God, I wish critics would stick to wines and not burden us with their musical preferences.

You are good! Check my spoiler, you nailed it!!! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Cheers, man, I agree.

Ah…not to be cranky Dennis, but for some of us Mr. Martin’s issuances are very much as important as stock reports, if not exactly like them.

He and all other impactful critics are issuing a buy/sell for the production of wines by people like me. While their opinions do not define my succes, they do impact my fiscal well being materially. Fortunately, more often than not the impact is good.

What she said.

I just read through all the replies to see if GOD had chimed in. I didn’t know she/he registered and if she /he does will Todd enforce the last name policy?

I wish they wouldn’t burden us with their wine preferences.

this old guy only listens to blues, mostly by dead guys . . . goes well with burgundy, weightlifting, driving. Don’t read many wine critics any more, just a few peeps on this board. Now back to Lightnin’ Hopkins.

What Parker?
Charlie Parker?

[rofl.gif]

Cracking up on these, definitely the most of the first world problems threads recently! And yea, jazz bores me. Now if the note was composed to Lil Wayne or Kendrick Lamar, then we good.

[wow.gif]

My greatest fear is this post will be lost to the masses.

Don’t worry. “Jazz is everywhere”.

+1 [cheers.gif]

We can keep this post, however spurious it is, in the public eye by demanding a recount.

Correct. One of the best of all time.

Where and how do I add my name to an emphatic huge drum banging ! What don’t you get that having all that you bring to the forum to be privileged to taste and write about wine, is an abuse of the privilege to write a review of Jazz.

What do you not get - Neal? Particularly to review a musical form you do not get or like?
Thank goodness is it someone beside me who has credibility and wisdom and not tagged as a complainer.
It so ruins the entire mood and trust for neal Martin and the site that he does that. How ever because of my professional relationship
I am so hesitant to express my feelings, but some how Mark has touched me in a way that has allowed me to explode.

To use your pulpit to criticize Jazz - and then like the guy who has some “black friends” so you are not a racists - you say you have the famous jazz albums so we can see how good and decent you are?

We should have some of the many people who do not appreciate wine write to you about what is wrong with wine and your pointless reviews.
And Aleatoric nature? Really? When a knowledgeable jazz musician improvises it is not like a fly trapped in a jar. It is not random, the great musicians are working around some core element. Your ears cannot
hear - just like someone without an educated palette cannot taste - that random fly who to your mind is pointlessly trapped in a confined space, is developing a theme.
Only a fool speaks on matters that they do not know.

I studied Indian Classical music for 15 years. Many an accomplished Jazz musician came in to learn as well,
what’s the use…

“It ain’t for you” Yet, you feel a compunction to review the musical form. So many people who appreciate your knowledge reflected in the wine reviews are so uncomfortable and offended that you have anointed yourself a music critic.
I find this so offensive and an abuse of your position Neal. Just how inflated an idea of self importance do you have- that you use your forum to write about an art form you not only know nothing about - you do not appreciate it.
Whenever I try to read your reviews it is difficult to get through as this self importance - music and other worldly areas come creeping in.
I know it is common in your generation to display this arrogance. Neal’s knowledge of wine and study is evident, but why does he think this is what we want to read?
An online petition is something I’d like to see - I could not be the one to start it.
Where is the melody? Just like someone who does not like wine cannot find anything interesting, you cannot see - you are a blind man.
Aleatoric? Like a fly trapped in a jar? You’ve really displayed your stupidity and lack of understanding.

Dissent and discussion are great - I suspect that unlike Parker, who would have thrown a tantrum, Neal would probably take any comments without taking offence - so why do you not simply post them on the Vinous Your Say forum, so he can actually read them and react?!
I’ve never seen him post here, so the chances are he’ll never know that he caused such opprobrium!

It’s interesting, this discussion. While I correlate about 5% with Neal’s musical preferences, I actually like that he weaves music into his writing. Even if I disagree. More music (and musical discussion/references) in the world will always be a plus for me. And count me in the camp that would likely love any random selection from Alan Weinberg’s or Neal Mollen’s collections.

I’m actually curious why people think his weaving musical analogies and thought into wine articles isn’t warranted and doesn’t provide value and style that we should welcome. I’m not really seeing a convincing case against it above. And maybe he is happy to create and/or focus on an audience that appreciates this style and he doesn’t care if it’s not for everyone or is distracting or even off-putting to some readers.

I subscribe to Vinous for its wine content. Period. If Neal is a more rounded person, and has something to say, let him do it in a separate article, dedicated to his musical musings. Make sure it is properly labeled, so I know it contains zero wine content and can skip accordingly. No commingling wine and music, and if he does feel an overwhelming urge, he should try his damndest not to disrespect an entire category as wonderful and diverse as jazz. It is bad enough that he inflicts his opinions on things he likes, it is not ok when he writes about Bordeaux and takes a sideswipe on something he doesn’t.