Happy Burgundy Thursday

Fabulous wine. [winner.gif]

Last night my Burg group celebrated Burgundy Thursday with Volnay night.

I would put Hilton Head, Kiawah, Chapel Hill and Savannah near the top of my redneck Mecca list, but I am prejudiced - grew up in Savannah and went to college in Chapel Hill.

2001 Mongeard Mugneret Vosne Romanee Les Orveaux - Decanted two hours and serially checked and then consumed over the next two hours (with two helpers). Burgundy core color with a maple syrup penumbra. Aromas of warm blackberry and currants. Satiny entry. Any oak is pretty well integrated. On the palate, it opens with a chalky wash, and then a good swish evokes white pepper flecks, which then glides into a spice finish. Still some cut on the finish. This is in a good place.

Surprisingly, opened well in advance Bourgogne Grivot 2007 had quite a nose and drank very well last night. Boxing above its rank.

06 Bernard Morey Santenay Vv–pleasant enough

2002 Jean Claude Boisset - Chambolle-Musigny Les Charmes. Jeweled ruby color with an oily meniscus. Flamboyant aromas of warm brown sugar, lavender and spice come out to greet my nose about six inches before the bowl (nearly cut my nose off jamming it into the bowl). I let this breathe in a burgundy bowl stem for about two hours. Silky entry. Opens with direct, palate-coating dried cherry intermingled with underbrush. The finish is dusty and long. As it fans out, there is a good bit of acid, which seems to extend it. This tastes fresh.

2009 Arnoux-Lachaux Bourgogne Pinot Fin - too modern. Much prefer 2008 Arnoux vs. 2009

By happenstance we had 3 Burgs tonight:

1990 Domaine Leflaive Bienvenues Batard Montrachet Grand Cru
1991 Domaine Leroy Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru
2001 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin Clos St Jacques 1er Cru

all with roast chicken, brussel sprouts and carmelized yams. Notes will follow on the wines.

prince florent de merode 2008 ladoix chaillots

am considering buisson-charles or pierre amiot for tonight…

Fourrier MSD Clos Solon 2007. Surprisingly acidic alla 2008. A very good drink.

Had that a week or two ago Antoine - I also thought it lovely! I note that they were ‘only’ £90 IB for 6 - those were the days…

Bill, I think I have ONE bottle of the 05 remaining. I’ve always loved that wine. I’m sorry they’re gone

Had a 2000 Mugneret-Gibourg NSG Chaignots over the last 2 nights. Yet another splendid bottle from a case that has delivered more pleasure than any other case I can recall. Consistently delicious.

Last night was a tasty 2002 Pousse d’Or Volnay Clos des 60 Oeuvress. Delicious, especially after about 30 minutes of opening.

2002 Jadot Clos Des Ursules. Pristine cork. Ruby color with some tawniness penetrating the body. Two hour decant. Aromas of moss, African violets and overarching dark cherry. Clean, clean, clean palate of cherry, spice box and rustle of mint leaf that seems to hover over the finish. Lovely purity and balance.

Another great 2002.

Scott: How did that Savigny turn out? I was just reading Bill Nanson’s latest set of notes, and realize Chenu is a name I don’t know much about. Isn’t he a Rosenthal import?

Cheers.

2009 Jean-Marc Bouley Rugiens tonight…

Hudelot Noellat les Charmes 2007 tonight… Lightish but very elegant.

Sorry, he’s a Weygandt import.

This is making me soooo thirsty…