Greatest Vintage of Oregon Pinot

A couple of winemakers have told me they believe 2012 will turn out to be in the top 3 since 1979 for them. It was certainly easier than 2011, anyway!

For 2012,

ITBers = 2008 or better
AFWE buyers like me:

RT

1994 and 1998. Both before the corner winemaking stands popped up, and scores became important. Wines have aged effortlessly

First heard about Oregon Pinot with the '94 vintage. Spectacular wines and agree with Ian, some forgotten bottles I figured would be over the hill were still spectacular years later.

I will say that 12 makes you feel really good early about the upside potential.

[quote=ā€œIan Dorinā€]corner winemaking stands/quote]
[scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about 1983 and 1985. The best Oregon Pinot Iā€™ve ever had was the 1983 Eyrie South Block Reserve I tasted last May. Personally Iā€™d take 1993 over 1994, but this is probably a 2010 versus 2009 thing. Iā€™ve tasted too many 1994s where the winemaker didnā€™t know how to handle the ripeness.

85, 94 and 99 to me. 88 was also pretty good.

94, 99, 02, 05, 07. Anything younger has not shown enough to pass definitive opinion.

My vote goes to 94` and Beaux Freres gets the top wine of the vintage.

I remember an ā€™ 83 or '85 that John Eliason (La Bete) made in his laundry room. Stunning.

Surprised at all the replies considering the other post. Certainly enjoying the reading. I was fortunate enough to be in Oregon when the 98 vintage was coming to market. Boy were the winemakers pleased to be pouring their 98s. Absolutely thrilled. At the time, I did not know 98 was following 3 tough years. Ended up spending 3 days tasting all over the WV. Fantastic trip that including some skiing on Mt. Hood.

My favorites to date are the:

98, 99, 02 and 05

Some memorable wines include: 98 Archery Summit Premier Cuvee (wish I still had a few of these, probably the QPR of the vintage), 98 Domaine Serene Guadalupe and Evanstad Reserve, 98 Ponzi Reseve, 98, 99 and 02 BF, 98 & 99 Ken Wright Arcus, 05 Le Cadeau Diversite. Not so memorable was the 98 Thomas - I didnā€™t know you could make wine from grape stems

Next Tier:

00 & 01

Next Tier

03, 04, 06

Waiting to be judged

07 forward (just havenā€™t tried enough)
94, recently bought a few from auction and am very excited to try

There seemed to be a huge surge of garage wine operations somewhere right around 2002 vintage or so. I think the Carlton Winemaking Studio paved the way for a lot of that.
We tasted some awful stuff circa 2005/2006 vintage. Labels Iā€™ve not seen since. Couldnā€™t even tell you what they were at this point, I tried to block them out of my memory.

+1 on the 94 Beaux Freres. Has great depth and seemed to age forever.

Good memories, old-timers! '85 Arterberry, '85 Yamhill Valley Vyds, '85 Ponzi, '83 and '85 Knudsen-Erathsā€¦and many more. And lots of great stuff from John E over the years for us AFWE-ers, from several locations.

Nice one Rich. Talked with Brian Oā€™Donnell yesterday, he found 2012 was tracking heat-units closely with 2002 and 1993 (two of his favorite prior years) until our mid-September warm/humid period bumped them up a bitā€¦

Iā€™m not old enough to have had the wines from the 90ā€™s in their prime but Iā€™ve been lucky enough to have tasted some stunning 93ā€™s and 94ā€™s plus a handful of 96ā€™s over the years. What about 91 and 92? I donā€™t know how theyā€™d be now but I tasted 91 Beaux Freres, 91 Panther Creek Beaux Frere, and 92 Ponzi Reserve around 2003 or 2004 that were still great wines. Iā€™ll lose all respect from Bob Wood, but I also thought the 92 Domain Sereneā€™s were good at the time.

I once enjoyed an Aussie shiraz so itā€™s okay, Rachel. Weā€™ll forgive you this time. [rofl.gif]

Wasnā€™t Ken Wright making the wine for them then?

Not until '93.