Got a disappointed bottle, but Problem Resolved

Low levels of TCA while virtually imperceivable to smell or taste can render a wine void of aromas or flavors. If he really couldn’t smell or taste anything, this could have been the case. Or less likely, the wine is going through a dumb period.

Slightly off topic, but curious to know if there is a consensus that a lot of 2013 Napa cabernets are shut down now. Not saying I disagree, but looking for data or other insights that support this view.

I’ve tried a couple 2013 Cabs recently - Spottswoode and Maybach Materium - thinking that at 7 years old, they should start to be showing nicely. Even with a few hours in the decanter, both were tight and not offering much. I’m thinking of trying them again around their 10th birthday.

To try to keep this on topic, if the Realm was PnP, I’m not surprised it was “boring and flat”. If the OP took it back a day or two later, it probably was tasting very nice after being opened for that time.

We should await the sequel video.

lol, pretty sure K&L’s stellar reputation will survive this brutal frontal attack blahblah

Agree that visible cork condition does not have anything to do with being corked. I also agree with Michael, if all the corked wine you’ve had smell of wet cardboard, then you are either drinking corked wine without noticing upon occasion.

Most of the corked wines I’ve had don’t smell of wet cardboard overtly, but can be readily seen as flawed when compared is with another bottle of the same wine.

I’ve brought corked wines back to K&L and never had a problem with replacement. One of the best retailers in America. BTW: That cork looks in great shape. Sorry to hear the wine did not impress.

Sean

Too late. I’ve already wasted money on many cases from K&L. By some miracle, I have been lucky enough to encounter only exemplary customer service 100% of the time.

With TCA, in my experience, the taint smell gets stronger the longer the bottle is open. If the OP took the bottle back a day or two later, it should have been pretty obvious.

Also with TCA the fruit is completely stripped. Is that what the OP is describing by ‘boring and bland.’

I noticed that in the video, the ah-so was in all the way to the hub, and still was not able to fully extract the cork. In other words, this is an extremely long cork, which may have something to do with why there was wine staining part of the way up.
Lastly, I was not there, but the fact that they “asked you to leave“ likely said something about your comportment in this situation.

Waving a long cork will not impress anybody.

I am going to jump on the pro K&L bandwagon here because I know the owners and Redwood City staff well, having worked there part-time for several years after I retired. This is a first class operation, run by honest people who treat their customers, and employees, with respect. Obviously the interaction between the OP and K&L was unsatisfactory to him, and perhaps it could have been handled more tactfully by the K&L employee, but some people are impossible to please if they don’t get the answer they want. (Probably all of us are that way some of the time).

At any rate, I have nothing but respect for K&L and will continue to spend my wine budget there.

The bottle could be taken to a lab like ETS for analysis.

Results guaranteed within 12 months?

A lot of responses all over the board of which a few I can agree on…cork condition has nothing to do with TCA…TCA contamination has nothing to do with cork condition…this wine can definitely still be corked/affected, even without overwhelming mustiness, I have had plenty of wines that lack fruit and only present as a mild metallic note…the OP doesn’t make it sound like his attitude about this wine when walking into K&L made them want to assist him and I’d trust their assessment of the wine if tasted…finally returning a wine you don’t like as “corked” is the same as stealing if you are just trying to get another bottle or pressure the retailer.

Lastly, Chris, it sucks when a bottle of this caliber doesn’t perform. Sorry it didn’t meet your likely lofty expectations. Keep posting…rough way to say hello though

My many decades of experience suggest I will continue to waste my money at K&L, gladly.

I cannot image NOT being underwhelmed with a bottle I spent $750 on.

A quick check on CT shows that many recent notes suggest this wine has shut down and needs time. Actually kind of surprising to me based on Realm wines I’ve had lately. A ‘14 Dr Crane from Magnum earlier this year was magic.

Based on the description, it seems to me far more likely that the wine was shut down than that it was tainted. As others have said, there is no relationship between the physical appearance of the cork and cork taint, and that cork looks to be in fine shape. If anything, the staining might suggest some heat damage (I doubt it, but it seems far more likely than cork taint) which could subdue the flavors and aroma.

I also wonder about the nature of the interaction with the staff if they asked the OP to leave the store.

Finally, this is one reason why I have zero interest in purchasing wines in this price range. Even an otherwise delightful bottle threatens to be a disappointment if it isn’t orgasmic. Hard to just shrug your shoulders and move on with a $700 bottle of wine.

I’ve been shopping at K&L for yearrrrrrrs. Spend thousands there annually. Through all of this, the only bottle I have ever had that was bad from the was from the redwood store, normally shop at SF. Was a 13’ domaine de chevalier blanc mag. Brought to a restaurant to share for a birthday and was disgusting, I am aware what “corked” wine tastes like. I thought, eh oh well it happens. Had them toss the bottle.

Mentioned it a few weeks later when checking out and they told me I should have saved and brought back and they would have given me a refund or store credit, was shocked by this and appreciated the sentiment. I’ve never had a single doubt that they really meant it. A top notch wine store that I feel lucky is so close by, always great staff and selection.