Goodfellow SIP sheet...updated 5/5/20

Order in! Looking forward to getting my hands on these.

Hmm indeed I will start saving now [cheers.gif]

Lol. Night two was even better. Great stuff, Marcus.

Order in for Richard’s Cuvee, Whistling Ridge PN, Temperance, and Lewman. Spoke with Megan and I’m really looking forward to these. I’ve been on an OR chard/PN kick ever since I moved up to WA a few months ago. Thanks Marcus!

[cheers.gif]

Order in for a Chardonnay assortment. Thanks Marcus and Megan

Got in my order of a mixed case of SV Pinot and a mixed case of cellar defenders in late Friday. Don’t buy two cases (or even a case) of much but had to this go around.

Just sent Marcus an email to purchase the 18s. I’m looking forward to trying the Chards.

I feel your pain. I’ve normally been at around 3 cases sans Heritage/special blocks. This year I got down to 2, though I really didn’t want to. But want to save some dry powder for the Heritage bottlings.

If only money grew on trees.

Just curious for the Goodfellow veterans, what has been your approach with purchasing Heritage/special blocks? Do you just buy multiples of the ones you’ve tasted before and like, regardless of vintage, or buy a little of everything to compare/contrast as they age?

I have not tasted the blocks as they were new last year. I need to taste some before fall. The heritage wines I was fortunate enough to taste through a few with Marcus a few years ago during a trip to the winery and since then I just blindly buy them. Its certainly becoming harder as the # of bottlings increases. I know what my vineyard preferences are but now all these new special block bottlings makes it all the harder.

That said, I am a bad example since my strategy this time was at least 2 of everything and load up on favorites like the Richard’s Cuvee and the Whistling Ridge Blanc RR Pinot.

Sean

Thank you everyone, it’s really appreciated. Especially this year.

Sean, do you mind sharing your impressions of the different vineyards?

Whistling Ridge is my favorite. The bright acidity and minerality across all the wines whether they are Chardonnay, Pinot, Riesling or Field Blend. There is a always tension in these wines. Then Durant. Fir Crest is good but does not excite me as much as other wines. I have yet to try a temperance hill from Goodfellow but have had them from Walter Scott. Marcus used to make Souris and Deux Vert and I enjoyed them as well. So there is no vineyard so I don’t like but I love the acidity and tension in all the Whistling Ridge wines.

Sean

I’ve already determined the Durant chardonnay is my preferred over the Whistling Ridge because of the tension and matchstick reduction (Marcus, is that typical regardless of the vintage). Will keep exploring the other vineyards. Bought some Fir Crest and the Lewman Vineyard to try out this go-a-round.

To me, the flintiness varies between vintage to vintage and the designate. I have tried NOT a 17 Durant yet but in vintages going back to 14, I always seem to find more of that reductive goodness on the WR than the Durant. It also seems to have gone down in recent vintages. The '15 Richard Cuvee was quite flinty in my recollection.

Curious about Marcus’ perception. Overall I find Chardonnays like Goodfellow and WS even at their most reduced are still not like PYCM.

Sean

I usually use the shotgun approach. I go wide and sporadic. It has worked out well thus far. I have chard in the cellar going back to ‘13 and pinot going back to ‘12.

I will be placing my order this weekend to stock up a little more. I have no idea yet what I will get.

I think Sean has the right of it. While some vineyards may be prone to a bot of reduction, it usually occurs in the fermentation part of the process. I want a little in the wines, but feel that 2014 it dominated the wines a bit. In 2015 it was just about perfect, but in 2016-2018, it’s a lighter presence, but is balanced by the purity of fruit in 2016 and the linear electric nature of the 20-7 and 2018s. The Durant does have a bit more in 2017.

Quite the selection of new offers…

WR Verticals and more…

champagne.gif

2013 Matello Fool’s Journey Syrah/Viognier - Such an interesting wine. Marcus poured this for me when I visited I believe, bought a few and then ended up buying more than a few more from Liner and Elsen. Someone else wiser than I said its a syrah for pinot drinkers and it certainly is. I need to check in on one soon. CT says I last had one in November last year. Seems like it be time to pop another…

Also lucky got located and unearthed 09 Lazarus pinot in my cellar today. Knowing you have a wine in the cellar is one thing. For me finding it is another matter.

Sean

WTF you just had to do the Whistling vertical after my last box just arrived? guess I will be calling Megan shortly [highfive.gif]

Sean, I just popped one of the '13 Syrahs a couple of weeks ago, and it’s in a good place right now. Definitely on the lighter side for Syrah, but very pretty, with a light meaty/gamey note to let you know it’s not Pinot, although the texture and body is Pinot-like. I really liked it and am glad I have a few more.