FEDEX shipping issues, yet again

Today I find out that a box of two bottles from WTSO has been traveling throught the FEDEX system since 3/4. The tracking says ‘Business not opened’ at 2:11 and such for each day. WOW.
I am on hold right now with the terminal. They called me at 6:15 this morning to ask the hours of operation and I responded 8-4. The lady said the box will be here EARLY. WOW.

Date/Time Activity Location

• 3/15/2013 - Friday
    8:05 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
  • 3/14/2013 - Thursday
    6:27 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    Awaiting additional delivery information from recipient
    4:10 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    3:35 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
  • 3/13/2013 - Wednesday
    2:08 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    Customer not available or business closed
    4:16 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    3:35 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
  • 3/12/2013 - Tuesday
    4:05 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    5:10 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    3:53 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
  • 3/11/2013 - Monday
    4:08 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
  • 3/09/2013 - Saturday
    3:36 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    Scheduled for delivery next business day
    3:06 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
  • 3/08/2013 - Friday
    5:07 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    Local delivery restriction - Delivery not attempted
    4:10 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    3:47 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
  • 3/07/2013 - Thursday
    3:51 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    3:51 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    Local weather delay - Delivery not attempted
    4:23 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    3:54 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
  • 3/06/2013 - Wednesday
    6:56 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    4:26 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    4:18 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
  • 3/05/2013 - Tuesday
    5:53 pm Delivery exception MASPETH, NY
    No attempt made, delivery scheduled for next business day
    6:44 am Arrived at FedEx location MASPETH, NY
    6:44 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY
    6:35 am At local FedEx facility MASPETH, NY
    3:01 am Departed FedEx location KEASBEY, NJ
  • 3/04/2013 - Monday
    11:54 pm Arrived at FedEx location KEASBEY, NJ
    10:44 pm Left FedEx origin facility BARRINGTON, NJ
    8:54 pm Arrived at FedEx location BARRINGTON, NJ
    7:24 pm Picked up BARRINGTON, NJ
  • 3/03/2013 - Sunday
    7:28 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

This. There’s one 1.8 miles open M-F and one 2.4 miles seven days a week. If I think there’s any chance the delivery might be attempted while I’m not in, I just redirect to HAL and go get it at my convenience. Occasionally it will result in one extra day. FedEx is REALLY good with this service and it is no additional charge. I think w/UPS you have to pay an annual fee of around $40…

I use this as there’s a FEDEX/Kinko’s less than 3 blocks from my house. Beats waiting around for days on end! Will wait if shipment is a case or more, as I work from home 3 days a week.

Last FedEx wine shipment I got I had to go pick it up at a Kinko’s to pick up the package. I asked why it wasn’t delivered and they told me that there was no one at my workplace of age to sign for it. I have never NOT had someone 21 working there, probably, ever. I told them I know there was someone there 21 all day long to sign for the package. The guy just shrugged his shoulders and said, “oh”.

I used to think that UPS was easily the worst but I’d now elevate Fed Ex to that status. I’m not familiar with overnight delivery, nor business ones, but their tracking info always has a caveat; the time and day are “approximate” delivery times.

GSO is far worse than FE or Brown

Agreed. I refuse to use GSO any longer.

Andrew I have my UPS shipments sent to the Customer Center, Never a problem.

That is true – you can do that (and I did last night). Unfortunately for me, the customer center in DC is 40 mins away, whereas there are several FedEx stores <10 mins away. Sending to a UPS store, as opposed to a customer center–which tend to be big warehouses on the edge of town–is not possible with wine.

All in all between shipping issues last fall and now this spring I’m going to severally cut back on having wine mailed. I only bought from 4 wineries this winter and I’ll cut back further for the next go around. There are so many great wine stores with 5 miles of where I live that it seems ridiculous to have to worry about shipping.

So true here also, and several will source about any wine if requested. Any others I do not really need anyway. [snort.gif]

While I have not had UPS send wine to a UPS store (though I have held shipments at their facility in Lanham and in Columbia), I was told very clearly I could have wine shipments sent to a local UPS store. There would be a fee of $5 for this service, I was told.

I live in DC. If you are in Maryland, the shipping laws are more strict, I believe.

In DC. Who knows - we seem to have been told different things, which is hardly surprising for UPS!

Yea, not surprising!

I had an issue with shipping to my warehouse address, so used a UPS Store near my home. I now can receive at the warehouse, but a shipment was sent to the UPS Store with out a tracking number or phone number to call me. I did not know it had arrived until checking my cc and saw a charge for the wine and called the winery. It was probably the wineries fault for not issuing a tracking # or adding the phone# to the label. [snort.gif]

FedEx is 100% worthless. Had a package expected today (final delivery attempt) - our babysitter was here all afternoon. No doorbell, no knock, yet a door tag mysteriously shows up. She was shocked that someone was even at the front door and she didn’t hear them. It’s snowing here, so my guess is that the driver didn’t want to carry the heavy package through the snow so just left the door tag.

I have NEVER had a problem w UPS yet it seems that I always, always have issues of some sort w FedEx. Avoid them at all costs.

I’d love to hear what bad experiences you’ve had. Compared to FedEx and UPS, their service is outstanding IMO. Anything within CA I always go GSO and Ive never had a single problem.

When my contact # is on the package, a customer service rep calls if a missed delivery attempt occurs.
Package shipped on a Friday by accident, customer service lets me pick it up at the local hub early on Friday night. Packages are always delivered before noon in my area.
Cheapest shipping rates within CA and overnight service.
Driver attempts 2nd delivery same day in most cases.

This thead shows it’s all about the driver. Doesn’t matter if UPS, FedEx, or GSO. If you have a good driver you get good service. Bad driver, bad service. 90% of the time it’s UPS for me. Have had great drivers, some bad. If you have the same driver, get to know them and make a friend. Has worked for me.

The problem is…I’m never home when delivery is attempted. With FedEx and UPS I can have the box held at a local store and not the warehouse way the hell out in nowhere. I have FedEx and UPS stores within a mile of the house. Additionally, GSO could also never figure out that I had a gate code to my community even though I always gave it to them and called the morning of to give it to them again.

I agree completely, the driver makes all the difference. And holding a package at the nearest Fedex office eliminates the possibility of having a bad driver. Fedex started doing this for no charge about a year ago. UPS recently started letting customers hold packages at a UPS store for either a $5 fee each package, or I believe $40 a year to hold all packages at a UPS store. So being a cheap bastard, I feel Fedex wins this one. UPS should really step up and offer the same service for no charge. Of course, since most UPS stores are franchises, they probably can’t.