Goodfellow SIP sheet...updated 5/5/20

This is my first two case order! Now I don’t have to feel guilty about drinking from any of my prior deliveries. I ordered all 3 offers, plus a bottle of Riesling based on Megan’s suggestion.

Oh great now all the heritage wines, after the quarantine is over I will have everything Marcus made from Whistling Ridge! Silver lining I guess :slight_smile:

2 cases this time, I’m done*

Funny enough this is more difficult than it sounds. I’ll give TNs for all 5 wines a shot, but one of the toughest aspects to describe in the Heritage No. 7 is the “just right” quality it has. Like Goldilocks sitting in Baby Bear’s chair. But here goes…

2016 Heritage No. 7, Whistling Ridge Vineyard: seamless nose, and quite expressive and compelling on pop-n-pour. A range of aromatics that somehow express as a singular whole. The parts are dusty red fruits, exotic spices, tea leaves, hints of orange, and very red cherries. Ripe red fruits in the mouth, but a savory character to it, weightless yet silky, with excellent acidity, and very fine tannins. Again, I can talk around this wine all day, but for me there is an “it” factor that’s hard to verbally express.

2018 Heritage No. 12, Whistling Ridge: while this may be the most youthful of the 5 wines, it should have a beautiful early window for drinking. Fruit intensity in the 2018s is exceptional(and alcohols are quite modest). The No. 12 supports this on pnp, the nose is very pure deep red fruits, layered with rose petals, orange rind, and hints of brown spices, specifically notes of clove. The palate is more richly toned, with sappier fruit, richer texture, and intensity. Acidity and tannins are fine in quality, but fold in easily to the fruit. This really opened up over day 2 and especially day 3.

2013 Heritage No. 2, Whistling Ridge: this opens up with a fine translucent ruby color(there is some fine sediment in the bottles so be sure to stand them upright for a few days). The nose shows a lifted cranberry and pomegranate aroma, rose pastilles, stem spice, and a hint of smoke. Over several hours this deepened considerably showing deeper red fruits, ripe strawberry and tart but red cherry. In the palate the wine opens up with time into a dense strawberry/cherry and rose petal expression. The wine is long, with an excellent almost Nebbiolo-like finish.

2015 Heritage No. 4, Whistling Ridge: pours with a more garnet color, and shows the weight of the vintage on pnp. Deep spice, red fruits tinged with black, hints of dark earth. A touch ponderous compared to the others. Still it stays balanced to savory stems, with good nuance, an array of red fruits, pipe tobacco, and excellent structure. On day 2, this is singing. It’s lighter on it’s feet, more nuanced and balanced. Just delicious.

2017 Heritage No. 10, Whistling Ridge: translucent ruby on pnp. This has many similar traits to the other wines, but in a not open for business way. It almost seems to me to be a ghost version of the No. 12. More than any of the others it reminds me of young wines from high whole cluster Burgundy producers(Dom. de l’Arlot specifically). Taut red fruits, cranberry, sour cherry, stem spice, crushed rocks. The palate has excellent depth and texture but is quite tight and dominated by the structural elements. Refined-yes, ready to go-no. On day 4 the wine showed up. The tannins softened and aromatically the red fruit deepened, and acids became part of juicy fruit character. Floral tones filled out, but the wine stayed ethereal, with a compelling perfume.

…Fall Release email is only 4.5 months away!

Sure, we’ve heard that before! [rofl.gif]

He meant today… [snort.gif]

Just ordered a case from the latest offer! Brian, I have to confess it was difficult to keep it to one case.:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Marcus

Its damn near impossible to resist these wines. BTW: Have you tried the WR field blend yet. Amazing stuff…

Sean

I’m filling out my second case with a bottle of the crack, which I haven’t tried yet. I’m making terrible decisions left and right :wink:

Brian,

You won’t be disappointed. But you might wish you got more! Electric stuff and delicious. And thanks for all the great notes on Marcus’ wines. You capture a bunch of the characteristics I appreciate in them.

In the future when your enjoying Marcus’s wines, you’ll be glad with your decisions. BTW, you might want to order more than one bottle of “the crack.” Once you taste it, you’ll wish you had more. It’s called “the crack” for a reason.:slightly_smiling_face: Just my 2 cents.

Is Stotter going for Berserker Quarantine Sale Champ?

Is that like winning a Pro Bowl versus a Super Bowl?

I thought I was safe from buying more wine for a while and then Marcus goes and does this. And, I may already have some 2018 Heritages…

Lol! I only had room for one bottle in my 2 cases (did Heritage offer x 1 and Chardonnay sampler x 3). I’m sure the crack is addictive enough to buy more later :slight_smile:

I know everyone goes gaga for Marcus’ Pinots and Chards (and rightly so), but do yourself a favor and grab some of the Pinot Gris and Syrah. I generally fall in the Jim Anderson camp when it comes to PG, but Marcus is an exception and a delicious one.

Oh yeah, you can never have too much “crack.”

And with the 2019 Riesling in bottle, we were considering putting that up for the next offer…

…the good news is that Todd is locking down the forum so soon my hands will be tied.

champagne.gif

I thought it was all for me…

Just had a bottle of the 2018 Dundee Chardonnay. One word. Delicious.

Order in.