Goldbelly experiences

I am bummed if they aren’t still warm from the oven when I get them home. (The SWMBO lives just a few blocks from Ess-A) the hand cut nova from Russ and Daughters or Zabars beats what they slice at Ess-a

It may be equal but no way better!

If you don’t live in NYC and have to rely on Goldbelly/FedX, Essa is great for Bagels; likewise Russ and Daughters for all things fish. Zabars is great if you are local but what they ship, even what is portrayed as hand sliced, is lame by comparison. Waiting for Sables to get back in business…

Have you actually had Russ and Daughters smoked salmon?

I’ve had R&D many times (I’m local). You can get a quarter pound of lox/nova/smoked salmon for $10 at a bagel store. It’s commercial.
You can go to R&D and other upscale local fish stores and pay $12.00 - $15.00 for a quarter pound. For an extra few dollars, why would anyone purchased lox at a bagel store. When I’m downtown, I’ll buy a quarter pound of Scottish salmon at R&D. It’s good for 3 bagels, maybe 4. FYI, lox can be frozen. edit > Balducci’s has smoked salmon between $33 and $36 a pound. It’s almost as good as Russ and Daughters, and has the benefit of being local to my Westchester location.

Now I’m hungry.

I knew you had Dan (as have most of the locals).! My only difference from your perspective is that I prefer the Gaspe.

Ess a Bagel gets their smoked salmon from Acme.

+1

Virtually everyone gets their salmon from Acme. Acme smokes to each shops specifications for R&D and Zabars and they also select their own sides of salmon to be smoked. You too can go to Acme for Smoked Fish Friday (worth it if you need to cater a brit or something as the salmon is $18/lb) https://acmesmokedfish.smartonlineorder.com/ all a lot easier because of CoVid… no line up any more.

Now I’ve learned all Acme isn’t alike!

That’s right… some hit you like a rocket and some like an anvil (beep beep)

That makes total sense that all these shops use Acme as their co-packer. I think the true cost of every shop smoking their own fish would make lox be even more exorbitantly priced.

Wexler’s in LA smokes there own lox. Very good.

I’ve ordered fish from Russ & Daughters through Goldbelly for 4+ years. Always good. Decent sized orders for an annual party: smoked whitefish, whitefish/salmon salad, chopped herring and a couple of kinds of lox. Always prefer the in person experience but shipping is much more convenient. Acme looks like a fine option except apparently no shipping?

RT

Goldbelly really works for R&D when you order large like you outline. Shipping costs goes up much slower, so things like dried fruit can be put in cost effectiely as well as the perishable stuff. For a big order, shipping is maybe $30-$40 less than R&D direct.

Acme’s pseudo retail is in person only. Before Covid you’d have to go and line up outside the factory on Friday morning. Now you can preorder online but must pick up in person. I suppose otherwise they’d be undercutting their own clients. I have gone and bought 5 lbs of salmon for a big break fast or NY Day brunch though. Fun.

You are a fool! neener

All of the sandwiches are served on Italian bread. It’s kind of what they do - you probably didn’t like the fries and slaw on the sandwich either. They got their start by serving truckers hence piling everything in between 2 slices of Italian.

It’s like someone going to Katz’s in NYC and saying ‘man I hate pastrami on rye.’ Or Brooklyn for pizza and saying ‘I only like deep dish.’ Why go?

The Pitts-Burgher and Cheese might be their worst sandwich - it’s basically a cheeseburger. The Capicola with a fried egg, the pastrami or the roast beef are the only acceptable choices, they spit on the other sandos as they should champagne.gif [stirthepothal.gif] .

just received my first order. Incredibly disappointing. Tried to write a review and it has to be submitted to Goldbelly, doesn’t automatically get posted. That’s why they have a 4.8/5 rating but other independent sites rate them 2/5.

I bought Davila’s BBQ—brisket and sausage. Sausage decent, brisket dry and not enjoyable. Worse than any supermarket. Spent almost $200. Complained and got a $15 off coupon for next order. Told them I wouldn’t get it again even if free.

Maybe it was served on some kind of Italian bread. I know what to order in a Jewish deli, but like a good wine store they’re all located 250 miles away. BTW, I didn’t go to pittsburgh to sample this delight I live here. Not even worth a 5 stride detour. deadhorse

Nice - what part of town? I grew up there in the South Hills, Upper St Clair.

Go get the Capicola with a fried egg and tell me it’s not the best low brow comfort food you’ve ever eaten.

We’re downtown, where the locals say nobody lives. Alright, I’ll try one. Admit ordering a “cheesesteak” was likely a mistake.