Gifting Wine

I like gifting wine, especially champagne as it’s very festive. As most of my friends and colleagues do not share my palate, I like gifting known things like Veuve Cliquot Rose. Not a connoisseur’s champagne, but it’s decent and they know what it is. Just ordered a case for this exact reason. One of my closest friends is a big Cali Cab baller, so I always get him quality, but modern Bordeaux. He loves them, like Pavie, but tends not to shop for them. This year, since he’s a cyclist with an Italian bike with Campgnola components, I’m getting him that “Big” Campagnola corkscrew. I have one, it works really well. For years I was gifting my Dad those horrid :wink: 2007 Chateauneuf du Papes that he loves so much, thus killing two birds with one stone. Fortunately for friends and family, I do not gift them my thin and weedy Chinons. I am saving those for my buddy Carlos Delphin.

I like to give a gift card for a free boink. After all, who doesn’t like sex? However, I choose my recipients carefully, and make sure the gift card clearly says ‘non-transferrable’.

When I/we give wine, we know or have a very good idea of the recipient’s palate. If I don’t know their palate, I’m not going to give them something they may hate. “Wine store owner gave me shitty wine.” When in doubt, gift certificate to a wine shop or the gift card.

PWI? [whistle.gif]

Sorry, no. Just a weird sense of humor, which not everyone finds funny. If you do, great. If not, there isn’t much I can do about that.

No worries Chuck. I did find it amusing whether posted sober or not.

Stop gifting Oregon Pinot neener

Wine is a great gift. For folks I know well I try to tailor to their tastes/interests. For others I just try to give something tasty and representative of a broad style (eg. Oregon Pinot, California Cab) that is generally likable.

Patrick Henry:
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Gift me Liberty, or Gift me Death!

Nathan Hale:
I only regret that I have but one life to gift for my country.

Emma Lazarus:
Gift me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore….

If you give me something, I will be grateful.

If you gift me something, I will be polite.

[thankyou.gif]

Language. The gift that keeps on giving.

Ralph is the Manchurian Berserker. His trigger is the word “gift” instead of the Queen of Diamonds. [berserker.gif]

It starts with the title.