Happy Burgundy Thursday

God forbid! The price of Burgs is bad enough as it is…

I got to celebrate “Seiber Monday” this week (spelling?), but that’s only once a year.

2007 Bertheau Chambolle Musigny 1er. Tight at first then beautiful perfumed nose and a nice balanced fruit finish. So good I pulled the trigger on some 2011 1er and Charmes.

nice
I have one or two more (CT says 2 but I’m skeptical)
I’m going to wait a while and open it with the o5 Chandon de Briailles.
Tonight, coq au vin again and 2009 Domaine Bernard & Thierry Glantenay Bourgogne Rouge (I was curious).
So far unimpressive but we’ll let it unwind a bit

Thanks. Which Briailles? I’d expect 05 to be very young for any 1er, certainly.

Actually, it’s “she” (though plural) – two sisters running the show. Dropped by in May during “Bienvenue a Savigny.” The sisters were very nice, the wines overall were decent, and a couple of them were quite nice, but there are better in Savigny.

Thanks - I thought it was Louis et filles. I like their website, btw: nicely understated and workmanlike, no bling.

Whose Savigny wines do you favor? Bize, Pavelot, and Chandon de Briailles don’t count. Also Camus-Bruchon, Guillemot, Ecard, and Clair. :slight_smile:

Great idea! I’m up for Burgundy every night!

Ian, you named all my favorites. Big on Pavelot and Briailles, and also Bize. Guillemot is underrated IMO. Haven’t had any Savigny from the others you listed.

Bize is out of reach for me now, Briailles headed there. I had my first Guillemots last year, except for Bourgogne, and liked them very much.

Claude and John Gilman both praise Camus-Bruchon highly, but I have’t found any near-by to try. Ecard had a fine reputation, but I haven’t been able to follow the changes in management following his retirement not long ago, and there are a couple of labels now, it seems like.

I was struck by the note Bill wrote on Cornu’s 2010 SlB Clous (I think) and would like to try some.

Planning Chenu and Briailles Lavieres side by side, even though the Briailles will taste younger I expect

Sounds good; please post notes. I’m hoping to do a Pavelot 2010 horizontal (Gravain, Guettes, Dominode) one of these days, if my Dominode ever gets here.

Happy Burgundy Valentine’s Thursday
HRH has demanded Poulet rôti for dinner
I’m softening her up with a 2009 Domaine Lucien Boillot et Fils Pinot Beurot Les Grands Poisots before I start cooking. With the chicken I’m thinking about 08 Vougeraie Charmes-Chambertin Les Mazoyeres out of curiosity.
Thoughts?
flirtysmile

Happy Burgundy (et al) Thursday

2009 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard
2005 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc Le Méal
2010 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Cuvée Roussanne Vieilles Vignes
1988 Domaine Louis Trapet Grand Cru Latricières-Chambertin
1994 Château Haut-Brion
1990 Château Latour Grand Vin

decent night [cheers.gif]

I actually prefer Camus-Bruchon over any other Savigny producer.
His wines are prettier, more elegant and are more ready to drink.

TTT

There’s a blast from the past. I had a chance to try the 2010 C-B Lavieres after writing that and liked it very much. Bize is still top of the heap for me, though I can barely afford him now.

ANOTHER WEEK, ANOTHER BURGUNDY THURSDAY - (12/27/2018)

HRH and I are now well into our 13th year of Burgundy Thursday (check post #1), and have yet to miss a week. We’ve had some fun last-minute scrambles over the years. A few favorites include

–sitting in a Moroccan-themed Paris restaurant with a group of our students while the server ransacked the back room for a delightful little Mercurey,

–being given a bottle of Meursault by Nick Peay from his private cellar, who insisted after a late afternoon tasting that we would never find something suitable on short notice,

–dealing with summer flu in the FL Keys and sipping a glass of PYCM Chassagne-Montrachet during a fever lull from the sick bed before collapsing when the fever returned.

–and a wonderful GM at the restaurant at Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, who dug out an aged bottle and sold it to us at cost because he loved the Burgundy Thursday story.

Recently in SC we have been dining at our golf club for Thursday night “Burgers and Brews,” then sipping a Burgundy at home. This week in FL, I have to cook so I’ve decided to do Bambi, Burgundy, and Barbaresco. It isn’t often that I get a chance to cook for our daughter, so I spent a little extra time in the kitchen.
Roast Venison
Soy Meat Glaze Butter Sauce
Stir-Fried Wild Rice Medley
Millionaire’s Bacon Lardons
Roasted Local Oyster Mushrooms
Swiss Chard/Collard Medley

I have a lurker whenever wine is being opened.

• 2013 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Senftenberger Piri - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal
    This wine is just delicious. It is a mineral-laden, zingy acid version of GV, with lots of lemon, grapefruit, and a tiny hint of honeyed beeswax. Ridiculous QPR.

• 1993 Domaine Michel Gaunoux Beaune - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune
    Tart red cherry, a little sour plum, soy sauce, Indian spice, nice acidity. Even at t his age, tannins dominate fruit. While I cannot seem to fall in love with Gaunoux wines, I do enjoy them. This one has certainly held up well, but lacks the complexity to make it exciting.

• 1964 Fratelli Minuto Barbaresco Pertinace Antico - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    Sometimes you win, sometimes not so much…
    Moderate TCA. I hoped that I was mistaking musty age for TCA, and that it would blow off in the decanter, but no such luck. There was a little dried flower and leather, but the fruit was killed by cork. Since the bottle was flawed, I do not want to give it a “thumbs down” vote. I have another bottle I will try soon.

• NV Les Vignerons de Maury Maury 1928 Solera Vin Doux Naturel - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Maury
    Typical Maury rustic tannins with notes of prune, dried fig, and light orange zest. There is enough acidity to balance the sweet, but not enough fruit to balance tannin. It is still very pleasant though.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have enjoyed this thread and participated on Cellar Tracker for several years. Some recent Thursdays include Vougeraie Charmes-Chambertin Les Mazoyeres (GC), 2007 Mugneret-Gibourg Chambolle-Musigny Feusselottes and 2010 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny.

Champagne has historically been declared in bounds too. 2008 Fallet-Dart.

Cheers!

Great tradition. Keep it up.

Necrothread, but HRH and I are now into our 16th year of our Burgundy Thursday streak.
A celebration is in order.

1 Like