Got a disappointed bottle, but Problem Resolved

1)K&L is a great store
2)As said 100X above cork quality has nothing to do with TCA (corked)
3) The cork looked to be in fine shape, high quality

BUT even with a long cork, I don’t expect a wine that has been in bottle for 4-5 years to have that level of streaking.

It is a possible the wine was mildly cooked, IMO. Cooked wines can also lose fruit, taste muted. Badly cooked wines tend to be more stewed.

I thought heat damage seeing that cork. Which would explain the loss of fruit/boring taste.

Hi Chris,

Sorry the bottle wasn’t as you expected. I’ve had many corked bottles that present the way yours did — I’m fairly surprised to see some folks here suggesting that a corked wine will or must taste/smell musty/of wet cardboard/newspapers. If we just focus on the manner in which you describe the wine, I wouldn’t doubt your report of “corked.” There does appear to be a fair amount of streaking on the cork, given the wine’s age, so your wine may have been cooked to some extent somewhere along the way — that could be an explanation for your experience, but I say that with trepidation because I’ve never felt that “cooked” and “corked” present similarly, but for in typographical symbols.

That said, there are a few things going on here that give a reasonable person reasons to doubt you; they’ve all been mentioned already, so no need to repeat.

Question that nobody has asked yet: why were you taking a video of the cork removal? I don’t think I’ve ever taken video of a wine being opened with the exception of sabering of sparkling wines; I will probably take video the first time somebody uses port tongs in my presence, too. Struck me as odd, and now I’m curious.

Neal, you’re being charitable (which is a virtue). But the tone of the OP, along with his clear lack of knowledge, indicates to me he’s a wanker that likes to hear himself righteously complain. Your attitude shows you’re the better man, but…

A $750 experience is worth recording and sharing…usually.

And folks, you all understand that most folks truly don’t know what a ‘corked’ wine is, right? It has become a ‘kitchen sink’ descriptor for a wine that is either ‘not right’ or ‘off’ to them.

This is a perfect example of a situation that we can all learn from - and offer objective, reasoned advice.

Cheers.

Was just wondering the same.

[popcorn.gif]

So sad for OP.

Maybe they can try the Harrison Street K&L location (which I prefer for its easy access) to see if they will get a better result.

I don’t understand why they were recording them opening the bottle though.

Can anyone explain?

A $750 experience is worth recording and sharing…usually.

Maybe because opening a $750 wine is an occasion worth documenting?

Why is nobody asking the more important question: Why is someone tending to two little tiny pieces of vegetable on an indoor grill?

Six posts and we’re bashing one of America’s great wine retailers. Nicely done.

Not only is the appearance of the cork unrelated to TCA, but storage wouldn’t have been a factor in corkiness.

Because he dropped his wad on the wine, not the steaks. Probably all he could find in the fridge after saying, “oh shit”.

the wine is “Absurd” for a reason

Wine most likely had some sort of heat damage either during delivery or while being kept wherever that may have been (home?). Wine with heat damage often tastes very muted without much fruit and can be very austere. K&L would have no insurance in place for such a loss. FedEx or UPS has $100 of insurance, but excludes heat/freezing damage. All in all that is a major bummer.

Screw the cork and corked non-issue, I want to know why someone is the background is cooking two edamame beans! Two whole beans? Is that all you have to eat after spending $750 on a bottle of crap wine?

Been buying from K&L forever. Their customer service is the best. Reminds me of Costco/Nordstrom/Amazon.

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with K&L. I’ve mostly bought from their auctions and hoping not to mess with my mojo by saying this, have had perfect bottles.

Mods…isn’t the OP violating board rules on real name or having in signature line?