Gifting Wine

Thank you for giving me the gift of your time,intelligence and command of the English language.

I am forever grateful.

I hope I got that right.

I was always better in math.

Thanks.

You may need the gift of help.

[cheers.gif]

Guys, didn’t you see or read the Manchurian Candidate? You both might have set the wheels in motion to your own demise! [swoon.gif] [pwn.gif]

For those of you wondering about Ralph Earle’s series of messages, he is under the mistaken, but long-lived impression that gift may not be used as a verb. A quick look at the OED will show him to be wrong. So all you people can keep on gifting as much as you like.

Gift a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and he will gift vacuum packed filets for Christmas.

… or something like that. neener

‘Gift’ is not only a noun, but accepted as a verb too. Same thing with ‘Google’ - it’s the name of the search engine, but you can also Google something… for instance, the word ‘gift’:

Living languages evolve. Change is constant.

The Grammar Police endorse this post.

The Atlantic piece is an entertaining argument for why “gift” should not be a verb. As it recognizes, however, it nevertheless is a verb.

Sometimes I see a significant savings in using nouns as verbs. I Googled his name. I texted my wife. I can see the efficiency of that in informal spoken or written communication.

But other times, it seems like jargon for its own sake, like “we are trying to solution that” or “I am gifting a bottle to my friend for Christmas.” It seems like you’re adding syllables to say something in an inferior way.

Not an attack on anyone, just my personal thinking on the topic.

Back to the main point, many wine gifts are poorly chosen or just bad wines. But one thing our wine knowledge and passion do for us is allow us to choose wine gifts very well. We can not only give quality wines, but we can select wines the recipient is going to like, plus we can pick interesting and thoughtful themes - finding a great dry Portuguese red for a friend who is of Portuguese ancestry, or who is going to Portugal on vacation next summer.

I enjoy giving wine as gifts. Sure, gift cards or cash have the maximum efficiency, but that isn’t always the purpose of a gift.

I make an active effort not to gift wine or wine-related nonsense. It occasionally happens where I know it will work out well.

In German, Gift means poison.

If for some reason I am giving wine as a gift I tend towards Champagne.

If I’m gifting poison I suppose some of the Aubert pinot Jay H keeps opening for me would fit the bill.

I would like to be poisened with a giving gift of Aubert Pinot. If you just want to make a gifting give of Aubert Pinot that is ok too! neener neener

Agree with you, Chris. I can still remember when contact, partner, and party were all nouns only. The one that bothers me is using office as a verb. Where do you office? I office out of my home. Ditto for message. How should we message this?

Regarding the OP, I tend to give Champagne. Even a NV bottle of something that can be purchased everywhere will end up getting opened for one reason or another.