Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

I was wondering when we would hear from Berserkers hit by the COVID. I hope any who are come out on the other side like you to tell us about the experience.

Here is a link to a brief explanation about how COVID-19 disrupts supporting cells, not the receptor neurons themselves. That gives a lot more assurance that loss of smell is not permanent.

This is my field.
We do not know for sure why there is olfactory dysfunction but the French experts feel it is due to epithelial modification rather than destruction of the olfactory sensory neurons, and this would be good news.This article from Harvard is pretty much saying the same thing. Try vitamin A daily .

Don’t know where you live but you could see Dr. Richard Doty of the ENT dept at University of Pennsylvania to see if he can do anything.

My BIL just had it. Fortunately, no big deal for him and only 1 day of mild symptoms. Lost his sense of smell, but didn’t stop him from drinking wine for the 10 days after while quarantined at home. Smell came back towards the end and today he’s released back into the public.

Hi Brian,

I’m sorry to hear about your illness. Here’s wishing you a full and speedy recovery and particularly a return to full taste and smell ASAP.

To share one data point for whatever it is worth, one person I know well who also works in the wine industry contracted covid and suffered full loss of smell and taste. That person took several weeks but made a very full recovery and I know has been drinking lots of great wine recently without missing a beat. I hope that it provides a little comfort to know other wine folks have come back from it with full taste and smell restored.

Very sorry to hear that Brian, I hope you recovery fully!

From one Brian to another here’s hoping everything returns to normal for you. This thing scares the crap out of me and I have to be out in the public 5 days a week interacting with customers son it’s always in the back of my mind.

My sister and her partner both had 19, bad, and both had anosmia. Both are back to normal now.

Glad you are recovering Buzz!

Glad to hear you are on the mend Buzz. Have you been able to trace back to where you were exposed to the virus? Turn around time for testing is indeed a joke. Did you quarantine yourself after you got the symptoms and were tested?

Dang, Buzz, sorry to hear that but glad to hear that you’re on the way back. Here’s to a 100% recovery! [cheers.gif]

Feel better soon Buzz, glad to hear you on are the mend. Can’t wait to read your first tasting note back.

Looking forward to your first tasting note when back. Glad to hear you are heading in the right direction.

1 Like

Peter/Larry…most likely from work. I am a finance mgr at a high volume auto dealer, so we see a LOT of people come through the dealership. Even though we mandate face coverings, cleaning crew 3 times a day, shields on desks…and we even have a couple power sprayers that we spray down desks and chairs after each customer…I’m pretty sure that’s where I got it. Ironically being the resident germophobe…I’m the only one that has come down with it…out of 100 people in our sales dept. I was on my second day off(of 4) when the symptoms started, so I self q’d at home(too sick to work) for two weeks. Amazing that my family didn’t get it. But I did my best to stay away from them. They called me the Boy in the Bubble! [wow.gif]

Glad you’re getting better, hope you’re back to the razor-sharp whites soon!

Wife just had me open your Cinsault Rose’…maybe I’ll try to see if I can smell and taste it! [wink.gif]

Another Steeler fan here with well wishes for a complete return to health.

We need more 99 point tasting notes!! [cheers.gif]

PS - it took a week for my testing results to come back, which made it over 2 weeks since I was exposed to it. Fortunately, I was negative.

I’m the same way, I do everything to prevent from catching even a cold and so this has me super freaked out. Glad you’re OK!

Buzz, hoping you have a full recovery. I didn’t know you were a Steelers fan.

Yep, he is one of the smart ones…

Buzz,

So glad you are on the mend. The time arc of your recovery provides a lot of hope for a very good prognosis. Keep us posted, as you are now a human data point (and a great TN writer)!

Very best wishes,
Doug