Gary Vaynerchuk retires

" Are you getting radishes?"
" No."

[rofl.gif]

2 years and 70 pounds ago. I’d have to say you may have been the best Vayniac guest ever… Even without the shout-out… [wink.gif]

I watched a total of 1 show. But then again I listen to you live all the time. A guy can only take so much. neener

Is Gary a Type A personality without the schtick? Yes. So am I. But when he is not doing WLTV or tailgating at a Jets game, he’s as normal as any other Type A personality. Reading this thread makes it clear that those who have spent time with him on a personal level think he’s a good guy and those who haven’t may not think so. I think I will rely on those who have.

AND, by the way, he was going to come to BF 2.5 in my back yard, which about 60 of you attended, but he had to cancel because it conflicted with his grandmother’s 90th Birthday Party. I advised him that the birthday party was more important and gave him a pass.

It was episode #734. If you google “wine and cereal” it will pop up.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Just so you know, I never stated, suggested, or insinuated that Gary is not a good guy.

His schtick annoys me, but that’s not a judgement on his character.

Chaad, your communication style is pretty brittle. You were quick to ask “you gotta wonder” based on someone describing how Gary appeared larger than life at a tailgate. You were insinuating SOMETHING that was less than pleasant.

I’m not captain GaryV defender, but how does one not think that you are putting him in a negative light with this kind of statement:

Wow. You hung out with him and still feel Gary V’s persona is a schtick? That just reinforces my thought that what we see is the real McCoy. > If he’s always in character, well…you gotta wonder> .

especially that part

Keith, EXACTLY.

I could only handle him in doses, and some of the calling cards (i.e., sniffy sniff) grated a bit. Anyway, on occasions when I’ve had the wines he tasted, he often nailed it, if you read/listen to the note, don’t think about any one descriptor too much, and let the totality of it sink in.

As a side note, where did the “Gary V. ate my baby” thing come from, and why?

You completely misread me. My point was that his persona did not seem to be a schtick, a contrivance, or a put-on, but rather as I said the “real McCoy,” which is itself a phrase usually used in the affirmative, to mean genuine, another word that normal people think has positive connotations.

Brittle? I don’t what what you’re trying to say, but you definitely didn’t comprehend what I was saying. Lemme clarify for you…

Jay said GV had a schtick, which surprised me, because I always felt GV was genuine on the show, that is to say, I thought his personality came through. For him to be “on” at that tailgate and still have it called a schtick makes one wonder if it is a schtick, which is generally defined as an act or a gimmick, and something phony or insincere, at that.

The way I was thinking, I was standing up for GVs sincerity, but if you guys like him more for his schtick, that’s fine by me.

Friable enough for you?

Very interesting to watch this talk from Gary: http://www.ted.com/talks/gary_vaynerchuk_do_what_you_love_no_excuses.html

That is Gary in his zone.

It is genuine schtick. [cheers.gif]

Pardon my “Breakfast at Tiffany’'s” reference. flirtysmile

I like Gary, even after meeting him [cheers.gif] , but these types of talks drive me insane. If someone has to tell you that you should be pursuing your passion, or doing ‘your best work’, a la Tony Robbins, there is no hope that those things will actually happen…

-1 . I do not care for his style, nor the inherent conflict of interest. Admittedly, I did enjoy some of the segs that I watched even wth the blather, but I will not miss him at all in the big picture.

That is very annoying. What a load of salesmanship bs. I hope there’s no middle class worker out there who doesn’t like his job, but it feeds his family, who goes off to ‘follow his dream’ because someone like GV starts spewing there’s no reason in 2008 to do something you hate. While sad, there is something noble about a person who keeps plugging along because he/she knows it’s the best/safest thing to do for their family. It’s much easier for GV to leave a multi-million dollar business than it is for a guy living paycheck to paycheck making $35K with dependents. He may believe his own schtick, but it’s not universally applicable (or even to the majority). I couldn’t watch past about 3 minutes.

Chris

No question about Gary’s energy, drive, ego, success and confidence. It’s served him very well in making a real impact in the world of wine. That said, I pretty much agree with you Chris. I also couldn’t get much past about 3 minutes. Tiring to watch. Completely agree about the nobility of workers (not forgetting housewives and househusbands!) who sacrifice their personal aspirations or self-aggrandizement for the good of their family, community, etc.

RT

Who’s Gary Vaynerchuk?

I couldn’t agree more. To me the real heros are the ones working two or three grinding jobs to provide a better life for their family … not the self centered dilettantes and narcissists who drop everything to “follow their dreams.”

For a fortunate few the dream chasing is possible, constructive and life, even society altering … for the majority, advice like that is simply cruel.