of coffee at home more than pays for my espresso setup. I go through about 75 pounds of green coffee a year making four drinks on an average day. I use roughly 19 grams of coffee per double shot, roasted coffee weighs about 20% less than unroasted. Looking at my most recent Sweet Maria’s receipt, my cost for green coffee is $5.25/lb on average. At $2.50/drink I’d spend $3,650/yr on 4 drinks a day, my cost for a year worth of green coffee is just under $400.

I use roughly 19 grams of coffee per double shot, roasted coffee weighs about 20% less than unroasted.[/quote]doesn’t a pound of roasted coffee weigh the same as a pound of unroasted?
alan

Yep. Maybe I should have more coffee before I post. I meant to say a pound of unroasted coffee will yield about 13oz of roasted coffee.

Is that a permanent buzz you maintain? That’s a lot of shots in 5 years.

It is probably more like 6 years and it was at my office for a few of those years… so it was not just me pulling shots…though I do drink a lot of espresso… I like them :slight_smile:

I like’m too. The spousal unit is a tea drinker so I’m on my own. When the heater failed I weighed the replacement cost vs a store bought cup daily. No brainer plus I’m not jonesin’ on the way to the coffe shop.

Anybody have experience with these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/CoffeeDuck-Nespresso-Cups-recargable-/160511490896?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item255f3afb50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otto? I just ordered some.

My dad gave my wife a Lattissima. After using it for a couple of weeks, she gave it back to him. Not close in quality to our 25+ year old Pasquini. As a reformed coffee-roaster, I refuse to drink coffee made from beans more than a couple of weeks old. At most.

So you go pick your own beans and make coffee on the field?

whoops. a couple of weeks after roasting. hate stale roasted beans.

Well. . .that’s the advantages of these little gadgets. You can load them with fresh coffee and use them in the Nespresso rather than the pods. BTW, it is oxygen that makes anything get old. That’s why the pods stay relatively fresh and the Japanese package their high end sushi rice under nitroge.

If you have a Nespresso, don’t bother with the Coffeeducks. . .I got a set of them and they are a real challenge to use. Packing them is VERY critical to their functioning properly. Mine got stuck in the machine and I had to use pliers to pry them out. FWIW, overall I am happy with the Nespresso. I rarely prepare espresso and then it usually only for entertaining or for a quick pick up on Sunday afternoons. For my use, this machine is ideal. I realize that if you are a more frequent drinker, then this machine is not for you.

I’m bringing this back, and eating my words (above), as I’ve now had my Nespresso machine for a couple weeks now, and really love the product that it makes. Even more amazing, however, is that damn Aeroccino frother. With cold fresh milk, it makes PERFECT froth/foam every single time. I usually would do cappuccino maybe once a month with a traditional semi-manual (or automatic with a milk frother wand, which is still manual), but with this setup, I’m having a perfect cup every day.

I couldn’t swing $700 or more to replace the machine my soon-to-be-ex took with her, and have been looking to find a decent semi-automatic or near-manual machine, but gave up on it and took a Nespresso set using some gift cards I had lying around. Don’t regret it at all - very, very pleased.

We just got a Pixie and Aeroccino as a wedding gift. I don’t drink coffee but I wanted to see how it worked so I made a few pods. I have made iced lattes out of the Ristretto (black pod) and some other pod. Ease of use is great, 30 seconds and no work. Flavor (again for a non-coffee drinker) is pretty good. I’m a fan.

Yeah,

We have a Citiz with frother…one at home and one at work.

Even the coffee diehards have (like me) have been converted.

Also, I’m not really supposed to have too much caffeine, and their decaf intenso is the only non-caffeinated coffee I have ever tried that I actually really like…