Goodfellow

hahah. Tell my kids. They won’t do anything I tell them.

2 Likes

For whatever reasons (probably not good ones), I almost never read those consolidated threads, and I’m obviously on the board a lot.

For example, I love Carlisle, but I never visit the “What Carlisle are you drinking?” thread. Now, if someone posted a thread with a few TNs of Carlisle wines, or about a visit to Carlisle, I probably would read that.

I really do not like those massive “what are you drinking” threads.

1 Like

Count me as another burgundy lover recently impressed by Goodfellow. Delicious, beautiful wine with excellent balance and purity.

1 Like

While I realize the vast majority of these posts are focused on Marcus’ Pinots, don’t sleep on the Chardonnay - the Richard’s Cuvee from Whistling Ridge, the Durant and the new addition to the lineup, Temperance Hill, are all eminently drinkable and at least IMO, very reasonably priced for what is in the bottle. I just poured the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Richard’s at a dinner last Saturday and I think the wines were uniformly enjoyed by several very experienced tasters (Trimpi was there as well, for whatever that’s worth) [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

shhhhhhh! :slight_smile: I was thinking the same thing. I have had more of their Chardonnays to date, and love them. About to tip my toe into their Pinots given 1) how much I like their Chards; 2) the love that is evident on this and other threads for the wines from people whose palates I respect; and 3) the vibe that Marcus and Megan contribute to the discussions here.

Awesome! Just sent an email and I am looking forward to trying these in the future! [cheers.gif]

Ditto
These are wonderful wines.

Just got a self designed 2019 chardonnay sampler pack last week. Drinking the 2019 willamette tonight, so far one of the best $20 chards I have had. Caveat that I often avoid chardonnay so don’t claim expertise.

i just got followed on IG by a weinberg!

my kids quote you. They both follow.

Joined the mailing list and ordered a mixed case this spring after hearing so much about them here and I’ve been blown away. These are lovely wines. Hoping to make my first trip to Willamette Valley this fall, and Goodfellow will be my first stop!

Very generous of you Bob, and all the Chards showed well. I’d be tempted to let the 2013 rest a bit longer although it was perfectly enjoyable. The 2014 and 2015 showed more vintage character…an appealing OR attribute IMHO. In the past I’ve guessed blind that a Goodfellow Richard’s Chard was a Burgundy. No doubt it’ll happen again.

RT

Marcus was kind enough to overnight me a 6 pack selection of his library wines when I went skiing this March (vacation post vaccination is the cure for coming out of lockdown). It was a blessing as the local wine shops in Aspen are no where close to Portland or NYC selections.

2006 Hommage
2011 Matello Souris
2012 Matello Souris
2012 Bishop Creek
2013 Whistling Ridge
2014 Durant

I enjoyed seeing how the winemaking has progressed, and consistently improved. They followed a nice path of increasing deliciousness and sophistication, as the viticulture and winemaking was dialed in. I like that Oregon, with its mix of growers and makers, let’s you support a founders entrepreneurial journey. Wine being a lot about connecting to good people and a special place. There seem to be many of those attributes in the Willamette Valley.

I am optimistic for all of the Heritage releases I have been tucking away, and will try to give them, especially the Whistling Ridge, enough cellar time as I also like wines with age.

I opened a well stored Beau Freres 1996 from magnum a couple weeks ago that was at a perfect stage, so I am confident the Ribbon Ridge AVA can go the distance.

Look forward to many nice meals enhanced with Marcus and Megan’s wine in the years to come.

I haven’t had as many of their older Pinots, but am a fan of the 2013 Whistling Ridge and also 2013 Durant which is a very lovely, somewhat understated wine from what I gather was a difficult vintage. The 2013 Durant was the first Goodfellow wine I tried. It showed up in one of my local (high end) grocery stores and I ended up buying about half their case inventory.

-Al

We opened a 2015 Durant Chardonnay for some friends this weekend. They were pleasantly surprised. I said no big deal, it is just Marcus’ typical awesomeness.

1 Like

2019 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (7/1/2021)
Rich wine with minerals, apple, spices, lemon and floral notes. Good concentration and very well made wine. (92 points)
goodfellow.JPG

1 Like

let me know what you think.

I don’t want to take anything away from the ‘18 vintage (which is great) but I recently did a 2019 tasting with Marcus/Megan and can’t stop thinking how much I enjoyed the entire line up. Chardonnay, Pinot and Riesling. Approachable, great texture/weight and extremely aromatic across the board. I had a very hard time limiting what to take home. It seems like the early drinking window will be open on the longer side of one year. Extremely excited for the reserves this fall!