Glass wine cellar

That’s because the LED lights are on

Thank you for all the input, lots to think about.

Rich,

Awesome looking!!! How can you not love staring at that.

Do you think you can pm me the glass & cooling info?

As for the light, I’m aware of the issue and it will not be in direct sunlight. My windows are uv protected as well. Also not going to be only storage, long termers will stay in the cooler.

Love the info, more if possible!

Thanks man! I am pretty damn happy with it, and id be lying if I said my wife doesn’t catch me standing there staring at it pretty often :wink:

You got it. I’ll PM you right now

How about using very, very dark glass?

Oh, wait,…

Damn that is a nice wine wall!

So that will mean your bottles will be kept in the dark?

Rich very nice looking space! How tight is the seal on your glass doors? Do they latch somewhat like a traditional door, or is it more akin to how a shower door closes and seals (or something else)?

Thanks Ian!

Good question- they do not latch (well…they do have locks on the bottom) and are more similar to shower doors (frameless) but installed much tighter and then with plastic coverings that help keep it pretty air tight. Couple pics attached but it’s kinda hard to see.
20180209_143616.jpg
20180209_143645.jpg

Hell, I’m grinning like a loon just looking at the pictures. That’s amazing.

Was buying from Wine Racks of America cheaper than buying direct from Vintage View? I’m currently looking at 3 bottle deep wall racking for my future cellar. Thanks!

Drool

Yep, for me it turned out to be. I put together my potential order, let them know I was shopping around, and told the guy to come back with his best/final. It was the lowest price I found and included free shipping on top of the design consultation. I was very happy with them and would absolutely recommend contacting them as opposed to just looking at their online prices.

I wouldn’t worry. The Nat’l Institute of Health looked into it. Here’s part of the abstract for the study. If you add the type of glass to the glass bottle and the fact that most are green, I think you’d be OK. The reason for keeping them dark AFIK is because that’s what underground caves and cellars were like, and also because some people don’t want to look at a lot of bottles, boxes, and other stuff that you throw in your wine room. But I’ve never found a study comparing the same wine in bottles either in or out of the dark.

The baseline radiation from UVA and UVB sources was measured at different distances from the photometers. Next, the radiation from the same sources was measured at the same distances, but transmitted by different types of glass. The baseline values were compared with the results after protection using glass.
RESULTS:

Laminated glass totally blocked UVA radiation, while smooth ordinary glass transmitted the highest dose (74.3%). Greater thicknesses of glass implied less radiation transmitted, but without a significant difference. Green glass totally blocked UVA radiation, while blue glass transmitted the highest dose of radiation (56.8%). The presence of a sunlight control film totally blocked UVA radiation. All glasses totally blocked UVB radiation.
CONCLUSION:

The main characteristics of glass that make it a photoprotective agent are its type (especially laminated glass) and color (especially green), which give rise to good performance by this material as a barrier against the transmission of radiation.

That is one cool wine wall. You must have great will power because I’d be debating which wine to open next every time I looked at it.

Ha! Funny you should mention that…as I’ve literally been thinking to myself lately that I’m pretty damn sure my wine consumption has increased since finishing the cellar.

Awesome looking wall! I’ve recently started to do some research on something similar as well. Thanks for sharing!

Would you please pm me the info as well? Just bought a house and was thinking of doing something very similar. Also if you don’t mind my asking what was the cost of the total build.

They’ve got all sorts of coatings & embeddings for glass & acrylic nowadays, to the point that you can get panels to filter just about whatever you want them to filter.

Meaning that if you identify some specific segment of the broader spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, then there’s likely a company out there which can coat the panel [or embed something in the panel] to filter out that specific segment of the spectrum.

Awesome! Looks like you are almost out of room…

No problem Chris - just sent the PM.

Cost for the cooling unit was around $3800 (not counting the loss i took on the bullshit commercial unit that my HVAC company originally sold me), glass was about $4500 installed, and the racks totaled close to $5300. It’s hard to put a price on the framing and foam insulation as that was a part of our total house build

Hope that helps!