Halcon for Sale?

Happy for you, Paul. The beauty of life is that it is ever-changing, never static. You’ve had a great run and we’ve all shared. Cheers.

2 Likes

It’ll all be gone by then, and I plan to play as big a part in accomplishing that as my budget will allow.

Looks like I need to order some Halcon to try.

Paul, all the best in this upcoming next chapter, may it be prosperous and fulfilling. Keep us all updated

Paul and Jackie are two of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Wish them all the best in the future.

Tom

Berserker crowd sourcing to buy it and hire Steve Matthiasson to manage the vineyard, and Steve Edmunds to make the wine?

9 Likes

I’m in [wow.gif]

In. [berserker.gif]

I was considering this for real, having run two panel discussions for the NYS Bar Association on CrowdFunding. There are significant securities laws that have to be dealt with. This is not just paying $300 and hoping you get a pizza oven. I have already had this conversation on other winery ventures with other people and if I were an SEC enforcement attorney, there would be a lot of unhappy people in the industry who did not listen. AND that is before you get to California state securities laws, dealing with which make a day in Lubjanka prison look like a picnic. BUT it can be done. It’s just like how porcupines have sex. If anyone is serious and not just joking around, send me a PM and we can explore the possibilities.

If you want a short course, here is an article I wrote 5 years ago. https://www.gdblaw.com/Crowdfunding-Can-I-Use-it-to-Raise-Money

Absolutely in, and I can get at least 50 more to go in

With all this dreamy talk, if we do this, gotta rename it to truly own it.

I’m thinking, Halcyon Sera.

1 Like

No. Halcon.

I remember the last two times wine board participants organized a wine making / group auction buying group.

I’m in!

What could go wrong?

1 Like

I don’t recall this…what was it??

WCWN made some wine and the project went off the rails. Then, there was the burgundy auction group where the guy running project had many issues in getting the wine to the participants in a timely manner. Being on the sidelines for both, I don’t have any of the details, just the memories of the problems voiced on various wine boards.

Maybe others can fill in the details?

WCWN “crowd sourced” some wine. It was a great idea. It was stuff like four barrels of pinot from the same vineyard, but one each new American oak, used American oak, new French oak, new American oak and you could taste them side by side. Those aren’t necessarily the specifics, but it was along those lines. And since it was “our” wine, we got to call the parameters - I think we voted on what variables we wanted to explore.

I don’t know exactly what went wrong, but my impression was that Brad committed to certain expenses based on people saying they were in, but without them sending in their money, and when the time came, many backed out, leaving him with a big whole in his checkbook and a lot of wine. That said, I paid up for my share (split with a friend), and Brad did get us our wine. AFAIK, everyone who paid got their wine, but there were some delays and the people who backed out cost Brad a bunch of money, which was quite unfortunate. He put a lot of effort into it and no good deed goes unpunished.

That said, I’m in as long as the name remains Halcón.

I visited Paul last month at the vineyard to get photography for the magazine. Until I was there I didn’t appreciate how remote it was. I’m happy to have had the experience as it is a special parcel on top of everything. Paul used to take all of my ‘gently used’ styrofoam from samples. Not sure where I can upcycle it now. I know what I will drink tonight with steaks though.

I could be interested. Being a limited partner sounds better than being a nearly nothing stockholder in a publicly traded winery.

I mean, it’s worth it if only to get to put “ITB - part owner of Halcon Vineyards Winery” on your sig line.

1 Like

Would for sure be interesting to see Berserkers crowd fund the acquisition of Halcon. Alternatively, Todd could just use all that extra revenue from Monopole Cru to buy it outright neener

1 Like