Fave Champagne stopper?

Le Creuset doesn’t fit Cristal bottles.

New world problems, my $40 stopper doesnt fit on my $250 bottle of champagne! champagne.gif

After letting go of my blind faith in the vacu-vin for still wines a while back, I went back to just re-corking. After breaking a few corks in my opening and re-opening (I lack a delicate touch), I decided to give these silicone stoppers from amazon a try based on this rec. So far so good on the still wines. I like them. Thank you for the tip.

I tend to use this style for both sparklers and still wine.

https://www.rabbitwine.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/400x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/7/27.jpg

nothing works better.jpg

Cheap too, and easily replaceable.

Dan Kravitz

I usually use some plastic wrap and a rubber band. It seems to work.

to Danius Barzdukas:

[welldone.gif] [winner.gif] [notworthy.gif]

Dan Kravitz

[rofl.gif]

Metrokane. Not expensive and works like a champ for several days. Just purchased 2 more of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Champagne-Stopper-MiTBA-Sparkling-Built/dp/B074P23NVX

Not this exact one but I have ones just like it.

You’re pumping air in but the pressure keeps it bubbly and the CO2 itself seems to help self preserve the champagne…or that’s what I think it happening…It works surprisingly well over quite a number of days…

The seal is great, pumping air into the bottle makes essentially no difference. Pumping CO2 would make a difference, but air is only 0.04% CO2. The dissolved CO2 and the CO2 in the headspace achieve equilibrium independent of the other gases.

-Al

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZ8RGS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A285BA4HND8LKT&psc=1

By the way, my recommendation is serious. I’ve used them for decades. So much better to have the stopper inside the bottle than on top. They may not work with all shapes of Champagne bottles, but if these cheap soda stoppers fit yours, your Champagne will retain fizz for a week or more.

Dan Kravitz

We bought a bag of 100 of these for pennies on the piece and have one or two in every purse, wine tote and back pack, plus spread around the kitchen and a full box in the cellar. But I don’t generally use them for champagne. Thanks, Dan - will have to try it.

This. I was sick of hearing the old wives tale about sticking the end of the spoon keeping it fresh overnight so I did a test. All half empty, all left in fridge overnight: 1) open bottle 2) end of spoon in bottle 3) resealed bottle with bottle cap. There was no difference. My theory is that there’s enough space in a half empty bottle that there won’t be enough pressure to keep any extra CO2 in suspension. I think you’d have to pump CO2 in, pressurize and reseal or else use one of those balloons that fills the empty space in order for it to matter at all.

Most Champagne has 4 to 6 atmospheres of dissolved CO2. If pour half then reseal with a stopper, at worst it would reduce to 2 to 3 atmospheres. The simple act of putting it in a cold refrigerator makes a big difference because CO2 is more soluble at colder temperatures.

-Al

I like that they’re non-porous and easy to clean with no moving parts. They’ve lasted for a few years with no signs of degradation or wear.

Cheers!

I use WAF CHAMPAGNE STOPPER (MADE IN ITALY) - got the as samples at a Mionetto wind dinner. Works every time.

Toward the end of the 1980s, Walter Fortunato designed and built the stopper sealing system that made WAF famous around the world. The Block WAF System still represents the most ingenious invention for the preservation over time of the precious characteristics of sparkling wines just uncorked.

Carbon dioxide released from the sparkling wine enters the elastic seal through the hole below. As the pressure increases, the seal expands against the glass wall creating a state of overpressure inside. As a result of this pressure, the external fixing bracket has been designed to counter the vertical thrust acting on the stopper, therefore guaranteeing its seal. Tested up to 6 atmospheres (88 psi).

champagne.gif champagne.gif

I agree on the waf stopper. I saw a number of producers using the same in champagne when I visited back when travel was allowed…