First decent wine glass

Sophienwald glasses are my favorite. They are fantastic!

In reading through the above thread, it seems like there are those who would recommend a number of different brands. Between the main recommendations (Zalto, Gabriel Glas, Grassl, Glasvin, The perfect Glass) does anyone know if any are less breakable? Or are they all pretty much the same in terms of durability? It would be great if the Grassl elemental came in a true red and white glass, as it seems like those are marketed as being more durable?

Wine enthusiast makes a fusion glass that’s supposed to be less breakable.

The Schott Zwiesel Tritan Pure is definitely more durable and I would say overall a good glass. It’s not on the same level as the glasses listed above. We tend to pull them if we’re outside or have large groups over. Overall we use our Zaltos the majority of the time, but if your looking for durability Zwiesel is good. You can also find the Zwiesel’s on sale for around $7/stem.

1 Like

for years I used this line: Guarantee - Tableware - Bormioli Luigi

I am now using Grassl which is a big step up for sure and honestly in 2 years no issues with the 8 Grassl I own. We put them in the dishwasher and its been really easy. They are weighted well with a nice base and do not tip.

That said those that I link to above - you can literally push the glass rim in a bit and it flexes and does not bend. Its not super high quality to impress people but they are very durable, not thick like restaurant glasses so they have a nicer feel, dishwasher safe and you can get them at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon. I cannot compare them to some of the others listed here but at least you can go touch/feel them at a local store. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/luigi-bormioli-crescendo-son-hyx-bordeaux-wine-glasses-set-of-4/1016461350?keyword=bormioli+bordeaux

Purchased 12 of each (2 red, 1 white - 36 total - didnt get champagne ones) about a decade ago, not 1 issue with casual drinking, parties, etc.

1 Like

I enjoy SZ glasses. Their wide opening makes a lot of meh wines taste a lot better. If I use my Gabriel Glas it’ll make the wine taste worse somehow.

Yeah, I have som SZ glasses now. I am more just wondering if anyone has a strong opinion that some mouthblown/high end wine glasses are substantially more or less durable than others. I totally get that Zaltos, etc., are fragile. I am just wondering if, for example, anyone has experience where Zaltos break all the time but Grassls don’t, or something similar.

Mouthblown has to do with the lightness imo. I don’t find them to be any more/less strong than machine made glasses. Zaltos though if you’ve seen you can bend the rim quite a bit if you grip the glass. I think lighter glasses are nicer to hold, but much easier to tip over and break if you have been drinking.

I use a dishwasher for my hand blown grassel stems, and never had one break in the dishwasher. Key is to make sure nothing else in the dishwasher is touching the glass.

1 Like

Another vote for Grassl. For a universal glass the Liberté (28€ here in Lisbon) is excellent and a wonderful value.