Goodfellow

Piling on here, but Marcus is making fantastic wines. It helps that he and Megan are super nice and easy to work with, but regardless the wines are killer.

2 Likes

Alan, thanks for sharing your experience. Asking an avowed Burg-phile to be objective about US Pinots can be challenging. It’s been over a decade that I’ve had affinity for Marcus and a biased inclination towards his wines. Glad you were impressed! [cheers.gif]

RT

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

Dujac?
I was thinking more Corton or Beaune but my experience is limited.
Perhaps, I should correct that.
Best, jim

it was stems, light color of the wines, and powerful aromatics that drew the comparison.

Clearly, my experience is lacking.
Thanks for the tip.
Best, jim

Great Post Alan, sounds like a great time and a special experience.

I love me some Goodfellow and that reminds me I have to find bins for the last Berserker Day haul, they are laying on their side in the cellar corner.

One might not make it to the bin :slight_smile:

1 Like

you are being humble, jim. You have tremendous experience. I’ve always looked at your posts to learn. My opinion is subjective, not fact.

I always thought of Goodfellows like Fourrier. Whenever I blind it, i blind it next to a fourrier.

1 Like

How does their offers/mailing list/club stuff work?

The best thing is to be on the email list for the pre-release, which has really sharp pricing.

Same goes for Vincent BTW.

Alan, and everyone thank you very much.

Over the 20 years I have been producing wines, we never strayed from recognizing that Burgundy is the gold standard in the world for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. While Oregon terroir is bound to be different, I’ve always felt that careful site selection, farming, and cellar choices could lead us to wines that carry a similar ethos to the wines from Burgundy.

Having truly experienced Burgundy drinkers appreciate the wines is unquestionably the best compliment that I receive.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

You can join the mailing list via the website, or email myself or megan directly (marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com). As David noted, it’s the most efficient way of acquiring the wines. As always, this forum carries a lot of weight and we’ve seen a jump in mailing list adds since Alan posted, so we’ve been sending a link to the Spring release to offer a chance for new Berserkers to become familiar with the wines.

Cheers,

Marcus

It is interesting that this thread is moving your mail list numbers when there’s already a long-running “What Goodfellow/Matello wine are you drinking?” thread. Look like it’s been going for four years.

It’s always interesting to compare influences or similarities between our wines and Burgundians, but it can be confusing too.

An 07 Dujac Echezeaux was fantastic, and very much in a vein that our wines aspire to, not in flavor but in weight, balance, delicacy, and structure. A 2015 Clos de la Roche was dark and powerful in a way that I don’t think our wines could ever be.

I think your comparison with Beaune has a lot of merit, and might suggest that if Dujac made Volnay it would be where our wines and Burgundy might intersect. Or Fourrier’s wines as well, though a somewhat recent bottle of 2010 G-C Vieilles Vignes was superlative enough to fall into a category of wines I wish I could make.

Other producers that are influences enough that one can see what we’re aspiring to would be: Jouan, Chandon de Briailles, and Gerard Potel’s wines at Pousse d’Or.

But sites are really what matters, and Whistling Ridge seems most connected to the silkier red fruited communes(Aloxe-Corton, Pernand-Vergelesses, and sometimes Chassagne-Montrachet rouge(though the last are old memories for me and I am planning on revisiting C-M rouge again soon).

Weinberg is an influencer

2 Likes

‘Nice thing to say but I was referring specifically to the Goodfellow wines, with which I have very little. Your chance to taste broadly and with the winemaker is enviable and something I’d love to do.
But I’m not so sure your opinion isn’t fact.:sunglasses:
Best, jim

Although the wines should not be confused with Burgundy, I really do like these wines. They are as individual in their own way, and really amazing quality.

Just finishing off a case, and should think about reordering.

Combine Weinberg with Fu, and these wines will be as expensive as Gonon in a couple of years.

That is probably entirely due to the respect people have for Alan’s thoughts and palate.

We added quite a few(many) new members to the mailing list when Charlie put one of our wines into a Burgundy tasting and put it onto IG.

Honestly, looking at this thread and the posters who have complimented the wines is humbling and extraordinarily uplifting at the same time.

1 Like