First decent wine glass

Nobody “plans” on getting into super expensive wines. It just happens! :slight_smile:

Down the road, you might end up with one set of glasses for red and another for white. That has worked well for me (Grassl Cru and Grassl Liberte).

The Gabriel StandArt was our first decent wine glass. We are now a Grassl and Glasvin house. The Grassl 1855 is my go to glass since I drink mostly reds.

Yeah, I know, hence the quotes.champagne.gif So I got the GG’s yesterday and while they are very nice, they are a bit smaller than I would like, I drink mostly reds. How much bigger are the 1855 or Cru?

How much bigger is the 1855?

1 Like

How much bigger is the 1855?

Height is similar, bowl is much larger, but that’s not the objective (volume)
The 1855 is designed to help capture aromatics from Bordeaux while restraining the alcohol.

I’m the importer for the Grassl brand in N. America. Our Elemental line is a closer comparison to the GG Standart.

www.grasslglass.com

Chris is the best. I do not have a frame of reference to GG as I only own Grassl, but lots of folks own both. There are several glassware threads in the Wine Talk forum on this board.

While I primarily use Cru and Liberte, I do own the 1855. It is bigger and has a deeper bowl than the Cru. I like it with Bordeaux wines, as well as most Italian reds. Since the glass is shaped differently, it dumps the wine onto a different part of my palate. I should add that I don’t drink many big reds (e.g. California Cab). The 1855 would probably be great for them.

Hi Chris,

I have read many of your posts and have been all over your site. I have learned much from this site and yours. When you say much larger are you talking 30%, 50%, more? What about the Cru, it looks like it’s maybe even bigger/wider than the 1855?

Yes after looking again I see the Cru is smaller than the 1855. That might be the one.

0BEC7C6D-5EA7-4D39-9170-BAF552CEE276.jpeg
Left to right

1855-Cru-Gabriel Gold-Liberté-Versatile

2 Likes

This is one of the many reasons why Chris is the best and the Grassl Glass is even better! I have not tried the Versatile and I need to change that soon!

Wow, this is awesome! This is absolutely what I needed to see. Currently we drink mostly Cali Cab’s and Cali and Oregon Pinot’s, would you recommend the 1855?

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Cabernet 1855 & Liberté
Pinot Cru

And you are very welcome.

Look, none of the glasses mentioned above are remotely ‘bad’. It’s along the lines of comparing a BMW to an Audi to a Mercedes.

Update site looks nice. The VR is pretty cool.

1 Like

I get it and that’s a good comparison. Looks like the Liberte is very similar and a little bigger than the GG. Would that be a decent universal glass to use?

Pat, yes, the Liberté is a direct competitor with the ZU and the GGG…

Plenty of great recommendations here, I was just coming on to comment how odd it was that we’ve come full circle with regards to stemware. 15 years ago or so, the rage was ‘a stem for every varietal’, and everybody championed all the various styles they had, which was obviously led by Riedel’s campaign, pushing the snot out of so many options. Now the push is for universal (which I now abide by as well)

I think we’ve gone past the push for universal stems (although there’s still plenty of people still buying universal stems) and are starting to see a renewed push into varietal stems. From the Grassl lineup to Zalto’s and even new players like Glassvin, all are making a push for varietal specific stemware.

I’ve been reading about your glasses and customer service on these forums and am looking forward to trying out Grassl soon! Any recommendations between the 1855 and Liberté (or something else entirely) for zin/zin blends?

Mike
Great question with a not so great answer.
I feel like a college Econ professor; ‘it depends.’
This is a grape where I generally try all three glasses; Cru, Liberté, and the 1855, and let my decision flow from there.

Zin can be rich, high in alcohol or, if aged, delicate and fruity without heat.

70% of the time, Liberté wins
20% the 1855 followed by the Cru

Not trying to push more stems on you, but this is a grape with expansive personality.

Are you aware you can ‘Get a pair.’…of glasses for free by signing up for Matthew Goldman’s Grand Reserve Rewards card? He has a link Todd put up as Matthew is doing some specials for WB folks.

You’ll also be able to get 12 free glasses with your signup points after you spend $3,000.00. That is 14 glasses. Gratis.

1 Like

+1 for the GabrielGlas recommendation- I have both the StandArt and Gold Edition (mouth-blown) versions. The StandArt is perfect for everyday use and as a bonus, my wife is not afraid to use them, which cannot be said for the Gold Edition. The Golds are absolutely amazing to use but feel incredibly delicate (part of the allure, I suppose), and thus are only taken out for very special bottles.