Halcon for Sale?

Going to miss the Syrah nights on the back porch. [drinkers.gif]

Cheers to you Paul and Jackie for doing it your way! [cheers.gif] champagne.gif

I am really surprised to see the vineyard for sale here. I spent a great afternoon up in the vineyard with Paul and Jackie back in 2017. What incredible people and a very special vineyard. I still have a few mixed cases of HalcĆ³n from bottling days with them back in the day over at the Roar facility but will definitely have to pick up some of the 2019s. The Alturas has always been favorite of mine and a fun wine to blind folks on.

We are wishing Paul and Jackie all the best in the sale and in their new chapter in Europe and I hope the next owner can build on their incredible work.

This is very out of character, Jay. Since when have you become a killjoy? [wow.gif]

I second your thoughts about that wonderful afternoon visiting with Paul and Jackie at the vineyard, Rob. A truly memorable time with a couple of generous and talented people. And I also wish Paul and Jackie the best in their future endeavors. [cheers.gif]

Link to write-up on that summer 2017 visit with Paul and Jackie at the vineyard: Mendocino County Wine Tour - August 2017 - Part 1

1 Like

Best of luck! And if you have any questions about Portugal/Northern Spain I might be able to help with, feel free to send PM.

Wishing Paul and Jackie all the best in their next chapter. Since I am on their mailing list, the fall newsletter should be interestingā€¦

Cheers,
JP

1 Like

Sad but understandable. Doing business in CA has gotten progressively worse - taxes, regulations, labor issues - not to mention annual fire storms and now a record drought. Every week we hear from a few more leaving the state and some the country.

That and thanks to 100T in stimmy sloshing around, RE and all other asset prices are at all time highs. Sell, sell, sell! champagne.gif

I was involved in setting that up too, and I canā€™t speak for the rest of the participants, but I have a lot of 2005 Grand Cru Burgundy from that venture. Donā€™t tell anyone, because it will ruin my reputation as a Saxum/SQN/Cayuse collector. AND the 2005 Les Genevrieres Meursault with 16 years and no premox is OUTSTANDING! But I do not want to rehash that one. So long as Ray Walker has nothing to do with it, and no one expects a material profit, then it can be a viable venture by taking advantage of the free efforts that wine geeks are willing to put into it. However, if the property costs $ 2million, it would be necessary to raise a lot more than that to make it work.

Todd could sell ownership via a wineberserker subscription. LOL

1 Like

Could have been written by Victor [snort.gif]

William f Kelley as winemaker?

2 Likes

Best wishes to Paul and Jackie!

That has absolutely nothing to do with their move but thanks for the California bash. rolleyes

3 Likes

Paul, the best to you and Jackie.

Having had the 2018 and 2019 Alturas this year, those wines are outstanding. Aromatics, balance, flavor profileā€¦you really have something special there at Halcon and you have done a wonderful job of making the fruit shine. Really remarkable Syrahs that Iā€™m happy to have tasted. I simply hope that whomever takes over Halcon truly does the special things to it that you have shown in the wines you have made.

champagne.gif

1 Like

Coincidence that these 2 topics are next to each other??

Time to Invest in Wine
by Kelly Walker Ā» Tue May 18, 2021 9:40 pm
Replies
Views
Last post
by Arv R
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:19 am

Halcon for Sale?
by Casey Hartlip Ā» Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:06 am

Replies
Views
Last post
by Brian Tuite
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:18 am

I think not!

1 Like

Haters gonna hate.

1 Like

One thing I am surprised about is that the winery just got started. Havenā€™t there only been wine produced from 2014?

Fruit was first bottle by Copain in 2008 and I think Paul did syrah in 2009. Wells had worked with Paul to get the vineyard started.

The socal crew has chugged its way through a lot of that first Copain vintage.

Yes! Someone make it happen.

Rough guess. Give me $4 million and I think I can make it happen.