Fried eggs

No. Not a sweet-foods person.

My usual breakfast is a fried egg with bacon.

My favorite way to fry an egg is to cut a circle out of a piece of bread and fry the egg in that hole. I’m sure there’s a name for it.

Toad in the hole is the name.

I always thought Toad In The Hole was sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding batter.

Is the fried bread served with the egg, or discarded?

I still haven’t seen any comment about the apparent orthodoxy in professional chef circles of fried eggs not having any bubbles or crispy bits in the white and if they do it’s ‘incorrect temperature’. Obviously the incorrect versions are pretty popular.

That’s what my mom called it but I think the real version of that involves copious amounts of sausage.

As to the original question, “fried egg” means a whole bunch of things so I think it’s open to interpretation. The fact that you have to specify how you want yours done implies that.

Mystery solved…

Yes, and batter, not bread.

If going that route I use a second pan and run the bacon fat through a fine sieve.
NB essential to use proper bacon not the ersatz supermarket stuff.

Never fried - poached, boiled or scrambled.

But just today my son mentioned this approach in a post … he assures me he does not own or ever plan to own it however:

Why?

As someone who lives in Yorkshire, you are correct, toad in the hole includes Yorkshire Pudding.

Despite being as British as the individuals in the OP however, I like my eggs without crispy brown bits. You should however be able to shatter bacon.

I am late to this party, but I remember in 1977 when we were driving around Southern England, we stayed at a B&B in Dover. For breakfast, they had a giant iron fry pan with about an inch of bacon grease melted in it. You could have one kind of egg, which was cooked by cracking the egg directly into the fry pan. If you wanted in over hard, the would just flip it in the grease when the edges started to brown. Over easy? What’s that, they would have said.

Jay - I hope hope that wasn’t too traumatic for you :grinning:

It occurs to me a poll might be fun. Can I add one into this thread or does that mean starting a new one?

Not at all. I like it over hard. I do not like runny yolks. neener

One of the downsides of WFH, no bodega breakfasts. This morning though… eggs over… jammy yolks, ham and cheese on a roll. Salt and pepper… ketchup is a sin

1 Like

WFH breakfast is Vietnamese-styled coffee, and homemade sourdough toast with jam simmered from frozen summer fruit.

My point exactly… most days I have oatmeal or yogurt and fruit or other wholesome stuff. Yesterday I made myself a proper greasy breakfast. Made myself good pour over though. Don’t miss S’bucks or other shyte coffee.

Waiting for this bird to lay eggs on our roof garden.

1 Like

I eat fried eggs probably 5 out of 7 days of the week. Sunny side up (mirando al sol) and lightly cooked for me. It isn’t breakfast without eggs.