first go with the new Grassls...

I have bought and repurchased. Started with the 1855 and added the cru. We absolutely love them. So light and graceful and really showcases the wine. We had some Riedel on the patio this weekend and they felt like 5 pounds each. Night and day.

I also love the decanters. Light and the little base on the bottom is really smart.

I am not very graceful and have 2 kids and 3 dogs and we have broke one glass and And wouldn’t you know… as I was decanting… the neck of the bottle i accidentally had inside the decanted… and cracked one. Totally my fault… .So there is a fragility to them - but Chris is amazing to deal with if that happens… even when he shouldn’t or doesn’t need to be.

Plus - Chris is a long long time member here… so like supporting folks that make this board what it is.

I’ve broken one glass in a year+ that was 100% my fault. Didn’t contact Chris.

Has anyone tried the Grassl Champagne stems?

-Al

Thanks, Chris. I have been hand-washing with dish soap, then air drying. I know some put in dishwasher with success, but our domestic situation doesn’t really lend itself to that.

Would love to see a picture of the brush you mentioned.

Keep up the good work! When we emerge from this I’m gonna buy some Cru as well!

k

Brush I like best so far…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I6UGR3O/ref=twister_B01MTY6Y9Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Al, champagne glass is not the vigneron line. It is a 6 pack format, still handblown, but heavier as it has more glass for the rigors of the tasting room/restaurant world. Remember, 100% guarantee. If you don’t like them, i’ll buy them back.

Been using 1855, Cru and Liberte almost every day for a year plus. No breaks, even after a few “bottle contacts” that made me wince. One came broken in the old shipping box, Chris replaced no problem (he now uses tubes that are much better). Great product, great service.

I hand wash. Durability has been fine for me. I’ve been happy with this brush.

https://www.amazon.com/FryOilSaver-B61C-Stemware-Cleaning-Scratch/dp/B082LMRF35/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=glass+brush&qid=1589456898&s=home-garden&sr=1-11

My experience same as others. No issues with breaks except one that was 100% my fault (dropped glass). Didn’t contact Chris for that. Surprised some have requested replacement for breaks they have suggested were not within everyday use/care.

Air drying doesn’t seem to work if your complaint is water spots. I supposed if you used distilled water or have filtered water you would be ok.
See the glass polishing vid on Aldo Sohm’s site https://www.aldosohm.com/videos
I use that technique to dry glasses after hand washing. I use a larger kitchen towel from WS. You need to be attentive, broken glasses happen when you’re somewhat distracted. The bowl and stem should never be twisted, you’ll ring their necks (Admittedly an obvious point).
This technique is best used the following morning. We machine wash our Crus but have low dishwasher loads.

Thanks, Tom. I do use filtered water. Will check out the brushes featured above.

Been enjoying Grassl stems for the last few months, and have to say they are spectacular. We’ve especially enjoyed the Liberté stems with champagne and village or lower-level white burgundy as the really help focus the wines. As others have mentioned, Chris’ customer service is A+. Very glad we were introduced to them here.

I absoultey love my Grassl glasses. Bought Crus and Liberte. Then bought more because both the quality and overall experience is excellent.

Wait til you start trying the same wine in different Grassl glasses. I tasted a 2013 Sandler Boer Vineyard Pinot in both the Grassl Cru and 1855, and frankly did not care for it. Then I tried it in the Liberte’ and voila! The wine was much improved; it traded a bit of depth for youthfulness, which my palate appreciated.

In the same camp here - using the grassl stems every day. We save the crappy heavy lead crystal waterford glasses for special occassions! I absolutely LOVE the decanter. So easy to hold, the base makes it easy to get a solid grip on them. And we wash the glasses in the dishwasher every time and have had zero issues.

After using Zaltos and GGGs for several years, I’ve decided to order 1855s (4) and Liberte (6) to replace the other glasses as they are used/break/etc., I am excited to try them out soon! I primarily drink California Cabernet/Zins (Napa: Quivet, Myriad, Scarlett, Carter, Becklyn, DiCostanzo, Sonoma: Bedrock, Carlisle, A. Rafanelli), and some rose and random whites.

Thanks for the thread, and Chris from CJF on the recommendations!

I’ve been wondering what the main difference is between the Tasting and the other glasses, especially the Liberté, other than the Tasting seems a little smaller in height and a couple other dimensions. At $20 per stem, the Tasting seems like a steal. Are the other glasses really worth 2.5x the price of the Tasting?

For comparison, we use 3 different Riedel stems now (Burg, Bdx and one for whites) and are wondering if we should upgrade.

Tasting is noticeably sturdier. I prefer the other glasses by a notable margin, but Tasting, as I mentioned, is great for toting around.

The Tasting glass was designed primarily for use in winery tasting rooms. In addition to being sturdier for commercial use, the bottom of the bowl is slightly flatter. This helps to enhance the aromatics from shorter pours.

N.B. I sell Grassl but not the Tasting glass

I’ve been looking for some new white wine glasses, specifically for rieslings and moderately aged chardonnays. I’ve been doing the one wine/multiple glass taste tests on my assortment of glasses and while I’m not a full Riedel “glass for each sub varietal” convert, I know I’m missing some opportunities here. My existing Zwiesel white glasses are just too small and my nice Riedels are great for red Burg/Bord (somm series), but are comically large.

Sounds like some like the Grassl Cru for aged chards?
What about Sauternes or Mosel/Alsace Rieslings?

Thanks.

The tasting glasses are great for $20, but IMO they really aren’t in the same league as the other Grassl stems. Perfect for less formal tastings, or for when you’re in a situation where the risk of breakage is higher. I bought a 6 pack of the tasting glasses last week and had them shipped to the OBX beach house for vacation…did some 3 bottle Vinous virtual tastings, and I am very happy with them. I’ve bought most of my regular Grassl (1855, Liberte, Cru) during the berserker day sales, usually around $35 - $40 if memory serves. Chris has another retailer selling them now at a discount, $43 per stem. https://vdltwine.com/

I didn’t think it would come to this, but I now prefer my 1855 over the zalto BDX. The bowl is taller and the stem a little shorter, which makes the 1855 feel closer to balanced, especially with a small pour, whereas the zalto edges toward being top heavy. Add in the cost factor, dishwasher safe, replacement policy, and its a pretty clear win. Napa reds such as you mention perform very well in it - hope you enjoy.