Gary Vaynerchuk retires

I’d have to disagree with you there. I’ve met many a wine geek that are a part of the WLTV community. Myself included. Although I haven’t watched every episode, I have seen enough to ‘confess’ to watching.

Chaad, I know that not all shows were for you (hey, they weren’t for me either!), but I know for a fact that this statement isn’t entirely accurate. You’d be shocked who was watching WLTV. Big shot somms, MWs, wine writers (including Parker, who doesn’t confess), but where you are right, is that some may not have “confessed”, but they watched, and some of them, a whole bunch. Shows like the ones with Jancis Robinson, Kermit Lynch, Raj Parr and Harry Karis drew in a lot of new people, and got many of them to stick around for a long time.

Really? The site mentions new show coming after Labor Day.

Well
Shtick and yelling aside,
You have to appreciate Gary
and wish him well, wherever he
winds up in the Wine/Social media.
He deserves thanks for being an original
and a motivator in the wine world. [cheers.gif]

Cheers
Riip

I have great respect for Gary and what he has accomplished, and I bet he would be a blast to drink with, but I found his videos unwatchable. Like most of cable tv. It was the aussie shiraz of wine-web-content. WAY over the top. I really enjoy (enjoyed?) his spots on Scott Simon’s Saturday Weekend Edition shows, because he was forced by context to dial it back 50%.

I wish him the best of luck.

I thought his episode of matching wine to his favorite cereals was a classic. Made me to go out and buy a box of Captain Crunch for my personal pleasure! I’ve emulated his refreshing casual approach towards wine may times with friends and peers. I’m sure this won’t be the last time we hear from Gary V and look forward to his future endeavours.

Oh please. There wasn’t anything like hating going on over there (have you actually looked?) A few people said they found his act annoying. Is that an impermissible opinion? I didn’t see any posts criticizing him personally.

I “confess” to watching Wine Library TV - although somewhat selectively. The interviews with Kermit Lynch, Jancis Robinson, and a few others were terrific. As for the schtick, not my thing, but I admire Gary for marching to the beat of his own drummer. I think he’s a hardworking, sincere, guy and wish him continued success.

I like the blind tasting of White Zin. Have a link to the cereal episode?

I have met more great wine people because of GV than I can count. Love him or hate him, he brought a ton of people together.
I, for one, was already missing WLTV and will miss the episodes with guests the most.

I found WLTV in November 2010 and found it fascinating and refreshing from the usual boring wine tasting videos that I have seen. I liked his in your face style I found it to be a lot of fun. I think he inspired many new and young wine drinkers, not to mention he got me to try many varietals I might have never tried. I wish him well. [cheers.gif]

Scott - And did he get you to call varieties varietals too!? :wink:

[rofl.gif]

Yes i have changed.

I have had the pleasure of not only having dinner and drinking high end seerious wine with Gary but also tailgating with him, his brother and a bunch of his friends at a Jets game when they stopped by our tailgate a few years ago. He is passionate about wine, substantially more passionate about the Jets (I know that’s hard to believe) and all around nice generous guy. He shows up at the tailgate with a mag of Fontalloro, a bottle of D’Alesme Becker, and a bunch of other fun things and then insists on playin Jets trivia games. The schtick is funny bvut eductaional as well. I know a lot of people who have learnt a lot about wine by watching WLTV and it’s too bad that it’s going going gone.

Sniffy sniff…

While I haven’t watched every single episode, I enjoyed many of Gary’s Wine Library videos on YouTube. Say what you want about his style, but the man definitely has great knowledge and passion for and about wine. When he got to the actual wine tasting, he was extremely informative and educational.

I also found that he did quite a lot to remove the stereotype of the elite wine snob and helped open up the world of wine to a younger generation. Good luck to him in whatever he does.

Wow. You hung out with him and still feel Gary V’s persona is a schtick? That just reinforces my thought that what we see is the real McCoy. If he’s always in character, well…you gotta wonder.

I have hung out with him on 3 occasions, just one on one. The persona is a schtick. He is far, FAR more lowkey.

There is some schtick aspect with the “sniffy sniff” and stuff like that. Put the guy in front of 100 people and his energy level goes through the roof – it’s nearly supernatural. I had the opportunity to taste with him and his wife for a weekend in Napa about four years ago. Gary is a super nice guy, genuinely cares about people and is really passionate about a lot of stuff. Talking with him about politics is a very interesting endeavor. I can thank him for the closest I’ll get to 15 minutes of fame…
http://tv.winelibrary.com/2009/05/22/tasting-with-a-long-time-vayniac-episode-681/

Does anyone else think that Gary and John Mayer look a bit alike?