Halcon Rhone Pack

David

As mentioned above, I suggest Mourvedre->Esquisto->Elevacion->Alturas for the 2018s. I would recommend double decant 4-6hrs ahead and if possible, leave a little to try the next day. Let me know what you think.

Paul

Oh cool, thanks for those recos. Mine came in this past week as well.

I thought some folks may be interested in the Vinous (Antonio) reviews:

Halcón’s 2018 Esquisto, 60% Grenache, 20% Mourvedre and 20% Syrah, is racy, savory and so expressive. I would give it a year or two in bottle to allow some of the edges to soften, but there is so much going on here. Dried flowers, mint, sage, dried flowers and herbs open up with a bit of time in the glass, but the Esquisto really needs time in bottle to be at its best, even if its pretty compelling today. 92+

The 2018 Mourvedre is light on its feet, aromatic and so expressive. Dried flowers, tobacco, cedar, licorice, pine and subtle earthy notes all grace this lithe, beautifully perfumed Mourvedre from Halcón. The 2018 is just lovely. 91

The 2018 Elevacion (Syrah) is bold, pungent and savory, all while retaining the mid-weight sense of structure that is such a signature here. Black pepper, lavender, mint, rose petal and dried herbs add lovely layers of dimension. The 2018 is super-expressive and really delicious today. 94

The 2018 Alturas is beautifully polished and nuanced. Rose petal, mint, spice and sweet red cherry give the 2018 striking aromatic intensity and perfume, all in a mid-weight style that is hugely appealing. Pliant and silky, with terrific balance, the 2018 has much to recommend it. A dollop of Viognier works so well here. 93

Paul

“…the 2017 is super-expressive and really delicious today.”

Is he referring to 2018 not the 2017?

I think that is a typo. Should be 2018. I will change assuming that.

Paul

Hey, want to meet Paul online?

Paul has graciously accepted a speaker role on the Wineberserker Rhone Ranger Video chat on April 23rd @ 5pmPT

You can ask him in person “why did you think it was a good idea to plant syrah at the North Pole?” [berserker.gif]

Details here

Excellent.

I am drinking the Mourvèdre from the 6 pack right now.

Literally, I just put mine away in the cellar. Today was “cellar organization day”

Note posted on the Mourvèdre

Looking forward to getting my hands on these - and a Roussanne - for our upcoming Live tasting. Make sure to order this if you have not - and I will be putting up an offer shortly for ‘compare/contrast’ sake.

Cheers!

In for a 6pack. Email sent.

Thanks Seth!

Paul

Damn you enablers…order in!

I’m supposed to be on a wine buying moratorium so I skipped this on Berserker Day. We recently had a 2014 Esquisto, though, and I remembered how much I enjoy these wines. In for a 6 if the offer is still open.

Thanks Dave and Jeff!

Paul

So many kind words about these wines. Time to give it a shot. Paul, will send you an email.

Thanks Rama.

Paul

got to get on this bandwagon!

email in 3,2,1…

Thanks Mel.

Paul

I secured my 6-pack last night with a phone call to Jackie. Can’t wait to give them a whirl!