General thoughts on Dehlinger Winery?

I would agree with what John said, the parties are nice. Food spread is pretty good and usually always current releases or one surprise pouring. The last one was outside which was nice on the crush pad but the inside ones have been nice as well. Usually we hit up a couple pick up’s that day in the area it works out quite well (typically Scherrer also has lined up that day, or say Radio-Coteau)

Current offering:
2016 Estate Chardonnay $42.00
2016 Goldridge Pinot noir $52.00
2012 Frei Road Syrah $48.00
2015 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon $55.00

I believe that AG gave the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon a 96 point score.
It’s just a number, but my palate is congruent with AG, so I stocked
up on the Cab…

I bought a mixed case

I stopped buying Dehlinger a while ago. The Chard was always reliable. Still opening aged Cab with joy, it is a unique expression of RRV Cab.

Agree strongly on both. The cab can age beautifully, but is delicious young as well. Even the Claret can age gracefully, and I’ve enjoyed dozens of bottles over the years.

One of the best!!! And library releases.

I’d focus on Bordeaux blends, Syrah and then a little chardonnay and less Pinot.

Jason

1 Like

Another WBer had given me one of these 2009 Dehlinger ‘Claret’ [Russian River Valley] some time ago, and I was finally able to share it with a friend over the weekend. This Bordeaux blend was a lovely surprise from a name that I associate more with pinot, although I’m guessing the last time I tried one of those had to be more than a decade ago. There was some pyrazine mint / oregano / eucalyptus here, but also so much red berry fruit that it does not come across like a cab franc or Sociando Mallet type of wine, but more like a plump Pauillac. Full bodied, 14.9% abv, and still showing the last hints of tannin today. It then closes out with some mocha/coffee flavors. Very nice stuff and an A- on my scorecard.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a producer with the market power to sell directly, so not easy for an non committal type of enthusiast to pick up, lest they deal with secondary market risks. This was a great thread to learn about their lineup.

1 Like

Last night… from mag.

2 Likes

Was this from me? Glad you enjoyed it!

I think that Dehlinger is definetly known more for their Pinot’s than for their Cab’s/Blends, I bought a ton of the Pinot’s back in the day (many from WineLibrary and then WineBid) and I love that style of Pinot…but to this day, a bottle of the Dehlinger 2001 Reserve Cabernet is one of the best Napa Cabs I have ever had…

1 Like

Russian River Valley.

Correct…Sonoma…(I thought I read that a small part of the RRV was actually in Napa)…either way, it is a great bottle of Cabernet!