General thoughts on Dehlinger Winery?

Awesome man, thanks for the feedback! Think I’ll snag a couple and give em a try!

Thanks again!

Does anyone know what wines are in this offering?

The ordering window hasn’t come yet, so I’m not sure. The email said they’ll be releasing six wines this go-around.

BTW, tasted a '13 “Goldridge” Pinot last night. Still young, but the aromatics were brilliant (which they tend to be with this wine).

Long time fan - wines are made in a ripe style (generally), but very well done in that context. I had the 2014 PN RRV the other night (the ‘equinox’ bottling, which includes non-estate fruit @$30) and it was really, really nice - very complex, ripe fruit flavors (cherry, black raspberry), framed by super-vibrant acidity.

Anyway, looks like the newsletter is up:

2013 Chardonnay $40
2014 Pinot Noir Goldridge $52
2013 Cabernet $55
2013 Syrah Altamont $48
2013 Pinot Noir High Plains $70
2014 Pinot Noir Renatus $52 (“from recently replanted vineyard blocks”)

I’ve been buying off the list since the 1992 vintage, so probably longer than most here. (I still have the superlative 1994 Reserve pinot, which may have been their high-water mark.) For most of that stretch the wines were super QPR, especially when there was little competition. Prices have adjusted upward to what I see as fair, but hardly buy-by-the-case levels.

They remain outstanding in their allocation and customer service practices. Their newsletter reflects a degree of experience and calm, old school (screw-the-trends) wisdom which very few wineries can approach. The style has GRADUALLY evolved to greater ripeness, but far from extreme among their peers. I think Chris S. gave an accurate appraisal above.

Bottom line, do try them. If you like the wines you may be with them for a long time – I doubt their list has much churn.

As far as zin and petite, we just drank their 2011 blend, which struck me as excellent for the vintage and price. Zin was among my first tastes of Dehlinger, and I’m glad to see it return.

All wines are estate bottling except Zinfandel. I’ve been buying from Dehlinger all the way back to the 1985 vintage. True enough, prices have risen but they are now at what you might pay for any premium Pinot, for example. I agree that the Claret and Cabernet are, for the most part, hidden joys. I can’t say that I’ve been disturbed by any increase in ripeness. After all they still don’t IMO match what Kosta Browne has become. Remarkably consistent wines and the Fall Open House is excellent in every way.

Offerings:

Current Wine Bottle Price
2013 Estate Chardonnay $40.00
2013 Altamont Syrah $48.00
2014 Renatus Pinot Noir $52.00
2014 Goldridge Pinot Noir $52.00
2013 Cabernet Sauvignon $55.00
2013 High Plains Pinot Noir $70.00

Limited Quantity Wine Bottle Price
2014 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir $30.00
2010 Goldridge Syrah $55.00

1 Like

I decided to dip my toe in just a little this time around, being a first-timer (there is a 4-bottle minimum):

2 x Goldridge Pinot Noir
1 x High Plains Pinot Noir
1 x Cabernet Sauvignon

The cab is reputed (Galloni) to be “stunning.”

I came for the Pinot Noir when I signed up but found myself loving the Cab, Claret, Syrah and have enjoyed (but never purchased) the Chardonnay. The Zinfandel was not a stand out for me yet but I’ll have to give them some time again. I don’t see the over ripeness in some of the new bottlings but I don’t have the drinking history with them to make that call. I wouldn’t confuse them with a Kosta Browne, but maybe others see that more. I always kick myself for only being able to afford a few bottles usually 4-5 but I try to pick some up at the open house which is a great way to try something then buy it. Often the Cab and the Pinot can sell out during release. Echoing what others have said, you can find some of the older vintages elsewhere at reasonable prices, great idea to see how they age. Cheers!

Though I haven’t been on the list as long as Jeff, I have been on it since 1995. I think Jeff and Chris S’s synopsis will give anyone looking for info on Dehlinger much of what they need.

I first came to the list for the Pinots and the Chardonnay, and the Pinots from the early 90’s (the '94 Reserve as Jeff said was a highlight) through '03 were terrific and were made in and elegant style that was the opposite of the “big” pinot trend from about 15 years ago.

The Pinots started to change in 2004 (which was a real miss, acknowledged as much by Tom) and things didn’t really get back on track until 2007, but the wines were now made in a much riper style.

Meanwhile, the Cabernet Sauvignon snd Syrah continue to be delicious and still very much under the radar. I won’t be ordering any Pinot in this offering, but I will order some Cabernet and Syrah.

Nice thread. Unfortunately I was on the list for the 3 years when the PNs were over the top. They drank well very young but didn’t age like so many other xtreme PN from that time. Still have an '04 Cab that I’m thinking about popping soon.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of the library wines that were offered? All gone before I could take a look.

Currently drinking the 2008 estate pinot and every bottle has been excellent. All of Tom’s wines age wonderfully. FYI some local retailers carry the pinots, chard and cab in limited quantity.

Was at a party this last weekend where they opened a 1996 Russian River cab and a 1997 Goldridge PN. All I can say is wow. Very impressive.

Has anyone been to the “pickup” party? I got the paper mailer a couple of days back and saw that it was on the weekend of my birthday. I looked over at my wife and said, “Hey, do you think our parents would want some time with our kids in mid-November?” She smiled…I think a trip to the area is in the works. What’s the pickup party like?

1 Like

The pick up parties are great. Tons of good food, and in the Fall you get an unlimited selection of Carole Dehlinger’s gourds, squash, and pumpkins.

I just had a '97 Pinot Noir Estate, and it was drinking quite well surprisingly. I don’t know that I’d try to give it much more time, but my tasting group had it as a very solid 91-92pts

I recently bought and drank three bottles of the 96 Estate Pinot. A little heavier and less pinot-ish than I might have expected, but they were good and interesting wines, definitely not over the hill or close to it.

Hint - you can buy good back vintages of Dehlinger for substantially less than current release prices if you shop around. I probably paid $40@ for those bottles from HDH - one was corked, but otherwise the bottles were in great condition.